Universal Credit

2 hours ago, melthebell said:

Universal credit roll out delayed now until 2024 adding £500m to its overall cost.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51318730

It's a shame that no article really seems to say what the problem ACTUALLY is?!

The idea of a simplified system is there, and it makes sense with modern technology and less paperwork.

(to add: I don't agree with the monthly payments, or the housing not being paid to the landlord if requested btw)

why is it so slow?

Labour tried it with a computer system with the NHS that was crap. Tory's now have same issue.

I thought Britain had  skilled people and programmers, and with the kind of money we are talking here and with the NHS, we could pay some someone on the planet to programme this, surely someone can solve this slow process which is constantly mentioned as the major issue.

Edited by *_ash_*

Google is your friend 

Britain has got skilled people and programmers

C&P

The Department for Work and Pensions explained that the delay was due to 900,000 more claimants than expected remaining on the legacy welfare schemes that Universal Credit is replacing. The delay is estimated to add more than £500 million to its overall cost.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51318730

Edited by kidley
added url

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

why is it so slow?

Cos they don’t want it to work.

11 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

It's a shame that no article really seems to say what the problem ACTUALLY is?!

The idea of a simplified system is there, and it makes sense with modern technology and less paperwork.

(to add: I don't agree with the monthly payments, or the housing not being paid to the landlord if requested btw)

why is it so slow?

Labour tried it with a computer system with the NHS that was crap. Tory's now have same issue.

I thought Britain had  skilled people and programmers, and with the kind of money we are talking here and with the NHS, we could pay some someone on the planet to programme this, surely someone can solve this slow process which is constantly mentioned as the major issue.

Government IT projects since the dawn of time are astonishingly expensive and always late. This is nothing new. Like most public sector IT projects by the time it's launched it's already 5 years out of date and 5 times over budget.

On the BBC News web page today, part of a documentary regarding Universal Credit.

"I think it's worth getting a job, but to be honest, I wouldn't know where to start".... but the 34 year old has been on Jobseeker's Allowance for an undisclosed amount of time, and signing on every fortnight. Does she not have to complete the job search record?

On the subject of not having a job, the reason given is "It's more fear that I'm gonna do wrong and they're going to get rid of me."

Doesn't it occur to her that every employee has the same feeling?!

"I've always been on Jobseeker's - it's the right thing to do now..."

The right thing to do! Try and get a job, you mean!

Nope.

She meant switch to Universal Credit....

God help us.

Also watched it. I'd like to say "unbelievable" but it isn't. Too many like her. As she said "need to have treets so bought new phone needed to get rid of old brick phone". No hope left for humanity.

5 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

Nope.

God help us.

Always good to divide the people, even the BBC are doing it now, they are running scared of what the Tories will do to their funding.

She hadnt been working because she had a child to care for.

Edited by El Cid

Guest makapaka
7 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

On the BBC News web page today, part of a documentary regarding Universal Credit.

"I think it's worth getting a job, but to be honest, I wouldn't know where to start".... but the 34 year old has been on Jobseeker's Allowance for an undisclosed amount of time, and signing on every fortnight. Does she not have to complete the job search record?

On the subject of not having a job, the reason given is "It's more fear that I'm gonna do wrong and they're going to get rid of me."

Nope.

God help us.

Stunning example of someone’s complete inability to understand someone else’s situation and the lack of help to resolve it.

8 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

Nope.

God help us.

That’s one person.

One situation.

Maybe you should think about the bigger picture.

Whilst you are expanding your mind, try taking in the scale of tax evasion that we all suffer from. It far outweighs this stuff.

This woman wound me up.  I thought benefits were some kind of safety net.  Not free cash to buy treats like modern mobile phones because her old on was "like a brick" and getting her hair done.

"i do think its right that we treat ourselves" she says.

Yeah, not with taxpayers money though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-51389481/universal-credit-i-went-wild-and-it-hit-me-like-a-ton-of-bricks

Edited by alchresearch

29 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

This woman wound me up.  I thought benefits were some kind of safety net.  Not free cash to buy treats like modern mobile phones because her old on was "like a brick" and getting her hair done.

"i do think its right that we treat ourselves" she says.

Yeah, not with taxpayers money though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-51389481/universal-credit-i-went-wild-and-it-hit-me-like-a-ton-of-bricks

Is a modern mobile phone really a 'cash treat' or is it a necessary tool for modern life and work?

Why I do I get the feeling you think the poor should be dressed in rags and living in the gutter?