Parent and child parking meadowhall

Don't think anyone really has a problem with mother and child spaces - think the main problem comes about at least as far as I am concerned when you have a mother with child that thinks they are above anyone else. I know a couple of young mums that get quite vocally aggressive if someone parks in one of these bays without a child, one even telling me that she would happily slap someone for this! My other half parked in one of these spaces when I had a pot on my arm and we used it so that I could open the door wide to enable getting out.

I find it interesting that you are saying that you need the extra space to open your door which is due to a physical disability, but choose to park in a parent and child space but don't say anything about parking in a disabled bay. Why can't you get out of the car before the driver pulls into a space?

I do think that from your comments you seem to have a problem with parents and children using the spaces that are designed for them. Why do you feel that parents are saying that they are above everyone else when they are only using what has been provided for them to use and say something to selfish, jealous people who like to use the spaces wrongly.

This post was started by someone who was just asking for advice, but yet all people who seem to have a problem with parent and child spaces come on trying to upset others. All those people who are like this, you really should try to resolve your problems as you would have a happier life, or maybe you enjoy being like this and get pleasure out of trying to upset people.

I find it interesting that you are saying that you need the extra space to open your door which is due to a physical disability, but choose to park in a parent and child space but don't say anything about parking in a disabled bay. Why can't you get out of the car before the driver pulls into a space?

I do think that from your comments you seem to have a problem with parents and children using the spaces that are designed for them. Why do you feel that parents are saying that they are above everyone else when they are only using what has been provided for them to use and say something to selfish, jealous people who like to use the spaces wrongly.

This post was started by someone who was just asking for advice, but yet all people who seem to have a problem with parent and child spaces come on trying to upset others. All those people who are like this, you really should try to resolve your problems as you would have a happier life, or maybe you enjoy being like this and get pleasure out of trying to upset people.

No way should someone with a broken arm take a disabled spot meant for someone who is struggling to walk.

---------- Post added 11-03-2013 at 20:09 ----------

Don't think anyone really has a problem with mother and child spaces - think the main problem comes about at least as far as I am concerned when you have a mother with child that thinks they are above anyone else. I know a couple of young mums that get quite vocally aggressive if someone parks in one of these bays without a child, one even telling me that she would happily slap someone for this! My other half parked in one of these spaces when I had a pot on my arm and we used it so that I could open the door wide to enable getting out.

We have used them in the past to enable elderly relatives to get out of the car safely.

No way should someone with a broken arm take a disabled spot meant for someone who is struggling to walk.

---------- Post added 11-03-2013 at 20:09 ----------

We have used them in the past to enable elderly relatives to get out of the car safely.

I wasn't saying they should use a disabled spot, I was trying to point out how they seem to have a problem with parents using parent and child spaces.

Once again it boils down to the fact that these spaces should be reclassified as 'extra wide' spaces for those that just happen to need them, and situated at the back of the car park with safe paths to and from the store.

We have used mum & baby spots before, just after I had surgery and my husband had to help me out of the car. There are plenty of reasons why parents AND childfree people might need a wider space on any given day.

Once again it boils down to the fact that these spaces should be reclassified as 'extra wide' spaces for those that just happen to need them, and situated at the back of the car park with safe paths to and from the store.

We have used mum & baby spots before, just after I had surgery and my husband had to help me out of the car. There are plenty of reasons why parents AND childfree people might need a wider space on any given day.

So you had surgery and were well enough to go shopping but not to use a normal space.

That's a great suggestion, would stop the arguments. Need a wider space? Fine, why not. If they weren't all closest to the entrances it would put off people who didn't particularly need them.

So you had surgery and were well enough to go shopping but not to use a normal space.

Hey, the sales wait for no man (or woman)....:hihi:

We actually popped into Crystal Peaks for some snacks and a DVD, not a few hours traipsing round the shops.

Hey, the sales wait for no man (or woman)....:hihi:

We actually popped into Crystal Peaks for some snacks and a DVD, not a few hours traipsing round the shops.

Hmmm I think I would give you a pass on that one, parking at peaks is crappy at the best of times.

I am going to meadowhall for the first time since having my son and wonder if you could tell me where the parent and child parking spaces are, are there some in each car park? Which car park would you say is the best/easiest? Are there lifts from the underground car parking? Sorry for all the questions :)

Getting back on topic, I use the ones underground (I know what you mean!!!) at the central parking, which is the main roundabout if you enter near TFI.

There are bays either side and yes there are lifts to get you upstairs.

I think there might even be parent & child bays on the upper levels as well.

Oh I get some good looks when I park my van in one....

Maybe all the car parking spaces should be wider, then everyone would manage, however this would then reduce the number of parking spaces and wouldn't be fair on the individuals who don't abuse the parent and child or disabled parking bays.

For the person who suggests that the parent and child shouldn't be nearest the entrances, although it would help discourage lazy people abusing these spaces, at the same time, why should parents be forced to park so far away just because there are too many selfish people.

I also have a suggestion for the people saying they need extra wide spaces who don't have a child. When I can't find a parent and child space, I try to find a space on the end of a row, so that the side I need to open my door wide enough to get my baby out without twisting and damaging my back, is where another vehicle can't park. I also drive in forwards, so I can get my pushchair out of my boot. I might have to park farther away from the entrances. I don't see why some of the people saying they need extra space can't do this. Another option they have, is if they are not the driver, then they can simply park in normal space but just get out before the driver pulls into the parking space.

When I see people parking in parent and child spaces when I feel they don't need this, I do nicely ask them if they genuinely need the space. The most pathetic answer I've had is; they need the wider space so they can open their door to get their shopping in. I have also observed some elderly people parking there but I didn't say anything to them as all the disabled spaces were full and I appreciate they may need this space and if ther was only one space left, I would rather then use this than me. I could park further away on the end and manage but they may not be able to do this. (this wasn't at Meadowhall). I think if everyone was more considerate then things would be a lot better.

I love how an innocent question has turned into a debate.

As the mother of an 8 month old, i used to find mother child parking infuriating and i had a few arguments about it when i parked in the spaces when i couldnt find one elsewhere. Why should people be rewarded with a nice, wide parking space close to the centre JUST for procreating??

NOW, i realise why they are needed. It is virtually impossible to take out a car seat with a heavy baby in without enough room at the side. I agree there is no need for them to be closer, like disabled ones are (although i few times when it was cold/raining and i had a newborn baby, i was glad that they were closer!), but they are VERY useful and make it a lot easier and make me more likely to visit places with my baby that do have these spaces. I would be more than happy for mother child spaces to be put further away.. its the wide-ness thats the main selling point for me.

Anyone who has a problem with these spaces.. come with me next time i go shopping and YOU try and get the baby out of the car in a normal space WITHOUT bumping the next cars door

It annoys me how people with older kids who can walk use them though.. there really is no need then..

Outside next is the best one however is always busy:-(

---------- Post added 24-05-2014 at 12:15 ----------

It is hard to find free parking space for parents with children as the number of spaces is far to small. We should ask to increase them as it is very frustrating!!!