Landlords responsibilities question

2 Months ago we gave our landlords agents a list of jobs that needed doing some just a bit niggly things like leaky sink and dribbly taps and a few that we feel were urgent like a big shard of glass sticking up from the ceramic hob from where part of the kitchen that wasn't attached fell on my head and landed on it.

We had 3 different builders finally come to look round and give quotes last week and now Acom want to send round 3 more, my wife is due to give birth any day and we were wondering where we stand legally :confused:

Edited by Gordie

Much depends on What L is obliged to do under:

a. the Letting Agreement; and/or

b. section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985.

11. Repairing obligations in short leases.

(1) In a lease to which this section applies (as to which, see sections 13 and 14) there is implied a covenant by the lessor:

(a) to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling-house (including drains, gutters and external pipes),

(b) to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for the supply of water, gas and electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences, but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity), and

© to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for space heating and heating water.

Contact the Sheffield City Council's Private Sector Housing Team and request a housing inspection. They will arrange to inspect your property and assess it using the Housing Health & Safety Rating System (HHSRS). HHSRS looks at 29 potential health & safety hazards within a property, these range from damp/mould growth, excessive cold, through to food safety and electrical safety and assesses the likelhood of an incident arising from the condition of the property and the likely harmful outcome.

The assessment will show the presence of any hazards; serious hazards are Category 1 and less serious Category 2. If any Cat 1 hazards are found to be present, then the local authority must take the most appropriate action, this could include serving on the landlord a legaly enforceable notice requiring them to undertake improvement work in the property or doing the works it self and claiming the costs back off the landlord.

Thank's everyone for the private messages and replies.

I have contacted Sheffield City Council's Private Sector Housing Team who were most helpful and explained a lot of things including the legal requirement for outside steps as ours is so monumentally high a few of our relatives can't even manage it

Thank's everyone for the private messages and replies.

I have contacted Sheffield City Council's Private Sector Housing Team who were most helpful and explained a lot of things including the legal requirement for outside steps as ours is so monumentally high a few of our relatives can't even manage it

I'll take it the steps were that high when you looked at the property then moved in :suspect:

I'll take it the steps were that high when you looked at the property then moved in :suspect:

Actually no, they were not, but thank you for adding some valuable input into the thread :loopy:

Actually no, they were not, but thank you for adding some valuable input into the thread :loopy:

Ok Gordie, don't get so touchy, so you were in the property when the steps were changed fair enough .... BTW your website looks OK pity about your attitude :D

Whatever Michael, you just keep on trolling and gloitering

I don,t agree with the landlord wasting so many builders of their time. He is after the cheapest. But on a positivenote he is getting it sorted. Most tenants on here complain about landlords being ignorant and not getting anything done.