Universal Credit

I was told a while back that they were putting me on UC, I'm been on ESA almost 3 years to the day since they declared mme unfit to work (even though I've been doing voluntary work for Donkey's years)

I get laid off next Friday. Will I have to wait six weeks for any money to come through from the job centre. I think I will be able to find a job by then even of its something rubbish for the time been. Just questioning if it would be a waste of time if I got a job before the six week because I doubt they would back pay for say 2 or 3 weeks? Not sure how the whole thing works. Any advice would be great or ideas of any job vacancies. Nights or mornings due to having to get my daughter from nursery Thurs and Fridays at  5. Thanks. 

Edited by Stevenc90

They'll pay for as many weeks as you claim, paying from the date you put the claim in (and are allowed to claim from)

Even if you get a job in 3 weeks time and stop the claim you'll get some money through eventually.

Better than a poke in the eye no?

But worse than the old system, where your claim was processed quicker.

On 12/18/2018 at 5:55 PM, ricgem2002 said:

Trouble is this petition is addressed to Esther Mcvey who is no longer Secretary for Works and Pensions.   It should be addressed to Amber Rudd who took over in November 2018.

ANYONE WHO FEELS THEY COULD LOSE THEIR HOME BECAUSE OF  DWP SANCTIONS THAT REMOVE their JSA and ESA PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THERE IS HELP.

I've been told that if your money is stopped, you can go to the Council and ask for a Nil Income form.

That will reinstate rent and council tax and give access to further help like meter credits, foodbank vouchers, and emergency cash payments. Also the Citizens Advice Bureau can help on your behalf.

This info is not readily available sadly and it should be. The authorities will only deal with it if you ask for it specifically by name.

So if your benefits are having issues remember help should still be available..

I know that I am coming to this a bit late, and I have not read everything on this thread. the thing  that I do not understand is this --why are payments stopped for whatever time is taken to make a decision on this? whatt is wrong with leaving allowances to be paid while the matter is sorted out, including any appeal period. this would stop people getting into trouble financially until a decision is reached.

1 hour ago, buddysbuddy said:

I know that I am coming to this a bit late, and I have not read everything on this thread. the thing  that I do not understand is this --why are payments stopped for whatever time is taken to make a decision on this? whatt is wrong with leaving allowances to be paid while the matter is sorted out, including any appeal period. this would stop people getting into trouble financially until a decision is reached.

It's obviously a chance to save money at the expense of the claimants, and as Theresa May said,  to encourage a 'hostile environment' for benefit recipients. Like they don't have enough problems to contend with....

The move to Universal Credit also usually means the benefit ammount goes down, and is less than before, (in spite of what the Tories might say.) I speak as someone whose colleague deals with benefit payments for the disabled.

It's scandalous.

Edited by Anna B

Such is the level of dependency a large rump of the population has had on benefits over the last 20 or so years, trying to change this situation and wean people off is going to be untidy in the early stages, but what the government is trying to do for the long term, which is repair our society, is sound.

17 minutes ago, Hots on said:

Such is the level of dependency a large rump of the population has had on benefits over the last 20 or so years, trying to change this situation and wean people off is going to be untidy in the early stages, but what the government is trying to do for the long term, which is repair our society, is sound.

You make it sound like the benefit claimants in need of being 'weaned' off benefits, are addicted to benefits. That successive governments didn't have a policy of moving people living economic black spots from unemployment benefit onto sickness benefit. Also many on benefit are also working, but have to claim benefit because the wages they receive are so paltry. Nor does it acknowledge the very real damage done as a consequence of UC, many of whom have taken their own lives. 

In other words it's the claimants who are at fault, not the system. In the vast majority this is not the case.

Edited by Mister M