Akbars West St sheffield

Mentioned the "real" Akbars (Meadowbank Rd) many times on here, totally and utterly overrated, the place is like a cattle pen when busy with the no bookings policy (it helps to sell a few drinks) the place is too dark and the food is average at best. It was hyped up by advertising when it opened and it looks like some people have swallowed the hype.

Far better Indian restaurants in the area, the "fake" one on West St cannot be any worse.

I agree the 'real' akbars is highly overrated. Been there many times and its vastly overpriced. I wasnt impressed by the biryani which was just coloured Pilau rice with bog standard lamb/chicken pieces.

For an evening out for Indian/Pak food I'd personally much rather recommend Mangla on Spital Hill. Surroundings arent as 'posh' but for around £10 per head you'll have a really full on meal and come out really satisfied.

I'm Asian so I know my Indian/Pakistani food as I have it at home

---------- Post added 25-03-2013 at 16:08 ----------

Mentioned the "real" Akbars (Meadowbank Rd) many times on here, totally and utterly overrated, the place is like a cattle pen when busy with the no bookings policy (it helps to sell a few drinks) the place is too dark and the food is average at best. It was hyped up by advertising when it opened and it looks like some people have swallowed the hype.

Far better Indian restaurants in the area, the "fake" one on West St cannot be any worse.

I agree the 'real' akbars is highly overrated. Been there once and also have been to the original one in Bradford and its vastly overpriced. I wasnt impressed by the biryani which was just coloured Pilau rice with bog standard lamb/chicken pieces.

For an evening out for Indian/Pak food I'd personally much rather recommend Mangla on Spital Hill. Surroundings arent as 'posh' but for around £10 per head you'll have a really full on meal and come out really satisfied.

I'm Asian so I know my Indian/Pakistani food as I have it at home

---------- Post added 25-03-2013 at 16:09 ----------

really sorry about the jumled up post above. I think the forum is having problems editing posts with Chrome

I went again to Downtown Akbars on Saturday night and once again enjoyed the experience.

The food was pleasant, the price reasonable and the service good. One thing that really annoys me when I go out for a meal is having to wait ages for the bill having requested it. Once my night is over, I just want to pay up and get off home.

Fair play to Downtown Akbars, the bill arrived fairly sharpish, although with very few in on Saturday night (weather?) we may have just been lucky,

Regards

Doom

I went again to Downtown Akbars on Saturday night and once again enjoyed the experience.

The food was pleasant, the price reasonable and the service good. One thing that really annoys me when I go out for a meal is having to wait ages for the bill having requested it. Once my night is over, I just want to pay up and get off home.

Fair play to Downtown Akbars, the bill arrived fairly sharpish, although with very few in on Saturday night (weather?) we may have just been lucky,

Regards

Doom

Be twice on saturday nights both times it was busy food was very good service good too yes town very empty last sat gave curry a miss for a change

would recomend akbars to anyone great service ;)

it is a great place

always busy but you never waited too long

well worth the wait

good quality

rebecca

its quite nice for food but it does seem a little bit too dark, also if your on a budget you can get the chefs challenge and tell them you want it for 2 people, ive done this a couple of times with the mrs and they dont mind at all, its sort a of a large mixed meat curry, a large portion of rice and a huge nan bread, easily enough to fill 2 people and i think it was around £15, its on the menu but its in a box on its own titled chefs challenge, its supposed to be for one and if you eat it all i think its free so you can imagine how big the portion is

Hello, just seen passing on bus there is a new one on West Street and was wondering what all the hype is about.

I have been told its not the of the original Akbar's restaurants of West Yorkshire.

It's called Downtown Akbars, and we've had takeaway delivered twice from them ... bloody gorgeous too .... definitely recommended, and prices are competative too ;)

I have been told its not the of the original Akbar's restaurants of West Yorkshire.

It defo isn't the same chain. Seems rather cheeky that they even use the Akbar's name in their title.

if akbar is their name, whats the problem