Loft Conversion advice MEGATHREAD- no advertising/quotations

The seller should know if they've applied for planning permissions for it, but I'm assuming you've already asked and they haven't?

Ring building control and they should have it on record if anything has been done so far (they have to come and sign jobs off at a few intervals along the way as well as approving plans before work begins).

Otherwise, a builder should be able to tell you if any proper work has gone into it, but if not and you want to do it, you'd have to start from scratch and you're talking over a grand for plans and calculations and building regs before you do any work at all! In middle of having mine done now and its a lot more work and cost than we thought initially!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Spot on advice.

I would gamble that none of it complies, so unless you really need the extra bedroom I would just count it as decent storage space. Otherwise, start from scratch.

In middle of having mine done now and its a lot more work and cost than we thought initially!

Come across this quite often myself. A lot of people I know have come to me thinking that you just need to put a bit of plasterboard and insulation up with a few floorboards and hey you're done. As mentioned correctly by numerous people you need to think about things like reinforcing the ceiling joists and also ventilation.

In traditional constructions most roof voids are cold roofs which mean they are ventilated to remove warm air that has risen from the livable spaces and prevent moisture build up internally. If you just simply insulate the space then there is no place for the warm air to go and if not designed properly or incorrect materials are used condensation builds up which may cause damp, which may in turn rot the rafters.

Funnily enough there was a report last year on about people overloading their loft spaces thinking the floors could take it and the number of ceiling collapses was increasing due to this.

Edited by Keen Mustard

Spot on advice.

I would gamble that none of it complies, so unless you really need the extra bedroom I would just count it as decent storage space. Otherwise, start from scratch.

The propety should not be advvertised as having a loft convertion if no bulding regs and final signing off form issued . If it is contact estate agent. Any offer you put in should be based on that no work has been done at all. I had the same problem with an estate and they finished up altering advert .You should ask to see all paper work for any alterations to propety.

Come across this quite often myself. A lot of people I know have come to me thinking that you just need to put a bit of plasterboard and insulation up with a few floorboards and hey you're done..

Yep, hubbys idea, we already had a thick chipboard floor down which does actually meet standards as it is 20mm thick, he figured all we had to do was stick some stairs in kids bedroom, and plaster the walls!

Unfortunately, the floor was all that had been done, no new joists or anything, it had just been made into a bit of a storage space, it probably, with the heavy floor and no new joists, wasn't even safe to walk on before :hihi:

Hi,

I am in the process of buying a house which has an incomplete loft conversion; it is currently being used as a bedroom but there is no staircase and access is gained via a ladder through the loft hatch.

I would like to get an experts opinion on the work that has been done and what else is required to bring it up to regulations (such as fitting a propper staircase).

I am unsure if i need a builder or an architect for this, could anyone with experience please advise?

Thanks,

jodman

Hi, I recently had a similar senario, with mine as there is no staircase the floor had not been put in properly, (to regs etc) called loft company called top storey, Mike was brilliant, explained everything in detail etc. www.top-storey.co.uk/sheffield

Hi,

I see a few good answers here already so I wont go over that info again. If you put in dormer windows that are of a similar finish to the existing roof and set back from the eaves by a min of 200mm you will not require planning approval for the work.

You will however require building regulations approval which will require architectural drawings (which I can do for you at a very competitive price)

In the past I've managed to get these in very small houses. The building regulations allow for some non-standard stair types for such situations (called space saver stairs) which I have experience in specifying.

Architectural Technician

BSc (Hons)

[email protected]

Hi,

I see a few good answers here already so I wont go over that info again. If you put in dormer windows that are of a similar finish to the existing roof and set back from the eaves by a min of 200mm you will not require planning approval for the work.

You will however require building regulations approval which will require architectural drawings (which I can do for you at a very competitive price)

In the past I've managed to get these in very small houses. The building regulations allow for some non-standard stair types for such situations (called space saver stairs) which I have experience in specifying.

Unless of course the building is Listed (highly unlikely that the building is Listed) or is in a Conservation Area.

I am thinking of buying a house that has an attic room but not a full conversion it only has a pull down ladder to access it. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of what it would cost to do a proper conversion with stair access I dont want offers of quotes as i have not bought the property yet but if someone could tell me if I am talking 5 10 or 15 thousand for example? thanks

Well from the sounds of it the roof space is currently used for storage purposes only as is the case in many houses. Without seeing the roof structure itself I would reckon that the ceiling joists would need reinforcing for compliance with Building Regulations and that requires the involvement of an engineer, plus the application for Building Regulations Approval itself overall. Are there any windows to the space? If not you would have to consider the installation of a dormer window or rooflights. I don't like giving out estimates without knowing all the details but I think you're looking at a minimum of £15k if you want it doing right, possibly even more. Sometimes depends on the circumstances it could prove much more easier and cost effective just to get an extension built to gain some extra space.

ok thanks that is a big help as i can now negotiate the asking price. It does have windows in and is described as an occasional attic room! But it will need planning and building regs Is this something you do as if i do go ahead with the sale it will need proper estimates done Cheers

I am thinking of buying a house that has an attic room but not a full conversion it only has a pull down ladder to access it. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of what it would cost to do a proper conversion with stair access I dont want offers of quotes as i have not bought the property yet but if someone could tell me if I am talking 5 10 or 15 thousand for example? thanks

Installing a staircase will eat into the first-floor rooms, of course.