Another tech question.

*_ash_*

The graphics card and motherboard graphics are all screwed (my old computer)

I heard that is possible to run some kind of USB cable to the monitor directly.

I've looked on line and there are some that are about 60 quid. I don't want to buy it if the graphics aspect means it won't work.

Any advice please?

What makes you think your graphics are screwed? Can you give us your current system specs?

Cheaper than £60 options....

1) Try a different grapics card

2) Buy a second-hand motherboard

3) Buy a cheap 2nd hand system (you see them in the classified here)

What makes you think your graphics are screwed? Can you give us your current system specs?

Cheaper than £60 options....

1) Try a different grapics card

2) Buy a second-hand motherboard

3) Buy a cheap 2nd hand system (you see them in the classified here)

1) tried, worked for a week, then it stopped

2) I prefer option 3 to this

3) I want my old computer back. It has all my music on it, and my photos, and I know my way around it. I'd rather pay 60 to get it working than buy another and buy a load more hassle. I can just about handle change with some difficulty, but when the change is some piece of **** like this Win8 thing where I can get **** all to work, it's too much.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1113477

Is it your graphics card or your monitor? Do you have a spare monitor?

If you want to get your music back just down any GNU/Linux distro that runs live, attach an external drive and copy stuff across. This wouldn't be related would it? http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1137400

My monitor is ok with new computer. On the old one, the graphics card is bust, and the internal one is also.

Yes it is related to the other thread.

---------- Post added 10-03-2013 at 23:34 ----------

Basically, I want to try and get my old computer working. I hate this W8.

I want to know whether I can just buy a USB to monitor cable for my old one. But as I say the graphics is bust on it.

But if you replaced the graphics card and it just broke again, that suggests the PC itself (possibly the PSU) is faulty and blew the card.

In that case any attempt to repair it is likely to end up with the same result, including a USB adapter.

But if you replaced the graphics card and it just broke again, that suggests the PC itself (possibly the PSU) is faulty and blew the card.

In that case any attempt to repair it is likely to end up with the same result, including a USB adapter.

Damn. I could be stuck with this new one then :(

My monitor is ok with new computer. On the old one, the graphics card is bust, and the internal one is also.
have you considered taking the HDD out of the old PC & putting it in the new one (as a 2nd HDD)? You might even be able to config your new PC to boot from it at start-up (= like the old computer that you want, but with new bits/better performance). No cost either, if you can do this yourself :) (provided new PC innards can accommodate, of course, so relevant power supply molex available, IDE or SATA cable available, etc.) Edited by L00b