Attercliffe 1953-60s

Opposite the end of Clay street.I got my first pair of specs there when I was 11.

hi joani i got my first glasses from there it was called giles

Can anyone name the teachers at Carbrook County school Attercliffe Common / Terry Street circa 1953.

I will start the ball rolling Mrs Featherstone. :huh:

Can anyone name the teachers at Carbrook County school Attercliffe Common / Terry Street circa 1953.

I will start the ball rolling Mrs Featherstone. :huh:

hi clifflad a few more when i was there headteacher middleton miss renshaw she had a red sports car david dunlop david marshall graham wassal think there was one called morton

I think the headteacher was a Mrs Carr when I was there. Yes, I do remember Miss Renshaw, she caned me twice , still feel it now. :hihi:

I was once told that the area from the bottom of Staniforth Road to Worksop Road (maybe further) was, before the first world war, one of the busiest shopping areas in Europe.

I cannot remember who told me, but in my lifetime there were two Burtons five cinemas, numerous pubs and clubs and a myriad of small retailers, it may be true.

Music hall as well, situated just below Banner's store. Banners very much like tv sit com , Are You Being Saved; remember buying a Teddy Boy jacket from the store.

Music hall as well, situated just below Banner's store. Banners very much like tv sit com , Are You Being Saved; remember buying a Teddy Boy jacket from the store.

i can remember you in teddy boy jacket when you worked with my dad.

I think the headteacher was a Mrs Carr when I was there. Yes, I do remember Miss Renshaw, she caned me twice , still feel it now. :hihi:
i also remember mrs carr and miss deacon the most frightening women I ever met but I was only 5 I think

is he still living

no sorry to say dad passed away 1992 aged 72 and mum passed away 2011.with you living down alfred rd i always thought you went to hartley brook or hatfield house lane

You have just brought a name back in my memory Miss Deacon, I was in her class. She used to have a group of us playing Post Office to get used to using money and counting /subtraction - I think she was a good teacher

The Music Hall was The Palace and one of the last to close, I remember going in to watch a show, the star was Danny Regan a local lad with a lovely tenor voice. The show was a revue with different sketches and songs, cant remember that much I was about 7.

When The Palace closed it became Brook Shaws Motor dealers. Almost next door was the Queens pub which has been derelict for about 30years. It si such a shame that these great buildings were abandoned or knocked down.