X BOX 360 advice/help

Hi

I have a 10 year old lad who wants to buy a 2nd hand xbox 360.

Can someone please explain to how the amount of memory affects it?

How much memory will he need just to play games?

I have seen 20, 60, 120gb etc. But dont want to pay more if memory is not needed!

Thanks

---------- Post added 12-03-2013 at 09:33 ----------

80 views and no replies....surely somebody can give a little advice please????

The 20GB units are very old models now and were part of the first release wave. Notorious for breaking down. Would avoid.

Suggest minimum going for a 120GB model, as these had improved internals and were less prone to failure. Games run faster if you install them to the hard drive, and with each game typically being 4-8GB the space will fill up quick. Also most Arcade game downloads are now typically around 1.5GB each.

Be advised buying second hand machines is a minefield, you could easily get a chipped unit which has been banned from going online, or a unit which has been badly repaired. If you are going to get a second hand unit best to use a shop like Game, then at least if there is an issue you have a way of sorting it out. Free-ads or E-bay this could be a problem.

Given that the new Xbox 720 is coming out before year end, I'd hold on for a while as new 360 machines are bound to get another price cut.

The 20GB units are very old models now and were part of the first release wave. Notorious for breaking down. Would avoid.

Suggest minimum going for a 120GB model, as these had improved internals and were less prone to failure. Games run faster if you install them to the hard drive, and with each game typically being 4-8GB the space will fill up quick. Also most Arcade game downloads are now typically around 1.5GB each.

Be advised buying second hand machines is a minefield, you could easily get a chipped unit which has been banned from going online, or a unit which has been badly repaired. If you are going to get a second hand unit best to use a shop like Game, then at least if there is an issue you have a way of sorting it out. Free-ads or E-bay this could be a problem.

Given that the new Xbox 720 is coming out before year end, I'd hold on for a while as new 360 machines are bound to get another price cut.

Decent advice. I'd like to add, make sure to check the waranty seal. If the seal is broken, then it's likely that the machine has been chipped at some point. Mate of mine bought one from Cash Converters (spit) in Bradford, and paid not much less than full price. He got it home and tried getting on the net only to find that the XBox had been banned, so he could never play online with it.

If you're not bothered about playing online, then there are loads of banned XBoxes on ebay and they're a lot cheaper than the ones which aren't banned.

Hi yes I would neverbuy one of eBay or here for the simple reason that most of the sold ones have been tampered with which voids the warranty and probably not fixed right second is that they might be chipped and could be banned.

Your son will probably want to go online and play with his friends or whatever so best option would be buy one but from a shop like Game :)

Thanks Jack.

unless he wants to go on xbox live then he dosnt need a big memory.

I'd hold out for the new consoles, you are going to be buying him a 360 and by november he'll be wanting the new xbox