Youtube adverts

The Forum relies on advertisements for revenue to fund day-to-day running costs.

the ads i saw here first off were the annoying full screen ones and it put me off the site.

Since blocking ads its awesome, in fact the whole of the internet is so much better.

I would gladly send the sites i use regularly a couple of quid than being bombarded with adverts...

---------- Post added 05-03-2013 at 22:04 ----------

bgxor4.jpg

Doesnt that look much better?

Edited by Trubster

the ads i saw here first off were the annoying full screen ones and it put me off the site.

Since blocking ads its awesome, in fact the whole of the internet is so much better.

I would gladly send the sites i use regularly a couple of quid than being bombarded with adverts...

The large ads are not visible to members who are logged in to SF

I have adBlocker but allow the non-intrusive ads on SF

I dont think SF gets paid for displaying ads, they will be paid per click?

I never click on ads so ad block makes no difference?

Edited by Trubster
that really sucks, they censor Ad Block in one word

i hate these adverts can bee aright pain

I used to block adverts year ago but since my PC can so easily handle them now its just polite to keep them. You also have to consider that by blocking them you may be accessing the site illegally.

People forget that breaking the terms and conditions for using a website is technically a breach of the computer misuse act, as you become an unauthorised user the instant you breach the terms. The fact that a computer is sat on the public Internet does not give you rights to do whatever you want with those machines, you still have to abide by the rules.

However, I do have flash block installed though as some sites are REALLY aggressive and crash the browser. Any decent advertiser will detect flash is disabled and serve an image replacement, although I generally put the sites I visit regularly into the white list.

On YouTube its even more relevant, as some of the posters on YouTube make videos on there as a full time job. YouTube pay them for getting advert views so blocking the adverts on there you could very well cause your favourite vlogger/reviewer to stop posting.

However one thing that REALLY makes me angry, video trailers that autoplay when I am looking at something completely different. I did not give them permission to use that much bandwidth and I do not agree that adverts should make noise unless I am expecting it (ie a trailer/advert before a video).

adverts anoy most of us but the fact is hosting and running a web site is not free

would you rather almost every website ask.s or makes you pay a small fee to view it

For a while it was looking like many sites were going down that route (eg Gamespot used to have HD videos for paid subscribers only).

Fortunately thanks to advertising they had competition that forced them into opening up and I'm not sure they even have paid subscriptions anymore.

Fact is, most of the sites we visit on a daily basis would no longer exist without advertising revenue.

People forget that breaking the terms and conditions for using a website is technically a breach of the computer misuse act, as you become an unauthorised user the instant you breach the terms. The fact that a computer is sat on the public Internet does not give you rights to do whatever you want with those machines, you still have to abide by the rules..

REALLY??? would you like to back up your claim?

Does that mean that making a cuppa in the ad breaks (TV) or fast forwarding ads on sky+ would also be illegal?

Dont talk daft

Also - I cant find anything about blocking adverts here - http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/misc.php?do=page&template=Terms

REALLY??? would you like to back up your claim?

It's not genearlly illegal, but individual sites may have something in the terms stating that if you block ads, you cannot use the site, or by using the site you agree to be served advertisements...

Does that mean that making a cuppa in the ad breaks (TV) or fast forwarding ads on sky+ would also be illegal?

it's not illegal, but not preferred, why do you think the volume is louder when the adverts are on between TV shows...

Accessing computers is a different thing entirely.

If you do not follow the rules for accessing someone elses computer, you are breaking the law, period.

Now I doubt anyone would bother prosecuting as you wouldn't have lost enough money from any individual person to make it worthwhile. Just because something isn't worth prosecuting, doesn't mean you weren't breaking the law, or that its the right thing to do.

Accessing an advert funded website with the adverts blocked is fraud, plain and simple. You are costing the website host money without paying your fair share of the bill.