Looking for open mic opportunities

I play bass in a new-ish punk band. Half the band hasn't gigged before, so I'm looking out for any local Open Mic events (preferably on a Sunday afternoon) to pop their live cherries, so speak.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Look in the evenings out section. Quite a few there.

Already looked; nothing on Sunday afternoons.

Unfortunately, the drummer is currently working a particularly unhelpful shift pattern which means that Sunday afternoons are the only time we can play! I'm hoping to find some opportunities to play a few Sunday live slots/open mic events in preparation for the time when his availability eventually improves.

With respect, having just listened to one of the tracks by your band, I wouldn't have thought there'd be many open mics that would welcome you - on account of the style (and presumably volume!) of your music. They tend to be largely acoustic affairs.

With respect, having just listened to one of the tracks by your band, I wouldn't have thought there'd be many open mics that would welcome you - on account of the style (and presumably volume!) of your music. They tend to be largely acoustic affairs.

Yeah, I know. We've thought about doing a few acoustic sets without the drummer - some of our songs sound surprisingly melodic unplugged - but I'd prefer to try to find somewhere where we could thrash through a few numbers with the full-on electric contingent. Possibly wasting my time, but I can afford the expenditure of a few pixels to post the question on here! ;)

Might it be worth asking at your practice rooms if you can just bring along fifteen/twenty mates/relatives one time and play your gig there?

Not the same as a 'proper' gig, but close. The band I'm in played our first public performance at a houseparty last week. There were (when we started) eight in the audience and five in the band. It was thoroughly enjoyable on both sides though.

Might it be worth asking at your practice rooms if you can just bring along fifteen/twenty mates/relatives one time and play your gig there?

Not the same as a 'proper' gig, but close. The band I'm in played our first public performance at a houseparty last week. There were (when we started) eight in the audience and five in the band. It was thoroughly enjoyable on both sides though.

We've had a few mini audiences at the rehearsal place. They seem to enjoy themselves. Not the same as a proper gig, though. I'm just itching to get back onstage, but the shifts thing is a problem at the moment. Otherwise, we'd be trawling for opening support slots.

If you look at the Jam nights thread in this forum there is a Sunday jam session on Sundays at Woodeats WMC. Don't know who runs it but most jam sessions welcome all styles and abilities. So give it a go.

We have a jam session Sunday afternoons 4pm til 8pm at The Castle, Dykes Hall Road, Hillsborough. You would be most welcome :) We're on Facebook as "Jam at the Castle and Horse and Jockey".

There used to be one in Woodseats somewhere on a Sunday afternoon - not sure whether it's still running or not though... was the working men's behind the shops :)

The jam at the Woodseats WMC is still running, from about 5-8 pm Sundays.

There used to be one at Malin Bridge, too, although I only went once a few years ago. That was electric, too.