Sheffield Clarion Ramblers

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has memories or material about Sheffield Clarion Ramblers' involvement in getting the provisions of the National Parks and Access to the Countryside Act 1949 implemented. The crucial period would be the 1950s and 60s, so it is all a bit far back, and perhaps the Clarion weren't particularly involved, but if they were I'd appreciate hearing about it. The 1949 Act made very heavy demands on local volunteers, particularly in drawing up the draft maps which eventually became the definitive rights of way maps we have now (to the extent that they are definitive even now). Is there anyone out there who knows about Clarion ramblers walking the paths on the maps first drawn up by local authorities, checking whether all the paths they believed to be public were on the draft map, attending hearings in contentious cases and so on? Similarly, were Clarion ramblers active in pushing for access areas, or lobbying on behalf of, say, greater powers for national parks. I would be glad to hear from anyone on this topic, whether Clarion or not.

Hi there - I just wanted to write and tell you that my father, Albert Jackson, bought the 11.7 acres (not sure from whom) about 30 years ago and we have had it ever since, and have had horses since that time. When we bought the land it had obviously been unattended for years and was overgrown. I belive it was also used as a cricket club and as far as I have been told famous cricketers played there. My sister and I have had unquantifiable fun over the years there and my father's ashes are scattered in one of the fields! I have some paperwork for the rambling club that someone in Dore passed on to me. I will be watching this space with interest!

Hello. I lived at the Clarion for about 2 years in the mid 50's. My parents were the caretakers and I guess they got the accomodation included in the "wages". I can remember a few things about the place, for example no mains services of any kind, "helping" cut the long grass round the cricket pitch (I was only 7 at the time) and how cold it was in winter.....real winters then of course.

Hello Peter, I do not think my parents went rambling during the war but my father born 1909 must have gone rambling with them from being 16 with his family, they were the Tingles. Was your father ever Lord Mayor? When the book about the Clarion Ramblers and G H B Ward was published a photo was put in the Star I could see my father, GHB was pointing with his stick and on the same row was a young man in shorts hugging his knees, that was my father, his future brother in law was next but one toward GHB. I cannot see my two aunts but they would be there somewhere, Nellie often was the leader in some of the walks in the books that I have. I have a few photos of the family on rambles and have taken them to my only living aunt who has put some names to them.

Hi Meltman, thanks for your comment, how exciting!! I can only think then that you had as much fun as we have done up there being intrepid explorers - we even found some old cricket balls and treasures and whether my dad was having me on I don't know, but he did mention that Geoff Boycott had played there at some stage! Another person lived there but not in the relatively comfortable way that you did (in spite of no mains services, which there still aren't apart from water) called Peter, a proper tramp who lived there for many years and was a 'caretaker of sorts' - he lived in a shelter that he made next to the stream in the woods.

By the way, does anyone know if True North Productions actually made the film of the Clarion Ramblers as mentioned in May last year? I would love to see it, or if not offer my help in any way, ie access to the land for people to reminisce?!

Hi lisejacko, I've remembered how we got our water supply as we had no mains water laid on then. We had a kind of barrow contraption with 2 wheels and on it fitted 2 steel galvanised bins with lids, a bit smaller than the old dust bins. My dad used to fetch water as required from a roadside spring a bit further up Hathersage road on the right hand side as you go towards Fox House. The spring fed into a stone trough, I think the spring may still be there but the stone trough wont be, it will have been "removed" by now. I remember two main problems with getting water besides the slog uphill pushing the cart. In winter the ice had to be broken and removed before any water could be scooped up into the bins. In summer the trough had to be emptied and cleaned of water contaminated by oil, lorries used to overheat on the way out into Derbyshire and they would stop to top up their radiators, often with an old oil can! Oh, the good old days eh?

Hi Meltman, it all seemed a bit like hard work - especially when there was a stream running right through the middle of the land! I don't know about the trough, although there is a stone structure on the right hand side just before the peak park sign, that could be it. It's great to hear your stories and imagine what it used to be like. When we bought the land there was the remnants of an old structure in the top field - on hard standing, so something must have been there originally? By the time we got there it was the remains of a caravan I think! Thanks for the message.

Hi lisajacko. Thanks for your comments. I remember the stream being partially dammed up to form a so called swimming pool, a lot of the children used to play there whilst the parents did the cricket thing. Also, when we first moved in we were told not to drink water from the stream. It went under the road and up onto the moors towards Houndkirk road and there were occasionally dead sheep found in the stream, hence using the spring. I dont know about the remains of the hard standing but there may have been an outbuilding at some time. The road just above the junction with Sheephill road used to have a sharp bend with a bridge over the stream, this was all reshaped some years after we left. When we lived there there was a police box, like the Dotor Who one, on the corner. I had an accident one summer, it was very hot and there had been a delivery of supplies to sell at the weekend, "pop", crisps etc and it had been in the sun all day. After school I was helping my dad move it to the store room ( the old room with the stage) using a sack barrow to move the crates when some of the bottles of ice-cream soda exploded and gashed my ankles. My dad "ran" to the farm down Hathersage road to get an ambulance. When it came with the police we were told in future we could use the phone in the police box. I finished up in the Childrens hospital getting stitched, I still have the scars. That's all for now....more stories as I remember them.

I have 5 Clarion Ramblers books which were passed down to me years ago by Major Tom Harris of Ashford in the Water, they are the 1930/31, 1931/2, 1934, 1937/38 & 1947/48. The 34 one has the name "Sam Bingham, Derwent" in it.

I have 5 Clarion Ramblers books which were passed down to me years ago by Major Tom Harris of Ashford in the Water, they are the 1930/31, 1931/2, 1934, 1937/38 & 1947/48. The 34 one has the name "Sam Bingham, Derwent" in it.

Hi, mikep, that's really interesting.. Would you mind having a look to see if you could find my grandfather's name in them?? He wrote some articles in the Onward Rambling Club's handbook from about 1930, I would love to be able to find any more he wrote.. The family all say he was involved with the Clarion Ramblers and I believe he was on the Kinder Trespass. His name was G W Womersley.

Thanks very much!!! :) :)

Hi, mikep, that's really interesting.. Would you mind having a look to see if you could find my grandfather's name in them?? He wrote some articles in the Onward Rambling Club's handbook from about 1930, I would love to be able to find any more he wrote.. The family all say he was involved with the Clarion Ramblers and I believe he was on the Kinder Trespass. His name was G W Womersley.

Thanks very much!!! :) :)

Hi carolW, The name Womersley crops up earlier in the thread. There may be something there about any articles he may have written. I have looked through my copies but can,t find anything I'm afraid.