Parent and child parking meadowhall

There was no such thing as parent and child spaces when I had young children.

It wasn't a problem......

Now the facility is there, but I don't see the need for them to be as close to the shopping centre as possible.....often in preference to disabled spaces.

No wonder we are becoming a nation with obesity problems.

Nor me, but in the 1970s far fewer of us had cars; far fewer mums could drive anyway; children didn't need car seats; there weren't supermarkets as we now know them, and certainly nowhere like M'hall. Shopping was much more local. I walked everywhere with a pram, then a pushchair with one child in it, and one standing on the rail behind.

Now I'm a grandmother, and have experienced shopping with all my grandchildren as babies and toddlers, a wide space is a godsend. I don't care where it is, I'll park at the end of a row of ordinary spaces if there aren't any parent and small child spaces available. Its about getting them out of the car seat safely. It costs nothing, and unless we're entitled to disabled parking, there is no reason why the rest of us can't just walk a little further on occasion.

Thank you for all your replies, but you always get one on a rant don't you, beansforyou, I can quite easily walk with my pram from the end if the car park if need be, I was merely asking where the parent and child spaces are, these spaces are preferred as we are actually considering the other cars parked next to us, we need to be able to open the rear door a good distance to get the car seat out. May I also suggest if you can't answer the question in the thread don't bother posting, if you want a rant or debate I'm sure you can start your own thread.

Thank you again to everyone else.

Diabolical and child friendly parking, that's hilarious. Mind you it was nearly 1am when you posted strix, so probably worse for wear heh.

I did answer one your questions op, and I can assure you no ranting has taken place, it's hardly exciting enough to reply to. I was merely curious, and many have now answered my questions.

Ms mcbeth makes most sense, I things outside our control, new laws, shopping habits, have made us feel less able over the years.

It really does sound like public transport might be easier? The tram especially.

You'd think they would make extra large bays for the extra large penises, but I suppose they'd be full of BMWs :lol:

Enjoy your day out with your baby bubbly.

Diabolical and child friendly parking, that's hilarious. Mind you it was nearly 1am when you posted strix, so probably worse for wear heh.

I did answer one your questions op, and I can assure you no ranting has taken place, it's hardly exciting enough to reply to. I was merely curious, and many have now answered my questions.

Ms mcbeth makes most sense, I things outside our control, new laws, shopping habits, have made us feel less able over the years.

It really does sound like public transport might be easier? The tram especially.

You'd think they would make extra large bays for the extra large penises, but I suppose they'd be full of BMWs :lol:

Enjoy your day out with your baby bubbly.

Whilst there wasnt child friendly parking when I was growing up, I really wished that there was as I can remember getting in trouble a lot from my parents after I was unable to open the door and not ding the car next to my mum and dads. That was when I was about 5. The whole point is that it prevents kids from banging the car next to theirs. It also helps regarding prams etc.

I dont agree at all that the spaces should be so close to the entrances and I think that the system as a whole needs a massive shake up as I constantly see people parking in those spaces that do not require them. Hilarious examples being hair dresser cars (Ford Streetka, mazda mx5's etc) where theres no chance a small child will ever be the passenger.

I can understand why the spaces are close to the centre as it minimises the risk that an idiot pushing a pram is going to walk in front of a car or use the pram as a battering ram however I would much rather see those spaces in locations far away from the entrances but close to a decent pavement, such as the oasis car park or along the side of BHS.

As for your statement regarding public transport, thats really only an option if your lucky enough to live near a decent route. Those that arent are screwed as the options are just not worth it. For instance, Treeton is served by 1 bus an hour to sheffield (First X14) and every half hour to rotherham (First 33). So to get to meadowhall which is only a 10 minute drive away, you would have to get one of these services, change in rotherham or sheffield and then get another to meadowhall. Total journey time will be about 45 minutes to an hour. On the way back it gets even better as you are likely to have a long wait in sheffield or rotherham for a journey back to Treeton.

I am going to meadowhall for the first time since having my son and wonder if you could tell me where the parent and child parking spaces are, are there some in each car park? Which car park would you say is the best/easiest? Are there lifts from the underground car parking? Sorry for all the questions :)

Just do what i do,

If theres no parent place then take a spare disabled bay. Theres always loads of them empty.

As an example, the Germans have a word - schadenfreude - that neatly sums up taking pleasure in the misfortune of others. We do not have an equivalent word.

I wonder if they have a word for bitterness that accommodations and provisions have been made to make somebody else's life easier?

ah seems like the usual on sf, those damm pesky kids and their needs spoiling everyone's life

I feel a "why do sheffield people hate children" thread coming on and rightfully so!

So why are they always at a lesser distance than normal spaces?

Why do parents with children require more space to get a child out of a car than anything else, but only when near shopping areas?

At what age do you stop classing the person in the car as a mother/child?

I often take my mother out in my car, does that mean I can park in the mother & child spaces?

She has trouble getting herself out :lol:

They are wider so you can get car seats out and things without banging other cars.

They are closer to the shops so you don't have to walk through a dangerous car park with a pram or toddler.

idiot. Why even bother winding people up? Especially not parents who have a tough enough job as it is without idiots like you having a go.

They are wider so you can get car seats out and things without banging other cars.

They are closer to the shops so you don't have to walk through a dangerous car park with a pram or toddler.idiot. Why even bother winding people up? Especially not parents who have a tough enough job as it is without idiots like you having a go.

Cant understand how anybody can have a problem with this.:(

Don't think anyone really has a problem with mother and child spaces - think the main problem comes about at least as far as I am concerned when you have a mother with child that thinks they are above anyone else. I know a couple of young mums that get quite vocally aggressive if someone parks in one of these bays without a child, one even telling me that she would happily slap someone for this! My other half parked in one of these spaces when I had a pot on my arm and we used it so that I could open the door wide to enable getting out.

They are closer to the shops so you don't have to walk through a dangerous car park with a pram or toddler.

idiot. Why even bother winding people up? Especially not parents who have a tough enough job as it is without idiots like you having a go.

Because of people like you, dear :lol:

If you find being a parent a tough job, your doing it wrong. it ought to be a pleasure, and a blessing.

Don't think anyone really has a problem with mother and child spaces - think the main problem comes about at least as far as I am concerned when you have a mother with child that thinks they are above anyone else. I know a couple of young mums that get quite vocally aggressive if someone parks in one of these bays without a child, one even telling me that she would happily slap someone for this! My other half parked in one of these spaces when I had a pot on my arm and we used it so that I could open the door wide to enable getting out.

You couldn't get out of the car before your oh pulled into a normal space. :roll: I would have got "vocally aggressive" too.