Universal Credit

So they know how to pay their gas bill and electricity bill and food but they don't know how to pay rent?

Its a little odd that isn't it.

Article said 'One tenant failing to cope is Margaret Tonks, a single mother from Broseley, Shropshire.

"I do not know why they moved me to the new scheme," she said. "I hardly have enough money to live day-to-day.

"By them paying the money directly to me it created temptation to use it for other things which has resulted in me being in arrears and possibly being evicted. "'

She should be evicted for being stupid, take the child into care as she is obviously unfit to be a mother.

So they know how to pay their gas bill and electricity bill [...] but they don't know how to pay rent?

Lots of people are on meter, at a guess - there would be no bill to pay.

And food? and clothes? and TV License?

Article said 'One tenant failing to cope is Margaret Tonks, a single mother from Broseley, Shropshire.

"I do not know why they moved me to the new scheme," she said. "I hardly have enough money to live day-to-day.

"By them paying the money directly to me it created temptation to use it for other things which has resulted in me being in arrears and possibly being evicted. "'

She should be evicted for being stupid, take the child into care as she is obviously unfit to be a mother.

Now that I can agree with.

Silly bint probably spent it all on stella and fags.

So they know how to pay their gas bill and electricity bill and food but they don't know how to pay rent?

Is that stuff not paid for them as well??

Now that I can agree with.

Silly bint probably spent it all on stella and fags.

Is that stuff not paid for them as well??

No it isn't. I don't think housing benefit is either where it is a private landlord?

It is relatively straight forward though for someone to set up a standing order to pay rent even if it means a visit to CAB.

Someone must set up the meter and sign for the credit agreement on metered services.

I'm sure some people would perhaps be inconvenienced but no more so than when the masses went from weekly cash wages to monthly salaries into bank accounts including people with all types of disabilities.

Minister Steve Webb said: "We currently pay housing benefit directly to one million people in the private sector and that works pretty well.

"We are trying to treat people in council houses the same way, but we want to get it right."

So people in council houses aren’t as smart as people in private sector houses. :rolleyes:

And food? and clothes? and TV License?

Food doesn't need a great level of organisation. One eats when one is hungry. However I doubt these people are highly organised when it comes to stocking their cupboards.

I don't know about how they buy clothes or TV licence - I can only assume. Maybe some cope, maybe some don't.

I work in debt and some people just cannot manage their money - fundamentally. I'm not defending them, they reap what they sow, but there isn't an easy answer of just letting them suffer and throwing them out of their house. That just brings other problems.

---------- Post added 12-03-2013 at 16:27 ----------

It is relatively straight forward though for someone to set up a standing order to pay rent even if it means a visit to CAB.

That's one solution. :)

However it does suffer in that the money still has to be there to leave the account.

Someone must set up the meter and sign for the credit agreement on metered services.

I don't think there is credit on metered utilities. These meters are often used to pay back utility arrears, for people who couldn't cope paying their bill regularly - even with Direct Debits and Standing Orders involved.

So people in council houses aren’t as smart as people in private sector houses. :rolleyes:

Come one, that's pretty restrained for a Tory.

He didn't call them low-lifes, or knuckle-draggers or anything.

I don't think giving people the money to manage themselves is a bad idea in itself.

For a number of years people with learning difficulties and mental health problems are in reciept of what is called 'Self Directed Support'.

You can read a little more about it here: http://www.sheffieldmentalhealth.org.uk/other-support/self-directed-support

However I do know of a couple of instances where some people have chosen to use the money in a way I think is outside the spirit of the system.

Somewhere in the wider Universal Credit system, there may have to be an element of 'paternalism', for people who quite frankly are feckless. These are not representative of people on benefits as a whole, but whose incompetance is used to lampoon people on benefits in general.

The next step is to build huge complexes for those people incapable of managing their free money, a bit like army barracks in which everything is provided leaving them with no need for money.

They're called 'workhouses'....