Halfords Bikehut.

My son has decided on a bike from Halfords, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on which branch in/around Sheffield is most trusted to get the bike set up properly?

I realise that some might say that JE James or somewhere like that might be better but he's set on a particular model so there's no further discussions on that.

Cheers in advance

im pretty sure all halfords are capable of fitting bikes up properly, halfords dont sell high end bikes but im sure they are more than capable of getting a bike out of the box and bolting it together!!

im pretty sure all halfords are capable of fitting bikes up properly, halfords dont sell high end bikes but im sure they are more than capable of getting a bike out of the box and bolting it together!!

I'm not so sure...plenty of stories on bike forums I use say otherwise. Not specific to Sheffield though.

im very sorry but this post is utter nonsense i know lots of people friends and family that have baught bike from halfords for years and also i know people that work in the sheffield halfords but without fail they offer a full bike set up service so you must have ignored the offer and thought you could do it yourself may i ask which one you purchased the bike from sir

im very sorry but this post is utter nonsense i know lots of people friends and family that have baught bike from halfords for years and also i know people that work in the sheffield halfords but without fail they offer a full bike set up service so you must have ignored the offer and thought you could do it yourself may i ask which one you purchased the bike from sir

No- he's right, Halfords do not have a good reputation amongst cyclists- therey are many accounts of their lack of knowledge on bikes. That's not to say all Halfords, or all Halfords staff lack knowledge, just that there are lots of accounts of bad experiences there.

ehhh you just completley gone of topic with lack of knowledge there all fully trained on the bike departments to to build them and give advice i know sevreal people worked there over 10 years long at the south yorkshire more from sheffield stores i can assure you now the bloke that has baught this bike has ignored the set up offer im sorry but its true

ehhh you just completley gone of topic with lack of knowledge there all fully trained on the bike departments to to build them and give advice i know sevreal people worked there over 10 years long at the south yorkshire more from sheffield stores i can assure you now the bloke that has baught this bike has ignored the set up offer im sorry but its true

Try some punctuation, it makes your comment easier to read....Halfords do have a poor reputation amongst cyclists, and as I said in my post, I wasn't specifically referring to Sheffield stores. As for accepting an offer from Halfords to set the bike up "properly", I am surprised it's even a choice. What's the alternative, have it put together incorrectly?

A friend bought a new bike from the branch nearby. On his first ride the handlebar stem came loose - luckily it was at low sped and off-road.

A few months ago I visited the same shop on the look out for any reduced parts. I could hear loud banging from the workshop - the floor was actually shaking with the impact... I got closer and a 'tech' was attacking a wheel. I asked what he was doing and he said he had been trying to true up a customer's wheel and had given up. This wasn't a joke - he was deadly serious.

I have heard reports of bad service, but to witness this taking place was pretty shocking.

I bought mine from Halfords at Crystal Peaks.

There are kids working behind counter.

It turned out that I'm doing better job with my bike maintenance as they couldn't adjust the rear brake properly.

Well I did it myself and was much more happy with the result.

My next bike will be much more expensive though,

bikes about 300 pounds are pretty much useless. Alloys just suck.