Taxi drivers operating vehicles licensed elsewhere?

From personal experience I don't think Sheffield City Council and its licensing authorities have any control whatsoever over the whole taxi set up in Sheffield, the private hire trade just do as they please. You've only got to go out on a Saturday night to see private hire vehicles plying for trade. Last Christmas I was approached by 3 different private hire vehicles whilst waiting to hail a Hackney.

From personal experience I don't think Sheffield City Council and its licensing authorities have any control whatsoever over the whole taxi set up in Sheffield, the private hire trade just do as they please. You've only got to go out on a Saturday night to see private hire vehicles plying for trade. Last Christmas I was approached by 3 different private hire vehicles whilst waiting to hail a Hackney.

You should have taken note of the taxi plate and reported it to the council. Until people make official reports on such occurrences they cannot do anything based on 'hearsay'

network taxis are actively encouraging the out of town taxis to join its fleet. they have around 15 hackneys already. its about profits not about quality of service. expect to be charged more as its unlikely any of these out of town guys even know the routes and will be relying solely on sat-nav. when you call for a taxi tell them you want a n.e taxi only or ring mercury dronfield instead.

as usual with 'taxi' threads on SF there's the usual lack of clarity

Private hire vehicles can't ply for hire (and anyone doing so regardless of the LA they registered with and the LA area in which they are caught plying - will get their badge and plate pulled).

The case law has established that a PHV journey can be booked to start and finish anywhere and it's not restricted by local authorities.

Enforcement action is down to LAs with regard to PHVs plying etc.