Batemoor and Jordanthorpe.

Hello

Does anyone know the history of Batemoor and Jordanthorpe before the modern estates were built? Victorian times perhaps? Local Characters?

Which is best?

There's only one way to find out...

FIGHT:gag:

---------- Post added 13-03-2013 at 16:40 ----------

Was there anything there at all before the modern estates were built?

I doubt it somehow. I think it was just all fields around there.

I'm fairly sure that the estates were built on farmland. There was a sharp double-bend in the road from Norton/Meadowhead to Coal Aston roughly where the roundabout is now. There was a farmhouse on one corner of the bend. Batemoor was built in 1965/66 & Jordanthorpe may have been bulit slightly later.

I'm fairly sure that the estates were built on farmland. There was a sharp double-bend in the road from Norton/Meadowhead to Coal Aston roughly where the roundabout is now. There was a farmhouse on one corner of the bend. Batemoor was built in 1965/66 & Jordanthorpe may have been bulit slightly later.

i remember in the late 50s working on chesterfield rd south when it was called 4 lane ends at the norton pub it was just a x road with brocklehursr's sales room where the filling station is,the transport ground on the other corner the place i was working was on the other side a bout 100 yards toward dronfield, there was an 8/10 ft fence an d a building inside what struck me was a sign saying it was navy property. work was still going on on greenhill at the time

Just to clarify about the roundabout: it's the smallish one near the New Leaf garden centre.

I've just remembered there used be a big brick building belonging to a firm called Shukers. I remember exploring it in about 1960; it must have been abandoned for some time by then. It was situated quite near to where the original Jordanthorpe Boys School stood.

Edited by fatrajah
additional info

Hello fatrajah and willybite

Thank you to both of you. This is valuable information.

Growing up on Lowedges in th 50's and 60's I can remember Batemoor and Jordanthorpe estates being built. 4 lane ends was where the large roundabout is now on Chesterfield Road South. Brocklehursts garage (used on a TV ad) on one corner and the Norton pub on another with the Transport Ground on a third corner. Nothing changed really. Chesterfield Road South wasn't dual carriageway. The line of trees that spilits the dual carriageway was called the End Wood. We used to go there to get wood for bonfire night. It wasn't really a wood but certainly more trees than there is now.

I cannot remember which side of the End Wood the 'old' Chesterfield Road South ran - Lowedges side or the Double tree Hilton side.

Beyond and below the Jordanthorpe schools were open fields before the 2 estates were built. Can't remember exact dates but Batemoor was built first.

The Ordnance Survey map of 1850 shows a flag stone quarry on the left side of the Meadowhead to Dronfield road, going towards Dronfield. It was situated about half way between the Nags Head & the 4 lane ends crossroads. Also shown are what sound like a pub & a house/farm: The Batemoor & Lowedges respectively. These were situated on the same side as the quarry, but slightly nearer the Nags Head.

The map also gives the name of the farm I referred to in an earlier post; it was called Dyke Lane Farm.

Apart from these places there was very little else shown on the map for this area.

Hello fatrajah and abbeyedges

Thank you both of you.You have confirmed our information about the Stone Quarry.My wife tells me that the original road is the one which runs in front of

the Red Brick Cottages.

I've only just come to this forum and don't know if this is still of any interest, but I was looking for something about Batemoor and it came up.

I'm a Dronfield lad, and passed Batemoor on both sides regularly as a kid.  It was, as stated, all farmland.  Where the New Leaf island is was indeed a double ninety degree bend by a small farm with a weeping willow tree.

Accessed from the old A61 , opposite Low Edges, was ( I think ) Batemoor Farm.  I guess this was adjacent to the quarry.  I didn't know there  was a quarry, but I'm pretty sure I remember 4-wheel tipper trucks running in and out.  I think they had red cabs and had on the doors ' Lott Yates,  Batemoor Farm' .  If you were a farmer and had a quarry on your land, wouldn't you run tippers?  This was the mid sixties, so think 'Hell Drivers' to get a picture.

There was a standing crop of cereals that was bulldozed when the Vic Hallam houses started to go up around 1965 or 66.

Going north, to Four Lane Ends, there was some rough ground on the right at the junction.  I think it's a car dealership now.  My dad ( born 1911 in Woodseats ) remembered it being some sort of army or air force depot with underground petrol tanks. Perhaps to do with the ballon barrage, or was that Norton aerodrome?  When he was a kid, although the tanks had long been empty, they used to drop matches down the vents or filler pipes and hear the residual gas ignite.  Happy, dangerous days!

This is very interesting. I am a recent resident of jordanthorpe.   I understand the local TARA group has merged with Batemoor, and is now renamed Chantry TARA,  after Francis Chantry who I understand, owned the land at one time?