E petition to halt the closure of Don Valley Stadium

This has got to be a wind up.Don't encourage them.

I assume that they run at a "profit"because of the subsidy they receive ,which is now being withdrawn.

I don't know how much of their remaining portfolio of leisure centres ,golf courses,arenas run at a true profit.Certainly not all of them because we are told that Stocksbridge gets the axe because it is the most heavily subsidised of the sports centres.

So in due course might we expect further closures because we cannot subsidise amenities.

How much did SIV get from SCC previously before the cuts? How much do they get now per annum?

as I said earlier, this is the start of a cycle of cuts, hillsborough leisure centre apparently runs at a loss also, so along with Stox I imagine that it will go as part of the cost cutting. Interestingly the cost to flatten dvs is supposedly £3.5m, can anyone confirm this? (it was on another forum!) if this is true its a strange money saving scheme!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Someone started a thread earlier saying DVS is to become a new huge mosque

To the guy who posted it, source??

Really hope it isn't true.

Well if they can make a profit from it ....why not?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Since when was it a council's job to own and operate an athletics stadium? Libraries, yes, respite care for disabled children, yes, parks and gardens, yes.....international athletics stadium...no.

Edited by taxman

It,s a shame that the DVS has to close,yet another blow to our once fine city! I thought we were the "city of sport" well apparantley not anymore:mad:

After the 2012 London games we were told about the Olympic legacy and how important it is for our nation to produce world class athletes ...

Sheffield is so far behind all the other major cities and what with Leeds having a a new major shopping centre opening plus a state of the art music venue-Im afraid things could get even worse!!

It,s a shame that the DVS has to close,yet another blow to our once fine city! I thought we were the "city of sport" well apparantley not anymore:mad:

After the 2012 London games we were told about the Olympic legacy and how important it is for our nation to produce world class athletes ...

Sheffield is so far behind all the other major cities and what with Leeds having a a new major shopping centre opening plus a state of the art music venue-Im afraid things could get even worse!!

Why does ONE venue closing out of over a dozen venues mean we lose out "city of sport" staus.

Its ONE venue. ONE under used, tired looking, expensive to maintain venue.

There are others left as I have said earlier and plenty of other publicly funded venues which still get plenty if not more use than DVS.

If there is such a demand by all these keyboard petitioners to save it.. where is everyone??. Why are we not queueing at the doors every day waiting to use it. Where is the rosta of sell out athletics events each and every week?

Money is tight and we have to face facts here. As someone else has pointed out earlier there are far bigger priorities with real demand.

Example... learning disability short respite care has been cut so severely that there are just 6 .... yes 6 beds to serve the entire city!! That's what I want to see money being spent on. Not a empty sports stadium.

Ive just looked at the accounts of SIV online and they have assets of £22 million and liabilities of £26million.

What is SIV (Sheffield Intl Venues)? Brian Lodge on Toby Foster this morning, said it was an independent company. However, ive always been told that it is wholly owned by Sheffield Council. Now SCC have to sign off the books, as they said as thus on the radio this morning....so what on earth is the relationship???

Added to this, if you look at http://www.stocksbridge.com the local UKIP councillor is allegding that losses from Sheftival last year are possibly being shafted onto the accounts of the Stocksbridge Leisure Centre.

This is sounding very very mysterious....

I thought we were the "city of sport" well apparantley not anymore:mad:

I bet Le*ds nick that title now, they will be rubbing their hands with delight over this news :mad:

Petitions take seconds and prove very little - unless they get hundreds of thousands of signatures. What we've always needed has been regular users paying lots of cash at the venue.

Too few support the few events that are held. Apart from Rotherham FC and Eagles there's been nothing regular, and even that's come to an end. Organising occasional events takes more effort and less financial certainty of success.

However, supporting any event is better than nothing. From now on everything needs extra publicity, and the supporters of DVS must see they're filling the stadium every time. Vote by using it when we can.

On Sunday May 12th we all have the opportunity to run on the track, starting and finishing the Sheffield Half-Marathon. I've signed up.

So far there are 3500 entrants for the full event. Do more than vote here, get involved and enter at; http://www.sheffieldmarathon.com/enter/how/

If you're not up to running, get on down to support those of us who are. But there's still room for 6,000 more runners - and there's the Fun Run for children. See; http://www.sheffieldmarathon.com/

Let's ensure this event goes out strongly, whether it's the last or not. 10,000 running for Don Valley would make a real statement. Anything less means the closure camp is right.

If we all did a bit more to support the place with the few events that are on, we wouldn't be in this position. Make this event a HUGE success to show those who make decisions it's more than talk, it's REAL support.

And the same goes for everything else that's available to support at DVS. Actions speak louder than words. Get running...... it may be your last chance to get on that track. The Sheffield Half-Marathon wouldn't be such an event starting from Woodbourn Road!

The SIV website gives details of the facilities they're responsible for:

http://www.sivltd.com/

I actually thought SIV were set up as a seperate self financing company, I didn't realise they received subsidies from the Council.

Steve Brailey has been in charge of SIV for years, I've emailed him in the past with regards to the Sheffield Steelers and the arena.

I always assumed that money made from the Sheffield Arena helped to subsidise most of the other venues in SIV's portfolio which probably lost money (Swimming Baths are known to generally lose money).

I've been a regular at Sheffield Arena since 1992 and it's been clear that very little investment has been made over the years, with the place becoming very tatty inside, depsite the venue being popular and making a profit.

I always assumed the reason for profits not being invested back into the arena was due to the money being used to subsidise the other venues in SIV's portfolio.

With Leeds Arena now likely to provide stiff competition to Sheffield Arena, it's been announced that SIV are going to spend millions improving Sheffield Arena including a new roof, lighting, plexi glass etc.

Could it be that this investment in the Sheffield Arena is partly the reason for closures elsewhere (Stocksbridge and DVS)?

Regards

Doom