Universal Credit

On 08/02/2020 at 23:01, Car Boot said:

A mobile is pretty much essential for job seekers. Employers will not contact anybody without a telephone number these days.

A mobile phone is essential to get a job. Landlines have gone the way of the VHS recorder.

I suggest you read my comment again more carefully. Smart phones are not the only type of mobile phone you can buy.

On 08/02/2020 at 23:01, Car Boot said:

A mobile is pretty much essential for job seekers. Employers will not contact anybody without a telephone number these days.

A mobile phone is essential to get a job. Landlines have gone the way of the VHS recorder.

Yet unless you have cable Internet, everyone in the UK with broadband at home has to have a landline telephone number.

You also don't need a £700 iPhone to have a mobile phone either. You can get one for 99 pence from Argos with a £10 Top Up.

On 07/02/2020 at 10:30, Halibut said:

Is a modern mobile phone really a 'cash treat' or is it a necessary tool for modern life and work?

Why I do I get the feeling you think the poor should be dressed in rags and living in the gutter?

Its odd how the ammunition of choice to use against the not so well off is the mobile phone, is that really the only straw they can clutch at.

The majority of benefits claims have now to be made online , confirmation of job seeking commitments, and on line job search/application are required by UC and many organisations won’t accept hand or postal delivered CVs. Not everyone receiving benefits can afford home broadband but need a phone/package that can allow them to fulfil benefit requirements and then there are those that are IT illiterate.............

8 hours ago, catmiss said:

The majority of benefits claims have now to be made online , confirmation of job seeking commitments, and on line job search/application are required by UC and many organisations won’t accept hand or postal delivered CVs. Not everyone receiving benefits can afford home broadband but need a phone/package that can allow them to fulfil benefit requirements and then there are those that are IT illiterate.............

Indeed, when I was recently unemployed I was forced to use twitter and LinkedIn for jobsearch too

On 15/02/2020 at 00:40, catmiss said:

Just as well job centres have computers in them for job seekers to use then isn't it.