What things are you old enough to remember?

I remember the machines on buses that gave you a ticket with the printed image of the exact coins you had used to pay your fare on it

Edited by danot

i remember my dad taking a photo of the tv coverage of the moon landing on next door neighbour's telly - the tv picture was crap and the photo was even worse - a grey smudge against a black and white patterned background which was their wallpaper - you could just make out a lighter patch of grey which is supposedly neil armstrong

Does anyone remember SUFC topping the old Division One for a fortnight in 1971?

I do! with players like, Woodward, Curry, Badger,Flynn, Addison, Hemsley, Colquhoun, Tudor, Powell, Crawford, Deardon, Reece, Barlow, Barnwell, Buckley, and good old Hodgy. I think the best team United ever fielded.:thumbsup:

I remember London smogs, steam trains, being chucked out of the house in the morning and told to come back for lunch, when our "playground" was a beach at the bottom of a steep cliff. Pocket money was a ha'penny that could buy loads of sweets. In a Scottish winter, kids wore suspenders and wool stockings, a horrible rubber buttoned liberty bodice and it was still okay to own an anorak. Knitting was part of the school curriculum and nobody whinged that the nearest school was in a village 5 miles away and you had to walk there because there was no bus.

I do! with players like, Woodward, Curry, Badger,Flynn, Addison, Hemsley, Colquhoun, Tudor, Powell, Crawford, Deardon, Reece, Barlow, Barnwell, Buckley, and good old Hodgy. I think the best team United ever fielded.:thumbsup:

the last time united won anything robin hood robbed them :huh::huh::huh:

The national anthem being played when BBC1 "shut down" every night

Meadowhall opening and the news reports that "it would lead to the city centre becoming a ghost town"

When wearing seatbelts was optional

When public telephones took 2p or 10p coins and you dialled the number using a dial

One word - decimalisation

Tufty and the Green Cross Code

Green Shield stamps

i remember getting 240 penny's in a pound,,,,,now i only get 100

i presume the government gets the other 140?????

I remember the little cone shaped paper bags which held sweets from the shop. For some reason the Aberfan disaster really sticks in my mind, and the Cannock Chase murders. I remember thick ice on the inside of my bedroom window, and the huge icicles on the outside.

I remember Friar's Balsam - either rubbed on the chest or 2 drops on a lump of sugar

I Remember not having a TV. then having a TV was housed in a large polished cabinet like the gramaphone we wre blessed with one black and white channel showing on a screen about 12 inches/ 25cm yes 25cm not 125. eagerly waitiing for a film to be shown and as my dad was mending the(coal) fire shouting its in Technicolour and him banging his head on the mantlepiece as he stood up to look.

I remember having earache that was so bad I tried not to cry as it hurt more. I was too young to explain what was wrong. Terry towelling nappies and me wearing them and hating it when my bottom was cold with the wet.

I remember the last time the snow was so deep it was over the tops of your wellies on the way to school and it was too far to walk.

I remember being caned for being late to school and a weal on my hand that stayed for a week. My mother complained to the education committee. Don't say it never did you any harm because it definitely did.

I remember paying a penny bus fare to my first school in the 1950s. and five boys chocolate bars that were the same price.

I remember tinned fruit being a Sunday treat and it being served with bread and butter.

I remember terrible school meals that came in huge insulated canisters from a central kitchen because there was no school kitchen. having lessons in a hall that held two classes of at times over 50 children each and having all our books in a biscuit tin begged from a local corner shop. The hall doubled as a dining hall at dinnertime we had school assemblies in it used it as a gym and the school play was performed there. That must have taken some timetable expertise.

I remember trips to the seaside that started at seven in the morning for the 8 oclock train and ended in the late evening on scorching hot days and a yearly holiday in Scotland with my now long gone Grandmother and Aunt The train journey often started sat on a suitcase in a corridor before we could get into a compartment, the smell of the smoke from the engine the games played to pass the eight hours of the journey, I spy being the favourite and the declaration that we must have crossed the border because the grass was greener, no refreshments on board and my father hopping off at Carlisle to get tea and having to get on the train further down than we were in order to make it back in time and my mother panicking because he had the tickets.I remember no central heating except the lumpy porridge mum made the ham hock soup and the bread and dripping, Mediterranean diet! don't make me laugh. surviving the smog and the smoke was an achievement if you were born in Grimesthorpe when it had the distinction of being the Bronchitis capital of Britain.

I remember the old Manor picture house, it's now a supermarket and when they revamp it, and take the roof away you can still see the circle & seats upstairs. I also remember just outside on left were machines that gave you wrigleys, liquorice allsorts & polos, if memory serves 3d a pack, might have been 2d.