Universal Credit

Is this going to be this government's Poll tax moment with riots in the street?

Doubtful, they've got Brexit lined up for that one already.

It'll be held against them for years tho, chances are that after May is given the boot we won't see another Tory government for a decade or so.

Doubtful, they've got Brexit lined up for that one already.

It'll be held against them for years tho, chances are that after May is given the boot we won't see another Tory government for a decade or so.

Mmm maybe..

But I think the changes to Universal Credit will effect more people more directly. It's going to be a disaster. .

---------- Post added 11-10-2018 at 15:20 ----------

The Government is now planning to transfer all people across onto Universal credit. (Before it was just new claiments and people in certain areas who went onto it.) It is has built in problems which have never been ironed out.

Nearly everyone will lose money, (Tory Minister for works and pensions, Esther MacVey, has admitted this,) including the disabled. It has been knowingly underfunded to save money. This is what people on UC have been saying for years, but the government has continually denied it.

Also, there is the minimum of the 5 week delay (used to be 6) where people are left with no money at all, (they stop the old benefit before the new one kicks in a minimum of 5 weeks later but often more) which has lead to people being made homeless when they can't pay their rent, and starving /using food banks. Use of foodbanks quadruples in areas with Universal Credit in place.

A lot of landlords refuse to take people on UC because they know of the many problems with it, and fear people will not be able to pay the rent. It will involve the working poor as well.

Several people I know who deal with benefits and will have to administer the new system, have been on government run training courses, and when they point out the glaring ambiguities and obvious problems with it, have had their concerns dismissed /ignored/ or are met with 'well we don't really know...'

It promises to be a nightmare.

Even the people trying to administer it know it's not going to work.

It's going to be a disaster. .

It already is

It already is

Then why are the Tories insisting on rolling it out across the country?

Like things aren't bad enough already...

Since when do they care about anyone who doesn't earn 6 figures??

Since when do they care about anyone who doesn't earn 6 figures??

Exactly.

What I can't understand is why anybody who isn't earning 6 figures would vote for them...?

They really do need to understand who is on their side and who isn't.

Exactly.

What I can't understand is why anybody who isn't earning 6 figures would vote for them...?

They really do need to understand who is on their side and who isn't.

Because the alternative dosnt bear thinking about ,thats why .

Because the alternative dosnt bear thinking about ,thats why .

Really? And what we have now is OK is it? The Tories are doing immense damage to this country and its people. Universal Credit is just another example.

Anyone with any sense would be able to see it, and want anything but them. It's time to give Labour a chance.

No. Most people aren't on benefits and don't care enough about those that are to riot in the street about it. Sounds harsh, but it's true.

Really? And what we have now is OK is it? The Tories are doing immense damage to this country and its people. Universal Credit is just another example.

Anyone with any sense would be able to see it, and want anything but them. It's time to give Labour a chance.

No they are not. It's not affecting me. So why should I support policies that can adversely affect me?

Is my family less important than anybody else's?

No. Most people aren't on benefits and don't care enough about those that are to riot in the street about it. Sounds harsh, but it's true.

You're probably right, but this will affect more than just the unemployed. It will affect the working poor, those on tax credits and even those getting family allowance (or its modern equivalent) I believe, so that's a lot of people.

When you add that to the number of people being affected by lack of public services and cuts across the board, I think they will have surely had enough.

You're probably right, but this will affect more than just the unemployed. It will affect the working poor, those on tax credits and even those getting family allowance (or its modern equivalent) I believe, so that's a lot of people.

When you add that to the number of people being affected by lack of public services and cuts across the board, I think they will have surely had enough.

Wait until your brexit kicks in Anna....