Sheffield Clarion Ramblers

Hi Gaye, Thanks for that but I live up in the north east & had hoped someone has access to them.

John

looked in the rambling books that I have which are mainly from before 1st world war and 1940/50. The books give only the names of the presidents, secretaries, treasurer, committee members etc, not unfortunately the names of the individuals who went on each walk . I cannot find any with the name 'moores' among them .

The mass tresspass in 1932 was mainly by walkers/ramblers from Manchester , but they were joined by some 30 people from Sheffield many of whom would no doubt have been from the Sheffield Clarion Ramblers .The book about the Clarion Ramblers was published in 2002 I am sure you would be able to still purchase a copy should you wish, although I have looked at my copy and can find no reference to Moore . Still it is an interesting book .

Gaye

looked in the rambling books that I have which are mainly from before 1st world war and 1940/50. The books give only the names of the presidents, secretaries, treasurer, committee members etc, not unfortunately the names of the individuals who went on each walk . I cannot find any with the name 'moores' among them .

The mass tresspass in 1932 was mainly by walkers/ramblers from Manchester , but they were joined by some 30 people from Sheffield many of whom would no doubt have been from the Sheffield Clarion Ramblers .The book about the Clarion Ramblers was published in 2002 I am sure you would be able to still purchase a copy should you wish, although I have looked at my copy and can find no reference to Moore . Still it is an interesting book .

Gaye

Many thanks Gaye for the information.

John

Hi All, Just joined the Forum. I was a member of Clarion Ramblers from 1952 to 1956 when Nat. Service got in the way. Remembered two sections, Old`is and young`is, we were all apprentices from various industries, and plenty of girls were members. Good times, going from Sheffield Victoria on a double headed train to Hartington YHA Hostel for the weekend, being told off for jumping onto the track because the train was too long for the platform!! Helping the RAF Mountain Rescue, on an exercise to "find" a body on Kinder, I fired a Very pistol off, didnt know it was loaded, lucky it pointed into the ground! Dont remember the "Huts", only one I used was the one at the top of Dore & Totley, along with 200 cyclists!

My Dad and Uncle were on the 1932 Kinder adventure, my Dad was a policeman and if apprehended would have been sacked off the force.

Happy Days, where are we all now?? More laters.

You now have to enter

' http://www.dawnlittlehales.com/clarionsheffield.co.uk/index.html ' intothe top line on your screen to find the Sheffield Clarion web site. here you will find pictures of the Clarion huts and where they were situated.They were built as a club house for Clarion members of all the different Clarion activities.

If you were in the Sheffield Clarion Cycling club in the 50's you will also find pictures of members in this period .

Do you have any photos of you or your family in either the ramblers or the cycling club that you could send me copies of to include in this web site ?

Please contact me on the e-mail address which you will find on the Clarion web site if you have. Thanks

Edited by gaye

The Clarion hand books cannot be reproduced. But would like to include on the ' Sheffield Clarion ' web site copies of any photos you may have of members actually on Clarion Rambles, with if possible with the names of ( some if not all) the people and which ramble it was taken on or the approx date.

By sending me copies you retain the rights to the original photo, As I only want your permission to show them on the web site.

The site contains up to now, sections about the Sheffield Clarion Fellowship groups - Sheffield Clarion Club House Dore Moor, - and Sheffield Clarion Cycling Club .

The web site cannot be advertised on the open forum, so do please contact me on ' pm ' if you have anything you can contribute

Thanks Gaye

Edited by gaye
added to

If Gaye or PeterW are still on the forum and willing to talk to me, I am researching someone I believe to have been a member of the Clarion Ramblers during the 30's and who also knew GBH Ward and was in receipt of at least one annual handbook (1941). His name was Philip Poole. I have a list of other people he knew who may or may not have been associated with the ramblers and I'd be very keen to know if there are any membership lists from the 30's and 40's. If TRW is still around, can you help since you spoke about the archives? Did the web site Gaye mentions every get finished? And I am sure somewhere I read there was a possible film documentary being made, any and all information welcome

---------- Post added 24-10-2018 at 20:27 ----------

peterw I am researching someone who was probably a member during the 1930s, if you are still on this forum and interested to discuss, his name was Philip Poole. Certainly he spoke about G Ward and had the 1941 handbook sent even though he was in the army in Egypt at the time......