What things are you old enough to remember?

God I used to love terry towelling nappies when my kids were small. Watching them all sparkling white in a row, blowing on the washing line, (the nappies, not the kids..)

Just call me strange.....

Ah yes, I'm exactly the same. I always used to wash them on the hottest wash possible so they were brilliant white. I used to make sure that they were hung very neatly on the line and nice and straight. I didnt have much line space so used to hang two rows on each line, overlapping them. Think I had a case of OCD!

Some things I remember are twin - tub washers, having no telly, phone, car, and obviously no on-line shopping so had to lug all the shopping home on the back of the pushchair.

Going carol singing with my friend and wanting to sing the whole lot while she got impatient and knocked on the doors after one line!

Squares of newspaper on a nail on the back of the toilet door, using too much and blocking the toilet up.

Playing with an ink bottle full of mercury which my brothers nicked from school.

Fighting with another girl on the way home from primary school and getting a bloody nose.

Oh, I could go on.........

And twice as big as now.:(

Are you sure that it wasn't you that was half as big? Although I would say that the chocolate was thicker!

---------- Post added 17-10-2013 at 18:52 ----------

I remember pre McDonald's, ashtrays on seats in cinemas, pubs closing at half 10 & then at 2 on Sunday they wouldn't even open Christmas Day as some now do. No shops open on a Sunday except for corner shop sometimes & offys, people being polite actually speaking to other people.

The old phones button A & button B to get money back, winning World Cup, World Cup Willie from 66 I cannot name any other mascot since. I remember boom, boom, boom, boom Esso Blue.

And on bus seats upstairs.And those little rough oblong metal things to strike your match on!

No I don't . Never have. Most of my friends, and I have many, like to hear me talk. I use American usage, a car has a hood and a trunk, not a bonnet and boot, I use an elevator when I go up one of our 60 floor buildings, somehow, a lift doesn't sound like it would make it. I watch soccer, which for some reason Brits hate a word created by the British. We have a football game of our own, which, of course, is played mostly by the hands except by a sole member of the team, whose only job is to kick conversions and punt returns, while dressed in full body armor for the full game, whose four, 15 minute periods can take several hours to complete.:)

Buck we have two similar games played with hands & feet, we call it rugby league & union, played by men who don't need body armour as they are hard :hihi:

---------- Post added 17-10-2013 at 19:04 ----------

I remember bus being 5p for a child and chocolate bars like mars and snickers being 27p instead of the now average 70p..

I remember 2p on bus for a kid, and 9p to town for adults, I remember going to school to learn & get an education

Crikey thinking back now what about ABC Minors Saturday mornings.

Crikey thinking back now what about ABC Minors Saturday mornings.

I used to love the Saturday morning matinee at The Classic, in Fitzalan Square back in the 60's.

Waiting outside the pub while my dad paid his sick club money.

Everyone standing at the end of a film whilst the National Anthem was played.

Being taught to carry neighbours shopping for them.

My dad climbing up the pole in our prefab back garden to move the TV aerial and my mom shouting when the picture improved.

No telephone and having to walk to relatives houses with messages.

Men who wore their old army belts and ties.

Seeing men who had been wounded in the war.

A warm spot in't entry that backed ont'a coal fire it brought a glow to the cheeks.

Getting in tin bath on a Sunday night (after all adults) bah, in front of coal fire in kitchen.

What about the range of boys shoes from Clark's called COMMNADOS

they had a small compass in the heal, and animal foot prints on the soles god seems years ago.

Sweet tobacco, Jubblies, cob n chips

Weren't the shoes with a compass in the heel and the animal foot prints called Wayfinders?

The sweet tobacco was called Spanish Gold, actually strips of desiccated coconut dyed brown.

Edited by Nagel

Weren't the shoes with a compass in the heel and the animal foot prints called Wayfinders?

The sweet tobacco was called Spanish Gold, actually strips of desiccated coconut dyed brown.

[/

Yes it was and IMS came in a red & yellow wax packet, also they did one called Spanish Gold Nuggets, which was little yellow pieces of bubble gum in a drawstring pack.

I remember watching the little white dot on the tv screen and hearing the high pitch whistle when the tv was switched off.

I remember Mick Chirms being on the front page of the sheffield star which was reporting the riot in longley park. (what year was that?)

I remember my nan rolling dough then poking her finger into the centre of each of her home made breadcakes then laying them in front of the fire before covering them with a tea towel.

I remember the ridleys spearmint machine that hung on the wall outside of Kays sweet shop, or was it a wool shop? that's now the carpet shop near southey library.

I remember davidsons hardware shop at the bottom of southey hill. I also remember the laundrette across the road from it.

So what things are you old enough to remember?

I can remember talking to a guy who claimed to have watched top division teams play football in Sheffield.