Council tax bill just arrived

My total bill, including the police, fire etc has gone up by a pound per month.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

Shaun Wright increased the amount for the police by 3.6%. If the money for the Council had also gone up by that sum, you would be paying a lot more than an extra pound a month. So whilst schools, road maintenance, care of the elderly, parks, libraries have to get by with no increase, the police need an inflation busting 3.6% when crime is falling.

Got mine today, don't know why they bother..

Didn't pay last year and wont be paying again this year.

No contract, no law, no money.

I'm not having my money going towards 'common purpose' courses at £3500 a time.

Sheffield council is riddled with common purpose graduates and the corruption stinks to high heaven.

Not paying for schools to teach the rubbish they teach either, my stepsons school recently had police there breathalising kids as they entered the school, they are cutting services and raising taxes... Well they are not doing it with my money.

Sheffield council are scum, the lot of em.

Have fun in jail.

Its going to be extremely difficult for people of working age who rely on benefits, as for the first time some will have to pay a contribution towards their council tax. As a pensioner, I think its unfair that people of my age who get all their council tax paid should be treated any different to younger ones. Lets face it, people on Guaranteed Pension Credit get around double what a younger person on benefits gets.

It seems that all the politicians are frightened they'll lose the 'grey' vote.

Your spot on there, i can't understand why some pensioners can't contribute either, my mum has never been as well off, she even says that, can you imagine, a group of our elders protesting to pay more council tax, lol, now that would be funny

just read through it and now have to pay 17 pounds a month

where am i supposed to find this money from is a mystery to me

money has not gone up

all other bills have gone up

not as worse off as some

if you are on the dole and on seventy one pounds a week how can you pay it

and if you work on a low wage you are going to be hit just as hard

maybe this will create some jobs by building prisons

no use fining anyone cos they ain't got no money

what a farce

this is the only time that i knew that someone thinks it is possible to get blood from a stone

Sounds like an incentive to find a job.

Most people of better off being worse off, the system pays better than most jobs, i think a big problem here is that maybe we have been spoiled in the past :roll:

we expect too much, there are places around the world that dont have a social system or do but its only fraction of what we have.

from what i can make out our went up a quid...might phone coppers...never used them yet but feel i should get something for my money :hihi:

It sounds like the situation whereby people are better off on benefits than a low paid starter job is changing, maybe it's time that they started job hunting instead of complaining about how they're going to afford to live on the state.

Being alive is an incentive to find a job, but simply looking for and applying for jobs is no guarratee of gettng one, it's taken me close on three years and more than 1200 applications to get the job I've currently got. It's not the effort or not of applicants, it the refusal of employers to actually employ people.

True, unemployment is still high and simply wanting a job doesn't guarantee one. Training some marketable skills helps though...

My office is way smaller than my house yet my business rates bill is over £11,000, and for that we don't even get a bin service!

My office is way smaller than my house yet my business rates bill is over £11,000, and for that we don't even get a bin service!

True I've had many different shops and workshops in Sheffield,every one the council have chased me out of the place with astronomic business rate charges,

I had a sort of lean to shop up Handsworth it was about 8 foot wide by 20 foot long no water no toilet no bins just a little place I could use as a workshop,the council wanted £2,500 a year rates and they wanted money up front as well, the rent was only £10 per week.

I'm trying to sign up for online payments, but it needs to send me a pin. However, before I can sort this, I need to enter a reference number. Can anyone tell me where this is please? I've tried the claim reference and account numbers on the letters I have, but its none of those!