Myers Grove Comp in the 60s

Did anyone attend Myers Grove in those years ? Mr Wardle was my year tutor and I began first year in 1D2...Would love to hear from anyone with a story to tell !!! :o)

Think a teacher of History, was Ian Wright, he got involved in raising school funds by buying and selling steam train memrabillia.

I was there from 1966-70, year tutor was Stuart Furniss, Wiilie Hill was upper school head and I think the lower school head was called Sanderson. There was Mr&Mrs Blaby who taught history and I think French, Mr Short English, Mr Marsh general science, Mr Wardle taught RE, we knew him as pick lick roll and flick. Sports was Mr Snell and Mr Smith and Mr Burgin, wood work Mr Denton, sadly I spent a lot of my last year fishing as I couldn't wait to leave. I did get excluded for a short time for blowing the boys toilet up after a chemistry lesson.

Edited by jimbo2107

Sorry deej cannot send a pm as I haven't done enough posts yet. But I was in 1&2B4 then 3M2 and finally 4G1, but on the few occasions I went to school in the last year they kept asking who I was and was I actually a pupil or a visitor.

i used to go to that school around then , my nicname was stan

I didn't go to Myers Grove ; Hinde house in fact & left 1960 but my form teacher for last 2 years was Geoff Hook. He was a wonderful teacher & took us on trips to Straford & was just a great guy. I believe he went to Myers grove as head. Is that true & do you have any memories of him?

John

Hi. I went to Myers from 67-73. Mr Marsh was my year head. Mr Sanderson was Lower school Head and Mr Hill upper school head if I remember rightly.

Hi

I was there 60 to 64 although the first set of kids arrived in 59.

Think these kids came from Bole Hill school perhaps.

Billy Hill was I think a grammar school head and when he got appointed to MG one of the first comp's he was determined to run it as a grammar school hence all the sports pitches were marked out for rugby. The kids weren't allowed to play football.

Now this as you can imagine didn't go down too well and one night someone took an axe to one of the rugby posts and chopped them down.

He (Hill) also insisted the staff wear "batman" capes.

Some of the staff.

Billy Hill Head.

"Jet" Wray dep head.

Wardle "satchmo"

Sanders / Sanderson... I forget

Haydock Felt very sorry for her daughter who attended. Think she got bullied because of her mother

Monkeman nice guy who took woodwork.

Osgathorpe Metalwork

Jackson who took art

A very nice young teacher who took French. All the boys drooled over her.

Mrs Price?

A pair of thugs who took pe?

A Mr Jameson also a nice guy

Furniss Loved himself and told tall tales all of us convinced were utter bull...p

I'm sure there's more that I've forgotten.

Would love to hear the experience of the first 59ers.

Has anyone any memories of their time spent there during that period.

A few teachers I remember Miss Fford was our form teacher,and the art teacher,Mr Wardle, Mr Edwards(music).Mrs Fairclough (French).Mr Ward (woodwork).Mr Hunt, Mrs Smith and later Burgin (PE),Mr Milner(Geography)

It was such a great school,a crying shame to demolish it :(

i went to myers from 77-81 &duggie wardle was still there then had some great times & good memories

I was there a bit later 80-84 but remember most of those teachers.You have probably seen it but last weekend I was at York Museum and they were showing a documentary about Myers Grove from 1969/70 this link will take you to it http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/ just type Myers Grove into the search box.

We are trying to contact former pupils who were in the first in take to Myers Grove in 1961 ang went through some until 1968. If any teachers are available also welcome.