Sharkeys R.I.P

The barmaid then took an age to make the first cocktail, all the while doing that dreadful dip a straw in and taste it routine which looked pathetic.

Got it wrong, slung it down the sink, made it again, wrong again, slung it down the sink.

At this point my jaw fell open. We'd probably of drank them anyway but no, she just swatted them.

No exaggeration at all here, 15 minutes later we sat down, the cocktails were rank.

I don't work at Sharkeys, and I've been in on rare occasions, so I'm pretty impartial myself but as somebody who both works behind a bar and manages a bar I think you're way on these few points.

Firstly you will always get occasions when somebody orders a cocktail and doesn't like it. I love a mojito yet there are some bars in Sheffield that I'd never order one because it doesn't suit my tastes. Bars are given specs (often by people like me who choose their favourite incarnation) and that is how they make it every time. It may be different to the bar next door or the bar in New York, but in theory everytime you go into that bar the cocktail will taste the same.

That's why people taste the drinks. I always taste the drinks I've made, and people working for me should always do the same. If it doesn't taste right, chuck it, make it again. I'd much rather the staff had to make a drink two or three times to get it right than had to send out a cocktail that wasn't near the spec. Maybe you didn't like the cocktail, but if she made the cocktail several times and finally decided it was right, then that IMO was the right thing to do.

If you aren't prepared to wait for a cocktail you shouldn't be ordering them. Generally most cocktails I make take between 3 and 5 minutes, and I've been making (and creating) cocktails for nearly 5 years now. That's how you achieve a quality, that is worthy of paying twice as much as a vodka and coke. If you ordered 4 cocktails I'd expect to wait at least 10 minutes for those, 15 minutes certainly wouldn't be out of the ordinary ESPECIALLY if it is only one person making them.

On the occasions I've been in Sharkeys I've had nothing but great service, and from all the other comments I've heard throughout the trade (including from some of the reps who supply bars in sheffeld) they've all been positive. The only thing I can agree with you in the post is that I've sometimes heard it banded about that staff were drinking at work etc. That clearly isn't a bright idea!

However it's a big shame for the Sheffield bar scene to lose something like Sharkeys. They were a great indepedent bar doing some good work!

I will miss Sharkeys, even though I wasn't that much of a regular.

Whilst there were some problems with slow service in the early days I admit, they got over that and it was a fairly good bar to go to, with friendly staff and no attitude. They also tended to do something a little bit different with the music.

What a shame!! I can't believe it's closing. Maybe it's due to Sinclairs being about six months behind with opening their new building?!?!?

There only seem to be about four blokes there everyday...

But it may well be symptomatic of the fact that Sheffield is too dependent on its student population, and doesn't have enough high earners to support the sort of massive and varied bar scene that not only Leeds and Manchester, but Nottingham as well can support.

But it may well be symptomatic of the fact that Sheffield is too dependent on its student population, and doesn't have enough high earners to support the sort of massive and varied bar scene that not only Leeds and Manchester, but Nottingham as well can support.

More like all the 'high earners' would prefer to stay home because of the lack of classy bars.

Although Sheffield is getting better with bars like boho, runaway girl etc.

Oh no! Whaddabout Jungle Juice on a Wednesday?!

Ditto about great vibe, staff, music and drinks.

no more bass bar,or jungle juice.

the music was ace,the cocktails were great and the staff were the soundest staff in sheffield.

hey bit of a long shot but just in case anyone who used to work at sharkey's is up for a bit of work at lights down low we are short one cloakroom person this saturday, PM me for details. or actually you could call the shop might be quicker 0114 2669433

as far as the bar shutting it seems like a real shame, the people in there were always dead sound when i went in and it did have some of the best nights in sheffield there, with wicked underground music. it will be missed for sure cos whats the alternative to places like that? not much really.

peas out - chris

Anyone know who owns the building sharkey's occupied?

Telephone number would be great :D

More like all the 'high earners' would prefer to stay home because of the lack of classy bars.

Although Sheffield is getting better with bars like boho, runaway girl etc.

Or the high earners head for the trains.

Anyone know if the afforemention rumours of it re-opening are going anywhere? Just that there's a work colleague of mine has (sorry HAD) her daughters 21st booked for the end of this month and is obviously in a bit of a pickle now. Failing that, anyone know of anywhere that can hire out a room for Sat 25th Feb? :help:

real shame - used to dj @ bass bar every once in a while

great people and great rum cocktails

i will miss it