What things are you old enough to remember?

Because we all used to have one way back when we had men who made the best steel in the world. No poncy Uni accents then.

Have you had to adapt your accent to be understood in the USA?

---------- Post added 28-09-2013 at 23:56 ----------

Must be because it's the Sheffield Forum. I wouldnt want to talk like some prissy BBC announcer anyway. People might think I was born somewhere south of Leicester.

Likewise. Do you now speak with an American accent?

No. I was twenty-five when I came here and people at that age dont change accents much unless they want to on purpose....... which I dont.

I've fallen into the habit of using American expressions which is natural after being here so long.

Couldnt begin to count the number of Americans over the years who've said "I just love your accent"

---------- Post added 29-09-2013 at 05:25 ----------

Playing conkers and marbles during break times at school

Tizer, Dandelion and Burdock and Bassetts Allsorts

Wedensday shirts in blue and white vertical stripes. Derek Dooley who played for Wednesday before he sadly lost a leg

No I don't . Never have. Most of my friends, and I have many, like to hear me talk. I use American usage, a car has a hood and a trunk, not a bonnet and boot, I use an elevator when I go up one of our 60 floor buildings, somehow, a lift doesn't sound like it would make it. I watch soccer, which for some reason Brits hate a word created by the British. We have a football game of our own, which, of course, is played mostly by the hands except by a sole member of the team, whose only job is to kick conversions and punt returns, while dressed in full body armor for the full game, whose four, 15 minute periods can take several hours to complete.:)

our first telly had a knob you twiddled to change channels - there were only three at the time and the aerial was a long pointy thing sticking out the top that you also had to keep adjusting

Nowadays TV is full of "nobs" :hihi:

Classic Cinema Saturday matinee

Open backed buses

Coffee bars with juke boxes, and glass cups for coffee

People respecting their elders

No technology

This should strike a chord

TO ALL MY FRIENDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70’s

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank Sherry while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos...

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, bread and dripping, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds , KFC, Subway or Nandos.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on a Sunday, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers and Bubble Gum.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter, milk from the cow, and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O..K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii , X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY , no video/dvd films, or colour TV

no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no

Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time....

We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet because we didn't need to keep up with the Jones's!

Not everyone made the rugby/football/cricket/netball team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on

MERIT

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and throw the blackboard rubber at us if they thought we weren't concentrating ..

We can string sentences together and spell and have proper conversations because of a good, solid three R's education..

Our parents would tell us to ask a stranger to help us cross the road.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL !

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

All spot on ..... no central heating, frost on the inside of your windows in the winter.

Bathnight was Sunday and all the kids in the family shared the same bath water, the scum left a tidemark in the bath, mud, grass & grit if you were boys, and you often slept in your muck and put the same clothes on the next day and the next ..... :D

Football and cricket in the street or the nearest waste ground or park, out all day in the school holidays, pen knifes, fist fights, stone fights, scrapes and scraps, bumps and bruises and you only went to A&E if it was really bad when you had hobbled home.

You could call each other all the names under the sun and nobody got too offended .... Happy days :hihi:

No I don't . Never have. Most of my friends, and I have many, like to hear me talk. I use American usage, a car has a hood and a trunk, not a bonnet and boot, I use an elevator when I go up one of our 60 floor buildings, somehow, a lift doesn't sound like it would make it. I watch soccer, which for some reason Brits hate a word created by the British. We have a football game of our own, which, of course, is played mostly by the hands except by a sole member of the team, whose only job is to kick conversions and punt returns, while dressed in full body armor for the full game, whose four, 15 minute periods can take several hours to complete.:)

The Minnesota Vikings are playing against the Pittsburgh Steelers today at Wembley

I remember when I first started school back in 1898 , !!!!!. asking Mum what "sex" was . Mum looked at me with a right look on her face & thought , what on earth are they teaching her at Manor Lane Infant School . When she asked me what I meant , I said my friend has them in her shoe heels !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The look of relief on Mums face must have been priceless ! , she thought she was going to have to get Janet & John books out . I meant segs , Is that how you spell it ! . I said I wanted some in my heels because they made your shoe heels click :hihi:

My infant school used to have annual summer trips to Millhouses lido. I distinctly remember bobbing about amongst the dead ladybirds and bits of twigs and leaves around these hexagonal concrete things.

When were that then? because when I went there in 50 and 60s the paddling pools were oblong and had no as you put it hexagonal things. The had water running in at one end, three pools separated by railings and the water ran into the stream at the other end

---------- Post added 29-09-2013 at 18:30 ----------

I remember when I first started school back in 1898 , !!!!!. asking Mum what "sex" was . Mum looked at me with a right look on her face & thought , what on earth are they teaching her at Manor Lane Infant School . When she asked me what I meant , I said my friend has them in her shoe heels !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The look of relief on Mums face must have been priceless ! , she thought she was going to have to get Janet & John books out . I meant segs , Is that how you spell it ! . I said I wanted some in my heels because they made your shoe heels click :hihi:

Blimey wot war skoyl like under Queen Victoria?:D

[/b]

The Minnesota Vikings are playing against the Pittsburgh Steelers today at Wembley

I've been a Steelers fan for a long time, along with the Packers, but my Patriots are the best. A few minutes ago they won against Atlanta in a cliff hanger by seven. Superbowl again this season, fer sure.:hihi:

I've been a Steelers fan for a long time, along with the Packers, but my Patriots are the best. A few minutes ago they won against Atlanta in a cliff hanger by seven. Superbowl again this season, fer sure.:hihi:

Our son went down to San Diego today to see his beloved Dallas Cowboys play the Chargers (my team). The Cowboys lost. I'll wait a few days before I call him :D

When were that then? because when I went there in 50 and 60s the paddling pools were oblong and had no as you put it hexagonal things. The had water running in at one end, three pools separated by railings and the water ran into the stream at the other end

1977ish. The photo in my post is from 1970.

I'm referring to the lido, though, not the paddling pools. I remember the Millhouses paddling pools being as you describe them.

remember putting a shilling in the gas and electric meters to pay for power Going to see the nit nurse at school clinic, and the smell it left on your hair,going back in the classroom everyone knew you had nits also the malt the nurse gave you or cod liver oil capsuls