What things are you old enough to remember?

I remember not so long ago when Crystal Peaks wasn't full of Pound Shops, Pay Weekly Shops, Bookmakers and Pawn Brokers!

I can remember when Crystal Peaks wasn't there.. :)

Brown paper carrier bags with string handles that used to nearly cut your fingers off....

Road works warning lamps that were run with paraffin..

Making trollies from bits of wood and old pram wheels..

Having the polio vaccine on a sugar cube..

Edited by truman

catching the old fashioned trains at victoria station to bell vue in manchester.......

My first driving lesson was 15s (75p!) and a £1 to take my test!! I can't imagine what it costs today!!

I must agree that was cheap to learn to drive a horse and cart, the price shot up when the car was invented.:hihi:

i remember having to wear short trousers and long socks for school, even in winter. only when you were in the final year of junior school were you allowed long trousers.

i remember having to wear short trousers and long socks for school, even in winter. only when you were in the final year of junior school were you allowed long trousers.

You were lucky! you got away with a year, we had to wear short trousers until we got to senior school.:hihi:

well people, i remember 95% of what on this topic but none of you has mentioned the stamp machines outside of post offices they were used up until the 60's. I had to smile after reading this because i had forgotten a lot, thanks a lot.

ps do you remember the trams that when they got to the terminus the driver walked through and the conductor pulled all the seat to face the other way nowadays i call them push me pull me trams as they could be driven from either end

old white fivers

Edited by orbs
forgot fivers

All people have a different type of memory, some people remember very fast and some people forget in a moment like me. If things are used rare then it happened with me.

Proper money [and consequently 12x tables]

Proper counties

Steam Engines Locomotives

Trolley Buses

Buses run by the council, for the benefit of the local population and not private profit funnelled into the pockets of non-resident shareholders.

Inter-City Train services that didn't just evaporate after about 9 o'clock at night

Year-round British "Summer" Time

The dollar being worth about 7/-

The pound being worth over 5 DM

The coke lorry with the weighing scales on the back.

The Villa lorry with the suspiciously coloured carbonated drinks.

Water rates, being a couple of bob on top of the rateable value of the house, rather than a separate [and extortionate] biill.

North-Sea Gas was going to be "tuppence a therm"

Electricity generated by nuclear power would be "too cheap to meter"

Chapped legs, chill Blane's, scarlet fever, white dog dirt, horse and carts,Huggets,Dan Dare, Hopolong Cassidy,Sing some thing simple,The Saint,Mrs Dales Diary,and the Clithero Kid.

A later memory is the Cuban crisis ,we were all stuck to the wireless as the Russians edged towards Cuba with boats full of Nuclear weapons,every one thought that "this is it" Tomorrow we will be blown to Kingdom Kum" and then they turned round so we are still here! Up to now that is.

Chapped legs, chill Blane's, scarlet fever, white dog dirt, horse and carts,Huggets,Dan Dare, Hopolong Cassidy,Sing some thing simple,The Saint,Mrs Dales Diary,and the Clithero Kid.

A later memory is the Cuban crisis ,we were all stuck to the wireless as the Russians edged towards Cuba with boats full of Nuclear weapons,every one thought that "this is it" Tomorrow we will be blown to Kingdom Kum" and then they turned round so we are still here! Up to now that is.

Ah! White dog dirt! I remember that! I wonder why we don't see it anymore?

....the Suez crisis, my father was called up for it. Got as far as Bicester!!!!

Lace up footballs with the bladder inside.My grandmother's house on Granville St,Park.She had gas lights. No electicity. A wireless powered by a wet cell battery.