Packing material for moving?

I'm moving soon and am worried about things breaking on the move. I know obviously I'll need boxes and bubble wrap for small items does anyone know where to get these free or cheap?

What about large items a have a very large bulky tv which I'm worried about packing as I can't even lift it myself but I know it will need protecting!

Any suggestions please?

Scrunched up newspaper is good at absorbing shocks. You can shred it to use as packing if you have time or the will. I have always packed most of my posessions in boxes but left removals men to movethe boxes, move and protect furniture. They should come and view the house and give you a rough time and price to do the move.

I would advise using a good removal company. They aren't that expensive (unless moving a long distance) and they are insured for any damage in transit.

Look on Freegle/Freecycle or at the supermarket for boxes or wrapping. Ask family and friends to save them for you.

We had loads of laminate floor underlay left over so wrapped the fragile stuff in that.

It isn't perfect but is well cushioned and cheap to buy.

Try Big Yellow or Armadillo,not the cheapest but good quality,cheers Dave

You can get loads of bubble wrap, flow pack and boxes on Freecycle and Freegle, just doing the rounds again and again between people moving house until they fall apart.

With a lot of possessions to shift in our move last week - and memories of weak boxes spilling loads of books everywhere in the past - I ended up buying lots of boxes, from a few different places.

• Staples: Poor quality, the handles tended to tear when lifted and the boxes at the bottom of a stack ended up collapsing.
  • Ryman: Average quality, better than the staples boxes but still not great.
  • Big Yellow: Really good. Double-walled design made them strong enough to cope easily with being filled with heavy stuff (e.g. books), and stack up to ceiling height without crushing.

The archive boxes from Big Yellow weren't cheap, but there are two ways to save money on them: buy them in the 20-box multi pack, and also get a 25% discount code by getting a storage quote from their website.

Edited by vincentb
removing accidental duplicate

Check your local grocery shops and drug stores. They usually have plenty of boxes left over from goods. Be aware however not all boxes are equally strong. That's why you should pack your breakables such as dishes and glasses in a really strong box. It might be best if you actually order a special double layered box online just to make sure no harm will come to your breakables. The same goes for you large TV set. I suppose you don't have the original box you bought it in.

Make sure you buy quality tape packing tape or carton sealing tape. Other types of tapes just fall off and are unreliable.

I know people used to go to McDonald's and ask for free boxes as they go through lots of them.