Universal Credit

Universal benefits in the news today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49013769

Parliamentary enquiry links UC to people being forced into sex work.

The Work and Pensions Committee - chaired by independent MP Frank Field - launched an inquiry in March after listening to the concerns of charities.

The English Collection of Prostitutes - which campaigns for the safety and decriminalisation of sex workers and has often linked universal credit to sex work - has given evidence to the group.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Universal benefits in the news today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49013769

Parliamentary enquiry links UC to people being forced into sex work.

Anything that makes people poorer, takes away their income will drive people to sex work, crime, robbery etc. It's obvious, it doesn't need to be in the news to know it

Some people won't believe it until they can't deny it.

Is the charity reporting these women if they claim whilst working?  It will get them sanctioned.

Universal Credit has been appalling for many many people.

What charity?  This is a parliamentary study that is finding extensive evidence of people (women) turning to sex work because UC has failed them and left them without any money.

Wasn't the info provided by the English Collection of Prostitutes?  I assume they are a charity.

Perhaps not.

What a horrible situation to be in.

I seem to remember lots of charities saying that student fees would force students into sex work when they were introduced by the Labour Party.

I've no idea if that ever came to fruition apart from some sensationalist headlines in the red tops.

54 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

Universal Credit is "the biggest and most positive development in the welfare system for years", according to the LibDems.

I assume that was from a conference before roll out??

Universal Credit looks very good on paper, but the roll out and application of it has been terrible?

19 hours ago, the_bloke said:

I've no idea if that ever came to fruition apart from some sensationalist headlines in the red tops.

I'm not sure that 'coming to fruition' is the right turn of phrase to describe students selling their bodies to  make ends meet, but there certainly are students doing exactly that. https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/students-sell-sex-money-university-fees-costs-photos-online-a8451241.html

6 hours ago, Halibut said:

I'm not sure that 'coming to fruition' is the right turn of phrase to describe students selling their bodies to  make ends meet, but there certainly are students doing exactly that. https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/students-sell-sex-money-university-fees-costs-photos-online-a8451241.html

yes they do it out of choice and probably love it most of the time, there are some women that do like it you know? also they probably enjoy exploiting saddos on sex lines as well.

On 23/07/2019 at 08:13, Cyclone said:

What charity?  This is a parliamentary study that is finding extensive evidence of people (women) turning to sex work because UC has failed them and left them without any money.

and why not?? using what you have is entrepreneurial and good on them not relying on benefits.

2 hours ago, Borista336 said:

yes they do it out of choice and probably love it most of the time, there are some women that do like it you know? also they probably enjoy exploiting saddos on sex lines as well

What a hideously predictable response.

5 hours ago, Borista336 said:

yes they do it out of choice and probably love it most of the time, there are some women that do like it you know? also they probably enjoy exploiting saddos on sex lines as well.

and why not?? using what you have is entrepreneurial and good on them not relying on benefits.

Would you call mugging someone entrepreneurial?