Egypt. Anyone been to el gouna?

Thinking about an all inclusive to El Gouna this year. I have heard it's nice and clean. Weather hot, we just want sun, sea and relaxation. Anyone been, if so please share your thoughts. We'd be grateful of some honest opinions. Thanks.

Where ever you go in egypt,make sure you take tablets to stop diarrhea.

I'm afraid I wouldn't go there if you paid me. What's the point in going somewhere if to feel safe you've got to stay within the hotel complex ? I haven't been but have heard other people's opinions, then there is the latest kidnapping incident. I don't think I'd feel safe in the sea either with the odd shark making an appearance ! There are much more appealing and safer places to go to, but then that's just my opinion. :)

Me and the wife have been looking at it and decided against it, home office reports say only go if absolutely necessary, basically if anything happens your on your own

Not really worth the risk tbh

El Gouna is a wonderful small town that is well away from the main road between Hurgardha and Cairo. The people who work there are very friendly and welcome the visitors. I have been 9 times and found no problems with any nationalities or religions. Them comment with regard to the food and upset tums I feel is quite unfounded if you are careful of what you eat and drink. You do not have to stay in "a hotel complex" as the whole town is accessable and houses some very nice restaurants.

Go and enjoy

I live and work in the Middle East and I was in Cairo last weekend for some 'R n R' and had few problems except for the fact that I was hassled a bit more aggressively than usual from hawkers and assorted con men because there are few tourists on the ground and lots of people chasing tourists. However, I did see a fair amount of street violence and you could feel a bit of an undercurrent and there is always at the back of your mind of the possibility of being in the wrong place at the wrong time

Personally, I would not book Egypt well in advance due to the political and currency situation. I selected my weekend after a lull in the recent protests.

The resort areas will be a lot quieter than Cairo, Alexandria and Port Said but the problems for the resorts occur when transferring from Cairo to the sea resort by road. Lots of car jackings and coaches being stopped on road blocks.

Check with the foreign office website for latest travel updates on Egypt. You will find the one for Egypt changing on a daily basis. Dubai is very nice in the summer.:)

If you look at the voting, it makes you wonder.

Do you think the voters of the MB thought about tourism? Most of Shafik voting was in the tourist areas, perhaps fearing that no sod would go to Egypt.

Their tourism figures will make interesting reading later in the year.

Where ever you go in egypt,make sure you take tablets to stop diarrhea.

More like drink plenty of water.

---------- Post added 08-03-2013 at 10:48 ----------

I've been to Elgouna it is a very clean man made resort and is stunning I'm sure you will enjoy.

We didn't stay there as we were in hurghada six of us and we got a taxi up there for the day, if u pm me your email I will try and find you some pics of the place

I have been to El gonna staying at the 3 corners ocean view twice.

It's a wonderful purpose built holiday resort, a lot of the hotels are built on man made lagoons.

It has a lovely marina and it feels very safe to walk around in the evening and is spotlessly clean

The shopkeepers are not allowed to hassle you, so you can browse the shops,bars and fantastic restaurants.

You can get around some of the lagoons on little boats or just take a tok took ride.

My wife and me have last week returned from the Palm Royale at Soma Bay which is about 50 miles from El Gouna.

This hotel really is something special, don,t take my word for it, just take a look on trip advisor. Absolutely fantastic.

Hope that helps, we can,t wait to go back