What things are you old enough to remember?

I remember the first stretch-arm-strong toy having Kirt Russle's face.

I remember the library on Barnsley road that had that amazing painted mural on the staircase walls and that circular wooden kids play thing.

I remember buying an "elephants foot" from that Fletchers van and also buying sweets from "Alf" when they came down deerlands avenue.

My Grandad's caravan at Ingoldmells. It had gas lights that hissed and a little wood burning stove with a chimney that went through the roof. Ingoldmells was all empty fields, just a cafe and bucket and spade shop near the beach.

Old enough to remember the Vietnam War and moon landings

Carpets not reaching to the edges of rooms. Frost on the inside of (single glazed) windows and making patterns in it. Lino on bedroom floors. Feeling cold on a regular basis (in winter). TVs that came in a wood cabinet and when you switched them off the image disappeared into a white dot.

I remember when they used to turn off the street lights late at night.

I can remember the little red parrafin lamps they used when they dug the roads up..the squarish ones with the built in hook on the top

like this one

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=360&pos=33

I can remember really thick fog..we don't seem to get that much any more..

Making trollies out of pram wheels (big ones at the back) and bits of wood...

looking forward to getting the free gift in the Beano or Dandy...

helping my dad get a ton of coal in from the road to the coal house using a little shovel and a bucket..

playing cricket on the field across the road with all the other lads and dads off the street..

making slides on the snow in winter and then watching my mum get rid of them by putting the ash down out of the fire.. (spoilsport)..

getting a lucky bag from the rag and bone man for giving him some old clothes and stuff..

bringing a jug of beer back home for my dad from the off licence on a Sunday afternoon after he got back from the social club...

Edited by truman

Ayup! I can remember when haddock were tuppence a pound and t' trolley fare to Hathersage an' back cost sixpence, go out for an evenin' on't town wi ten bob in me pocket and still come home wi change to spare

I remember when there was shops and no park hill flats on duke street. Also the old Embassey Flats.

Marble drinking fountains in the park, with an outlet for your dog to drink also.

---------- Post added 25-09-2013 at 12:05 ----------

Listening to t'radio:

ITMA

Dick Barton

Don't you mean 'wireless'?

---------- Post added 25-09-2013 at 12:08 ----------

What about when the letters A to Z were used for half-time scores at football,and the players would live in the next street.And when all men wore Brylcreme and would never be seen shopping-real men in them days.

'John Collier, John Collier the window to watch'.

I can remember really thick fog..we don't seem to get that much any more..

Making trollies out of pram wheels (big ones at the back) and bits of wood...

looking forward to getting the free gift in the Beano or Dandy...

helping my dad get a ton of coal in from the road to the coal house using a little shovel and a bucket..

playing cricket on the field across the road with all the other lads and dads off the street..

making slides on the snow in winter and then watching my mum get rid of them by putting the ash down out of the fire.. (spoilsport)..

getting a lucky bag from the rag and bone man for giving him some old clothes and stuff..

bringing a jug of beer back home for my dad from the off licence on a Sunday afternoon after he got back from the social club...

it is uncanny how much that mirrors my childhood (and no doubt quite a few other posters of a similar age)

except with us the dads didn't join in the cricket they just barracked from the edge of the field, and we only got a balloon from the rag and bone man

I can remember being made to have a bath after we'd shovelled all the coal up and being sent back to clean the dust out of my nostrils

i can also remember my mate's dad getting a couple of old tarry railway sleepers and we spent ages sawing them up and chopping them for firewood and selling them to the old ladies on our estate to pay for a load of bangers and jumping jacks on bonfire night