Quick question : why is my pc showing 8 cores not 4 ?

Built a pc

Intel i7 3770 running @ 3.9ghtz.

8gb ballistic ram

Gigabyte sli motherboard with onboard SSD

240gb SSD

1tb HDD

Xfx cheapo ati card 1gb ram ( only throw an image on screen as machine used to run a UV printer to run the onyx rip software )

Windows 7 ultimate sp1

Now I know the machine has 4 cores but windows is displaying 8 in both task manager and system manager ??

The CPU has 8 threads so is windows a little cocked up , confused between cores and threads ?

yeah it shows threads as logical cores processors.. always has done.

Edit: Saying that... Windows 8 does a better job of it.

Eg:

CPU

Intel® Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz

Maximum speed: 5.90 GHz

Sockets: 1

Cores: 4

Logical processors: 8

Virtualisation: Enabled

L1 cache: 256 KB

L2 cache: 1.0 MB

L3 cache: 8.0 MB

Utilisation 2%

Speed 7.20 GHz

Up time 1:21:55:42

Processes 118

Threads 1590

Handles 63484

Although it still gets confused when you start messing about overclocking it ^^ ;)

Edited by Swampster

yeah it shows threads as logical cores processors.. always has done.

Edit: Saying that... Windows 8 does a better job of it.

Eg:

CPU

Intel® Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz

Maximum speed: 5.90 GHz

Sockets: 1

Cores: 4

Logical processors: 8

Virtualisation: Enabled

L1 cache: 256 KB

L2 cache: 1.0 MB

L3 cache: 8.0 MB

Utilisation 2%

Speed 7.20 GHz

Up time 1:21:55:42

Processes 118

Threads 1590

Handles 63484

Although it still gets confused when you start messing about overclocking it ^^ ;)

I don't want to use win8 as onyx was very detailed about spec the machine needed to be and windows 7 was stated. All the rest of the bits inside too needed to be on the required to run list.

In very simple terms, there's some clever jiggery-pokery going on which means that each core is being made to work harder. For many reasons, a single core seldom uses it's total capacity and spends a fair amount of time "on tickover" doing nothing. This "tickover" time is used to do other things inbetween. But to acheive that, Windows is conned into believing that each core is actually two seperaste cores.

Started with the Pentium 4 processors which were identified ad "hyper threading".

Don't worry, it's all good.

My 4 year old Samsung netbook with a weedy 1.6 Atom CPU is hyper threading enabled and for practical purposes using Lightroom 4 & Photoshop CS6 is as fast as my brand new laptop which doesn't have hyperthreading on it's dual cored B830.

Basically, you got a speed machine there - that rig should make mincemeat of just about anything you could throw at it!

Basically, you got a speed machine there - that rig should make mincemeat of just about anything you could throw at it!

Yeah spec to run the application is costly.

i7 CPU

6 GB ram at 1600htz

10k rpm HDD

GeForce gtx or ati HD 4000 and above

Throw in case , dvdrw wifi card ..... 27" led screen paid just under £800 but then there is vat that we get back.

Mind what I built was nothing at HP were going to charge. The UV printer was £65k plus VAT then they wanted a further £1500 plus VAT for the pc nowhere near as good.

Joys of printing !

I bet it'll run perfectly happy on lower-spec hardware.