Pet friendly properties/letting agents?

I'm a landlord and haven't really considered pets. My rental property has oak flooring downstairs, so although easy to clean, it's perhaps not suitable for dogs to walk on. Then upstairs is carpeted - I guess the most difficult thing would be the inevitable smell and mess. I guess if a contract could be worded that the house & carpets were professionally cleaned and any damage was put right at the departing tenants cost then that would probably give a landlord security that their property would be in right condition for next tenant.

I'm going to view a place on Monday that will allow pets. It has been quite a struggle but hopefully the wait will be worth all the hassle!

To anyone still looking, the house I'm moving out of accepts pets, although the landlord is hard work!

Hi we have a 2 bed property with nice gardens will be ready soon just finishing renovating. We would consider a dog . House is in s6 near grenoside. Pm me if interested cheers.

For me it is the conflict when moving out. It is ok to say tenants will pay but when it comes to actually moving out but when money is tight and human selfishness kicks in. As for well behaved dogs I had a dog that was well behaved, no doubt about that. he did have his favourite spot to lie down on though and left his oil stains out of his hair. Quite a job to remove. Also he barked his head off twice a day during the week. 5.30am in the morning when the milkman came and we all heard him and so did the neighbours. Then mid morning when the postie came. next door was on shifts and they politely mentioned it but there was not a lot we could do but we didn't actually care either.

Then there was when I had to work away. Wifey couldn't handle him on a walk so it was the back yard and the dog muck that went with it. I had to clean that up on my return as she didn't have the stomach for it.

we did have neighbours for 6 years who had their dog on the back for all day and only let it in at night. They never cleaned up its mess and if the wind came from the North we got the smell. That dog barked its head off at the slightest sound and the neighbours simply didn't care.

So we can have a well behaved dog but they cause noise and smell for the neighbours and I need to care for my neighbours as they keep an eye on my tenants for me.

Some of the threads on this forum beggar belief. We've got the work shy complaining that they have to stand in line for ages at the job centre to get FREE MONEY because for WHATEVER reason they've failed to provide for themselves. Now this thread where people are complaining about not being allowed to have pets to ensure they can't cause a noise nuisance and damage to a property worth tens of thousands of pounds they DON'T OWN because for WHATEVER reason they have failed to provide a home for themselves. The sob stories and reasons WHY you have failed in these areas are IRRELEVANT when you start to complain and bite the hand that feeds.

If you don't want to stand in line for ages at the job centre to get your FREE MONEY, get a job or get off your backside and go wash some cars, paint fences, handyman, garden tidying. If you want to have pets that will run riot, cause property damage and be a nuisance to others, buy your own home, preferably detached somewhere.

I have rented in the past and had a dog, the landlady was really relaxed thankfully. She organised it all privately and there were no admin fees like the ridiculous charges from estate agents these days, Go provate i would say usually speaking with the owners directly is so much better and they can see that even if you have an animal you will keep their property in tip top condition.

Some of the threads on this forum beggar belief. We've got the work shy complaining that they have to stand in line for ages at the job centre to get FREE MONEY because for WHATEVER reason they've failed to provide for themselves. Now this thread where people are complaining about not being allowed to have pets to ensure they can't cause a noise nuisance and damage to a property worth tens of thousands of pounds they DON'T OWN because for WHATEVER reason they have failed to provide a home for themselves. The sob stories and reasons WHY you have failed in these areas are IRRELEVANT when you start to complain and bite the hand that feeds.

If you don't want to stand in line for ages at the job centre to get your FREE MONEY, get a job or get off your backside and go wash some cars, paint fences, handyman, garden tidying. If you want to have pets that will run riot, cause property damage and be a nuisance to others, buy your own home, preferably detached somewhere.

100% agree with you.

I am currently applying to rent a property and I quite honestly did not realise how difficult it is. I have only been self employed for 7 months so do not have the proof of income to get a mortgage myself (ironic as a financial advisor :)) I am now finding that it is just as difficult to try and rent.

Having to pay a massive bond up front and a months rent and then being told I need to have a guarantor, the whole point of renting was to avoid all this hassle.

To add balance to the argument I am also a landlord and I have allowed my tenants to keep a small dog and a cat. They know the property needs to be put back to how it was when they leave and I am happy with that. Your post comes across as highly snobbish as though in someway home owners are better than tenants well not everyones circumstances enable them to buy property through no fault of their own. Plus if there where no tenants they'd be no landlords :loopy:

If you own a property then you are free to do as you like with it.

If you are a tenant, then you have to abide by the T&C as per the Tenancy Agreement.

There's nothing snobbish at all about having restrictions, such as no smokers, no pets etc.

If you own a property then you are free to do as you like with it.

If you are a tenant, then you have to abide by the T&C as per the Tenancy Agreement.

There's nothing snobbish at all about having restrictions, such as no smokers, no pets etc.

I agree entirely especially as a landlord, but I am seeing now what it is like from the other perspective.

It was this part I found snobbish:

because for WHATEVER reason they have failed to provide a home for themselves. The sob stories and reasons WHY you have failed in these areas are IRRELEVANT when you start to complain and bite the hand that feeds.

Doesn't personally bother me I own my own house and have the income to own another one it's proving it that's the issue. I just find the attitude snobbish.