Finding stuff in street/park/public place

Just watching a program on BBC 1,the police are deliberately leaving stuff in deserted public places and filming whoever picks it up.

these items are not locked up but just left on a park bench for anyone to find.

They have also not been reported as lost or stolen

I'm pretty disgusted at this,its encouraging people to take the stuff which in turn ends up with an arrest and makes the police look good.

Also it seems that the general public are hindering the scam as they keep handing in the property,which means the police have to go out and re-ploy the stuff,taking up valuable police time!!!!

Also got me thinking,if you found ,say £100 cash in a wallet containing no ID or contact number,would you be obligated to hand it in to the police.

personnally i would'nt:rant:

Theft by finding isn't it?

thats my point,in this case they fitted a tracker into laptop,left it on a park bench then a bloke picked it up about 2 hours later.

the police went round to his house the day after and arrested him for theft.

How can this be:huh: he's found it on a bench,not:loopy: stolen it

thats my point,in this case they fitted a tracker into laptop,left it on a park bench then a bloke picked it up about 2 hours later.

the police went round to his house the day after and arrested him for theft.

How can this be:huh: he's found it on a bench,not:loopy: stolen it

He should have handed it in..that's why it's called "theft by finding"..... it's not his...

He should have handed it in..that's why it's called "theft by finding"..... it's not his...

Is theft by finding a crime:confused::confused:

all the bloke had to do was say was he hadn't had time to hand the laptop in yet,

he wasn't even at home when the police raided his home with a warrant

Is theft by finding a crime:confused::confused:

Yes..I think so..

"Theft by Finding

This can include the situation where a person walking down the street comes across an item of property, picks it up and keeps it. There are certain situations where property has clearly been discarded as rubbish. In that situation there would be no prosecution. There are other situations where the property clearly has not been thrown away because of its condition or value.

In that situation if a person picks up that item and keeps it as their own they may face a prosecution for theft by finding. Once again, usually the issue of dishonesty will be the main factor in the case. If the defence can satisfy the court that the person genuinely believed that the item had been discarded then the court may well find them not guilty of any offence."

from here

http://www.professionaldefencelawyers.co.uk/defence/index.asp?page=theft-charge-or-offences-of-dishonesty-22