Universal Credit

Okay, but you didn't assert that the most densely populated were the richest. You said that the most densely populated had the highest wealth inequality.

Income Inequality and Poverty in Singapore

Whoever said that a rising tide lifts all boats obviously wasn't referring to Singapore. As the country became richer, the wealth did not spread equitably to all its people. The poor in society were firmly anchored to the bottom while the richest floated with fabulous wealth.

Singapore Has The Highest Income Inequality Compared to the OECD Countries

Okay, we've got one example. But that's hardly a study that links high population density to high wealth inequality.

Then there’s the wealth gap which will be significantly higher in London than the rest of the UK. Population density and wealth hasn’t reduced poverty.

Income and wealth inequality.

London, and Inner London in particular, is more unequal than any other region of England. In Inner London, 17% of people live in the poorest tenth of households in the country and 18% live in the richest tenth.

The richest tenth of London households by income account for 40% of all income. This is more than twice as much as the entire bottom half of households.

But differences by wealth are more striking still. The richest 10% in terms of financial wealth account for two-thirds of all such wealth in London. The bottom half effectively account for none of the financial wealth in the capital.

Urban neighbourhoods with high deprivation, population density and inequality found to have higher rates of schizophrenia

New research suggests that higher rates of schizophrenia in urban areas can be attributed to increased deprivation, increased population density and an increase in inequality within a neighbourhood. The study published in the journal Schizophrenia Bulletin, was led by the University of Cambridge in collaboration with Queen Mary University of London, and supported by the Wellcome Trust and NIHR.

So basically you've got nothing.

Not a single study that actually links high population density to high wealth inequality. You've found a few examples where coincidentally that is the case, but that isn't a statistical link.

I addressed it but you didn't like the idea of employing them, giving them a roof over their heads and providing them with three good quality meals a day, as well as entertainment and training.

I think the idea of having a 'one stop shop' which links housing with education, training and support in general was associated with the early part of the last government and the 'Foyer' federation.

I think such a scheme would be fine for young people in the short term - to use a springboard to further independence. But by the time people are in their mid 20s they want to be established - rather than be reliant on otehrs

Okay, but you didn't assert that the most densely populated were the richest. You said that the most densely populated had the highest wealth inequality.

Okay, we've got one example. But that's hardly a study that links high population density to high wealth inequality.

So basically you've got nothing.

Not a single study that actually links high population density to high wealth inequality. You've found a few examples where coincidentally that is the case, but that isn't a statistical link.

Which wealthy country with a high population density doesn’t have high wealth inequality?

It’s easy to have wealth equality when there is plenty to go around the small population, but as the population increases the wealth will cease to be distributed equally. I can’t think of one example where that doesn’t happen. Wealthy densely populated countries have high inequality, which leads to mental health problems.

Population density is the problem because it causes inequality.

Austerity? This country has plenty of money, it's just all been concentrated into a few greedy pockets.

Which wealthy country with a high population density doesn’t have high wealth inequality?

I don't know, and I'm not going to research it.

It's your assertion, is there any evidence to back it up?

It’s easy to have wealth equality when there is plenty to go around the small population, but as the population increases the wealth will cease to be distributed equally. I can’t think of one example where that doesn’t happen. Wealthy densely populated countries have high inequality, which leads to mental health problems.

High inequality is not the same as inequality.

I see no logic behind your assertion, you've simply decided that the cause of inequality is population density and have no evidence to support the assertion beyond a few anecdotes.

I don't know, and I'm not going to research it.

It's your assertion, is there any evidence to back it up?

High inequality is not the same as inequality.

I see no logic behind your assertion, you've simply decided that the cause of inequality is population density and have no evidence to support the assertion beyond a few anecdotes.

So basically you are claiming I am incorrect even though you haven't researched it, I have researched it and I know that I am correct and yes there is plenty of evidence to to support my assertion.

No, I didn't say you were incorrect, I asked if you had any evidence to support your assertion.

You haven't researched it though and you have no evidence, otherwise I'm sure you'd share it instead of a couple of anecdotes about Shanghai and London.

What you are asking us to do is to replace a well proven assertion (that wealth inequality leads to unhappiness in a society) with your unproven one that high population density leads to unhappiness.

No, I didn't say you were incorrect, I asked if you had any evidence to support your assertion.

Ah yes, sorry my bad, yes there is plenty of evidence to support my assertion.

Urban neighbourhoods with high deprivation, population density and inequality found to have higher rates of schizophrenia

New research suggests that higher rates of schizophrenia in urban areas can be attributed to increased deprivation, increased population density and an increase in inequality within a neighbourhood. The study published in the journal Schizophrenia Bulletin, was led by the University of Cambridge in collaboration with Queen Mary University of London, and supported by the Wellcome Trust and NIHR.

Schizophrenia doesn't exist, it's a made-up illness. If it were a real illness then doctors would be able to diagnose it consistently but they can't. The days of the schizophrenia diagnosis are numbered, the people who cling to it most are drug companies.

It is true that for lots of people with mental health needs, built up areas are a negative factor, but for many they are not. Also important are levels of crime, anti-social behaviour, noise, access to green space and proximity to support. And probably not being chucked out of your home of the last 10 years because you have a spare bedroom that your mum 'only' stays in every other weekend when you're feeling suicidal.

Edited by TeaFan

Schizophrenia doesn't exist, it's a made-up illness. If it were a real illness then doctors would be able to diagnose it consistently but they can't. The days of the schizophrenia diagnosis are numbered, the people who cling to it most are drug companies.

It is true that for lots of people with mental health needs, built up areas are a negative factor, but for many they are not. Also important are levels of crime, anti-social behaviour, noise, access to green space and proximity to support. And probably not being chucked out of your home of the last 10 years because you have a spare bedroom that your mum 'only' stays in every other weekend when you're feeling suicidal.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Schizophrenia/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Schizophrenia is a long-term mental health condition that causes a range of different psychological symptoms, including:

hallucinations - hearing or seeing things that do not exist

delusions - unusual beliefs not based on reality which often contradict the evidence

muddled thoughts based on the hallucinations or delusions

changes in behaviour

Doctors often describe schizophrenia as a psychotic illness. This means sometimes a person may not be able to distinguish their own thoughts and ideas from reality.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Schizophrenia/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Schizophrenia is a long-term mental health condition that causes a range of different psychological symptoms, including:

hallucinations - hearing or seeing things that do not exist

delusions - unusual beliefs not based on reality which often contradict the evidence

muddled thoughts based on the hallucinations or delusions

changes in behaviour

Doctors often describe schizophrenia as a psychotic illness. This means sometimes a person may not be able to distinguish their own thoughts and ideas from reality.

I know what it's claimed to be, I've worked with people with mental health problems for years. But schizophrenia is a made-up illness, along with Intermittent Explosive Disorder, Oppositional Defiance Disorder and most of the other garbage in the DSM IV

I'm not denying that people have psychotic experiences, just that there is no such 'illness' as schizophrenia. This is going some way off topic but http://www.criticalpsychiatry.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46:the-case-against-schizophrenia&catid=35:documents&Itemid=56

Edited by TeaFan

I think Economics and geography are quite distinct disciplines,but you are confusing the two.Inequality is unrelated to population density.