Universal Credit

Well it is time they learnt. If they can't manage their own money, how are they keeping alive.

Sorry but you are missing the point the money is paid direct for them as in most cases the person will have an appointee, who does everything for them and sort of has power over their funds.

You have to understand we are talking about the most vulnerable in the community who need & rely on this help, perhaps a bit more consideration ought to be given to these people.

Even people on the dole so to speak, will see the money coming to them as extra money to spend, and will fall into arrears, UC is the most badly thought out & conceived idea in many a long time.

The choice between starvation and entering a workhouse isn't voluntary. :)

They aren’t the only choices, people could choose to work, live with family or friends.

people could choose to work

No, people choose to apply for work. Getting the work is down to someone else's choice. People can choose to start a business, but earning a profit is a lot harder.

It's a real sign of the times that we're discussing the merits of the workhouse. :rolleyes:

No, people choose to apply for work. Getting the work is down to someone else's choice. People can choose to start a business, but earning a profit is a lot harder.

It's a real sign of the times that we're discussing the merits of the workhouse. :rolleyes:

That would be a start, you still haven't explained why providing food, accommodation, training, medical care and work is a bad thing, we can even through in entertainment if it would make it better. It’s no different than the argument I had whilst serving Her Majesty.

you still haven't explained why providing food, accommodation, training, medical care and work is a bad thing

It isn't. :)

Bringing back the workhouse is the bad thing.

No.

Doesn't look like a bad idea though.

Why would providing food, accommodation, employment, medical care and education be a bad thing?

Re: The workhouse.

Believe it or not I'm old enough to know someone who was once in the workhouse, and it was a travesty masquerading as a Christian institution. It wasn't Christian, it wasn't even humane. And once you went into it, it was almost impossible to get out of. So inmates gave up that last essential human emotion - hope. They just waited to die and frequently helped the process along.

If we return to workhouses, (and I'm sure this government will consider it sooner or later,) I don't think we can consider ourselves a decent society.

Under the last government. Governments change.

A system which lets the claimant make the call as to whether they can be responsible or not with all the money they are given seems preferable to one which is arbitrary in telling the feckless they are responsible when it comes to cash benefits and the sensible they are feckless when it comes to rent.

I'm just into systems that work- rent paid direct to landlords worked well- landlords were happy, tenants were happy- it worked. Now they've changed it and it doesn't work.

My uncle is in a private rented house and I have lost count how many houses he has had to leave because he hasn't paid rent at all or on time. He just sees money and that's it. All common sense seems to leave him. I think if people have problems or think they may have problems they should be able to request the money gets sent directly to the landlord. Saves evicition then. In some cases.

It isn't. :)

Bringing back the workhouse is the bad thing.

A workhouse was the provision of accommodation, food, education and medical care, in return for work.

So if we through in entertainment then it wouldn’t be a workhouse it would be something different and better.

I'm just into systems that work- rent paid direct to landlords worked well- landlords were happy, tenants were happy- it worked. Now they've changed it and it doesn't work.

It has clearly revealed an issue. Some benefit claimants are incapable of spending the money they are given on what it's intended for. So it would be foolish not to recognise that and reinstate direct payments to their landlords. However it would also be foolish to continue to give these people any cash benefits as they won't be any more able to manage them.

These people clearly cannot run their own lives, giving them cash is not helping them.

Maybe Ant and Dec can whip the lame. Really get our money's worth out of them.

Re: The workhouse.

If we return to workhouses, (and I'm sure this government will consider it sooner or later,) I don't think we can consider ourselves a decent society.

If a person receives benefits for more than 2 years it becomes a trap that they cannot get out of. They will not be happy receiving benefits, year after year.

It needs sorting out. They often become less active and over-weight and die younger.