Mother-in-law's charming experience outside the Spar on Abbey Lane.

We invited my 74 year old mum-in-law for sunday dinner yesterday. Before arriving she stopped at the Spar on Abbey Lane for some milk and a paper, when leaving the shop she noticed a small red car parked directly outside, the passanger window came down and the passanger, a 'man' proceeded to dump handfuls of rubbish, paper, wrapppers, food cartons and 2 empty plastic milk containers onto the pavement, despite there being a rubbish bin yards away. When she pointed this out to the 'man' he suggested she "put the f*****g rubbish in the f*****g bin herself" and to "mind her own f*****g business", the 'lady' driving the car then sped off. I hope they were'nt driving too fast or erratically to compromise their safety or wellbeing.

Good on her for speaking up. Unfortunately, that's the kind of response you're always going to get from scumbags that would do that sort of thing.

The real point is that a significant fraction of the British population are bone idle, filthy, selfish slobs who expect someone else to clear up after them.

So why are we surprised when they act like it?

The sheer rudeness doesn't even surprise me any more. I fear the problem is going to get worse because lots of children aren't taught to be polite or take their litter home. Perhaps manners and generally decent standards of behaviour should be included in school lessons. :o

Although parts of Sheffield appear dirty and unkempt I was pleasantly surprised when we went to Endcliffe park the other Sunday. It was so clean and appeared litter free. Is there a large group of 'friends' of Endcliffe park who look after it?

We were chatting with a friend outside the Spar last year when a guy who'd just purchased a bottle of wine dropped it in the road as he got back into his car. He got in his car and drove off as though nothing had happened, leaving big jagged pieces of glass for the next person to drive through, or worse, step onto when leaving their car - I couldn't believe he didn't make any attempt to pick it up . I ended up borrowing the shop's dustpan & brush to sweep it up and put it in to the bin !

Thanks for the sentiments, she's a hardy old stick! I must say that your post slightly unsettled me, "MIL" being one letter short of 'MILF'!

Oops sorry, not my intention I always abbreviate it to MIL, at least she's okay, I've not long since found out myself what MILF stood for (last 2 years).

I know what you mean. You know when people come back from holiday and all they can say is "it was lovely, very clean", I always thought "Is that all you can say"? Last time I was in Oz I was really struck by how clean everything was though! They have public bbq areas in the parks, anyone can use them, and they're spotless. Public loos in remote beauty spots - spotless (equipped with bog roll!!!!!!). Can you imagine that here?

I lived in Oz for thirty years and yes, it is a relatively clean environment. Maybe that's why I notice the appalling state of our streets. There was littering in Oz and dumping of rubbish in some places but certainly not to the same degree as here. We had a yearly campaign in Oz called Clean Up Australia Day. Volunteers backed by local councils go out and clean up streets, creek beds and rivers. It's a tremendous success and a great family day out doing something for the whole community. But, I fear if it was suggested here there would be those who would say. I'm not picking up someone elses' rubbish. Fair comment, but doesn't that make us all as bad as those who threw it down ?

I and my husband do pick rubbish up as we walk in parks, Derbyshire and the streets, it makes me feel as though I'm not just complaining.

---------- Post added 05-03-2013 at 23:59 ----------

We were chatting with a friend outside the Spar last year when a guy who'd just purchased a bottle of wine dropped it in the road as he got back into his car. He got in his car and drove off as though nothing had happened, leaving big jagged pieces of glass for the next person to drive through, or worse, step onto when leaving their car - I couldn't believe he didn't make any attempt to pick it up . I ended up borrowing the shop's dustpan & brush to sweep it up and put it in to the bin !

Good on ya mate !

People who do this should be shot!

As appalling as indiscriminate littering is did you apply any disciplined thought to the above quote at all?

I surprised no one has commented yet blaming the council and the fortnightly bins service :o)

Of course, it's the Big Bad Council's fault for not following people around with bins!

lol how funny, directly below the last post on this thread is an advert for lowest price wheelie bins on the web............classic

We invited my 74 year old mum-in-law for sunday dinner yesterday. Before arriving she stopped at the Spar on Abbey Lane for some milk and a paper, when leaving the shop she noticed a small red car parked directly outside, the passanger window came down and the passanger, a 'man' proceeded to dump handfuls of rubbish, paper, wrapppers, food cartons and 2 empty plastic milk containers onto the pavement, despite there being a rubbish bin yards away. When she pointed this out to the 'man' he suggested she "put the f*****g rubbish in the f*****g bin herself" and to "mind her own f*****g business", the 'lady' driving the car then sped off. I hope they were'nt driving too fast or erratically to compromise their safety or wellbeing.

I know it doesn't help in any way but ithis might put a smile on your face:

Allow me to relate an amusing tale from last year in Looe. While crabbing with my nephew and niece, I observed a tourist sitting on the quayside collecting his broods post lunch refuse, pasty papers, plastic bottles, etc. I was just thinking what a good example he was setting when he turned and threw the lot in the river....stunned for a moment, I was beaten to the post by an elderly gent who asked him what he thought he was playing at and pointed out the bin 15 feet away! The poor old soul received a mouthful of abuse a docker would have blushed at. A lad on the bench next to me told him he was out of order and at this point I stood up to add weight to his point (brave huh...ahem...:blush:) The bloke went absolutely barmy! bouncing round with clenched fists and trying to decide who to punch first.:rant: He was literally screaming abuse and to be honest I was wondering whether trading blows was really such a good idea over some litter. His wife and kids meanwhile, seemed quite unperturbed by all this (probably seen it a thousand times before)

At this point, enter bloke the size of a small grizzly bear, sporting large beard and bike leathers who proceeded to give litter boy an almighty grab/push from behind propelling said litterista 6 feet down into the Looe river (tide was in unfortunately).

Scary bike lad then shouted down in the broadest Sheffield accent you've ever heard "and pick thee rubbish up on't way aht....gob****e!"

I'd like to say we broke into spontaneous applause but fraid not. I managed a feeble "nice one", Biker went his merry way and gobby litter lad took a surprisingly sheepish exit up the steps (sans rubbish I'm afraid) collected his brood and went off in the opposite direction dripping.

I can honestly say I've never been more proud to be a Sheffielder

If scary GSX1100 rider is reading this. You're my hero! :clap:

I know it doesn't help in any way but ithis might put a smile on your face:

Allow me to relate an amusing tale from last year in Looe. While crabbing with my nephew and niece, I observed a tourist sitting on the quayside collecting his broods post lunch refuse, pasty papers, plastic bottles, etc. I was just thinking what a good example he was setting when he turned and threw the lot in the river....stunned for a moment, I was beaten to the post by an elderly gent who asked him what he thought he was playing at and pointed out the bin 15 feet away! The poor old soul received a mouthful of abuse a docker would have blushed at. A lad on the bench next to me told him he was out of order and at this point I stood up to add weight to his point (brave huh...ahem...:blush:) The bloke went absolutely barmy! bouncing round with clenched fists and trying to decide who to punch first.:rant: He was literally screaming abuse and to be honest I was wondering whether trading blows was really such a good idea over some litter. His wife and kids meanwhile, seemed quite unperturbed by all this (probably seen it a thousand times before)

At this point, enter bloke the size of a small grizzly bear, sporting large beard and bike leathers who proceeded to give litter boy an almighty grab/push from behind propelling said litterista 6 feet down into the Looe river (tide was in unfortunately).

Scary bike lad then shouted down in the broadest Sheffield accent you've ever heard "and pick thee rubbish up on't way aht....gob****e!"

I'd like to say we broke into spontaneous applause but fraid not. I managed a feeble "nice one", Biker went his merry way and gobby litter lad took a surprisingly sheepish exit up the steps (sans rubbish I'm afraid) collected his brood and went off in the opposite direction dripping.

I can honestly say I've never been more proud to be a Sheffielder

If scary GSX1100 rider is reading this. You're my hero! :clap:

lol i love it.....justice !

The sheer rudeness doesn't even surprise me any more. I fear the problem is going to get worse because lots of children aren't taught to be polite or take their litter home. Perhaps manners and generally decent standards of behaviour should be included in school lessons. :o

Although parts of Sheffield appear dirty and unkempt I was pleasantly surprised when we went to Endcliffe park the other Sunday. It was so clean and appeared litter free. Is there a large group of 'friends' of Endcliffe park who look after it?

Endcliffe Park litter free:)...mmm, interesting, lot of / mainly private housing on that side isn't there?... might be a correlation there?

Non of this a surprise at all, is it... expect there always has been, down through time and on-going today, a (minority?) strata of society that are selfish, ignorant s****.:|

---------- Post added 05-03-2013 at 20:02 ----------

Great... indeed justice yes! respect to 'scary GSX1100 rider' :)