Anybody else getting daft car quotes

A friend of mine worked and drove outside Europe for two years, & now back in the UK. Because of this, her 10 years NCB no longer applied. They put her insurance up from £400 to £1600.

Insurance companies, legalised racketeering. :rant:

Mine went up this year. For no reason. 10 years no claims.

Did you shop round and find a better quote?

anybody else getting daft car quotes

looking at getting a bmw 325td m reg 1993 but getting quotes at £541 to £2000k im 44 yrs old even tried classic insurance for it and stated only 3000 mile usage

also quotes are asking for ncb which never applied before and some are stating car needs to be 25yrs and over and garaged ????

tried loads of classic companys,sureterm,lancasters,peter best,peter james,footman james,adrian flux etc

only cost me £140 for my mk1 golf 1.8 karmann clipper last year with ncb affecting it on classic car insurance

any body got any inside info :confused::help:

Are the quotes you've received gross premiums before the application of any No Claims Discount?

I’d been with the same insurer for several years, and it was always competitive (I got a few quotes each year). This year I found a couple of cheaper ones using a well known comparison site. This saved me over £50 and provided better cover (free car hire if mine off the road, and much reduced excess). Plus my daughter will finish up with a soft toy. The basic fully comp policy was around £150 and with the no claims discount protection and legal cover it still came in at under £200. This is for a smallish city car (but by no means the lowest insurance class), and a long no claims history. I’ve certainly no complaints.

The costs for younger drivers and those without no-claims histories seems to be hellishly high. Even so, I doubt that insurance companies are fleecing these people. Insurance companies are just glorified bookies. They are taking a bet on whether the customer is going to crash in the coming year. The bigger the risk, the higher the premium. If there really was an inordinate profit to be made from these high premium drivers, then it would be worth some companies’ while to drop the premiums a bit and make a still good profit on a bigger number of clients.

---------- Post added 14-03-2013 at 11:28 ----------

When I was using the price comparison site, I tried several different job descriptions to see if it would have any effect on the premiums. (This wasn’t a con, all the ones I tried were true and valid descriptions of my job). As it happened, it made no difference at all in my case. However, it is often mentioned as worth doing this.

Has anyone done this successfully? How much of a difference can it make?

even 10% of £140 is £14 but getting quotes at £541 to £2000+

---------- Post added 14-03-2013 at 15:17 ----------

Are the quotes you've received gross premiums before the application of any No Claims Discount?

ncd are not applied on my classic car so have no ncd

so its be n/a for the past 2yrs

but i do have 5yrs ncd on my daughters car so can not use them twice

Edited by barts96

Mine went up so I rang them, they said they could knock £8 off. I had one claim in the last 10 years ago not my fault, in the end got it from Sainsburys Bank £150 cheaper.

I've been with Saga for the last 10 years, last years premium was £345, i've not had a bump for over 20years, never had a conviction for anything, this years renewal quote was £986.40.

When i rung them they said this type of increase was normal with all insurances this year and offered me "free" legal ins valued at £27.

First time ever this year and i used the comparison websites and got it for £254+£47 for breakdown from the AA.

Don't be fooled in to thinking that all online insurance companies or price comparison sites are going to be cheaper, quite often they are not !

Try the old fashioned way....a local insurance office.

My insurance actually came down this year from £365 to £295. easily beating any online quote of about £380

Costs me around a grand to insure 1.9tdi Ford Galaxy. The thing handles likes a drunken hippo and with my kids in the car I'm not likely to be flying around anyway. I have maximum no claims, clean licence and am over 30. But I do live in S2...

I always shop around for insurance when it's due, hope to get it down a bit next time!

My insurance went up by £200 when I moved to a different postcode 2 miles away. I agree it is legalised racketeering. I pay £60 a month for a 1.2 Corsa, although my wife has managed to lose the odd car and I was honest enough to declare it.