Headlice a big problem

Apparently, they like the hair as clean as possible, they don't cling as well to dirty or greasy hair (hence why treatments are oily, enabling you to comb them out)

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Put some Jasmine hair oil on their hair, my mum used to when we were younger and we didn't get any nits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah-Lacie

Apparently, they like the hair as clean as possible, they don't cling as well to dirty or greasy hair (hence why treatments are oily, enabling you to comb them out)

Put some Jasmine hair oil on their hair, my mum used to when we were younger and we didn't get any nits.

My daughters old school recommended putting olive oil on the hair once a day... I didn't fancy that myself, would be a pain to wash out. I remember as a kid once pouring baby oil on my hair, and my God it was a mess for days :hihi:

Luckily, the school my daughters at now doesn't seem to have any issues at all with head lice, my younger child brought them home from a party I think!

(Touch wood)

My daughter has not caught headlice from school yet, she bought a letter home yesterday which informed us someone in her class has them. I got the comb and conditioner straight out, she was clean. I always check my kids hairs , better that then sharing them round family. lol

Get a Neem/Tea tree oil based shampoo and conditioner. It stops the reproductive cycle of the lice using natural ingredients. The oils are also a deterrent to them. You can use the conditioner with a lice comb to get the lice out.

We had big problems with our boys and girls repeatedly coming home from school having picked them up. Using the neem based products brought it control and we never had any issues since. You have to keep using the neem products long-term though.

Some of the products can be pricey but then we discovered this which works just as well as the expensive ones:

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/dr-johnsons-repellent-head-lice-shampoo_1_12176.html

Home Bargains sometimes have it in for about two quid

sorry to have to say this but if nits are reoccurring you should strip the bedding off and wash after each treatment and even scrub around the seams of the mattress because the nits and lice can hang around

HEDRIN - bit dear, GPs will prescribe it - wipes the little swines out.

my daughter comes home from school every week with headlice, this is really annoying im treating my daughter with the headlice treatment every week without fail, and each week im treating her shes coming back with them, we have contacted the school informing them of the problem they have sent numerous letters out to parents asking them to treat there children if nessacary, but this seems to be a ongoing big problem so some children arent getting treatment that they need to get rid of the headlice its so frustrating as a mother that treats the headlice on a weekly basis and then the it starts all over again anyone have this problem its really annoying

Have you thought about changing what you treat them with? I had this problem & when I changed the product I used we finally got rid of them. In between the treatments I recommend tea tree shampoo & conditioner. You can get it from Holland and Barrett, bit pricey but the cheaper version you get from Boots never seems to have much tea tree in it!

I have to say that far from the idea that "they can't live if they're not actually on heads" we once had some that lasted over a week in one of those bug catching pots with a magnifying glass on the top so I'd recommend washing towels & pillow cases too!

And brushes & combs too! In fact I pour a bit of boiling water over the brushes and combs. Make sure they don't melt!

Edited by irenewilde

Have you thought about changing what you treat them with? I had this problem & when I changed the product I used we finally got rid of them. In between the treatments I recommend tea tree shampoo & conditioner. You can get it from Holland and Barrett, bit pricey but the cheaper version you get from Boots never seems to have much tea tree in it!

I have to say that far from the idea that "they can't live if they're not actually on heads" we once had some that lasted over a week in one of those bug catching pots with a magnifying glass on the top so I'd recommend washing towels & pillow cases too!

Yes, I think they're quite hardy wee buggers Irene. My daughter was plagued with them for what seemed like years even if it was only months. I used to get a great deal of satisfaction in cracking the big ones between my fingernails - and it takes some doing.

Yup I had the same problem with my daughter, because some folk seem to think that headlice don't matter, so they don't bother getting rid of them. Week after week we were doing the hedrin treatment - the teachers even said themselves that there are kids in the class crawling with lice but the parents just aren't bothered, and the most they can do is send letters home.

I now make sure my daughters hair is tied up really well, and we use tea-tree and neem shampoo that's meant to repel them. Seems to be working so far as I've not seen any in over 2 months. They drove me mad - I'm itching just thinking about them!

One of my daughters friends told me she has headlice as pets, and she seemed quite proud of it.

Yup I had the same problem with my daughter, because some folk seem to think that headlice don't matter, so they don't bother getting rid of them.

Or they're off down the "anything with chemicals is carciogenic and bad for our little darlings" and try to get rid of headlice by waving flowers at them or holding a rotating crystal over their childs head ;)!

When my kids' primary school suffered recurrent outbreaks of them, it turned out that it was someone's grandmother who was constantly re-infecting her grandchild (who passed them on at school). The old lady had had them for so long she didn't even itch any more.

I had the same problem with my daughter, we have been battling them for years, to the piont where I would cry when i found them again, I spent 100s of pounds on lotions and potions and the only thing that every worked for us was the nitty gritty lice comb and full marks solution, everything over the counter was useless. I know people say use conditioner but I can no stand the thought of not killing them all right away.

I think we only ever went through holidays without them, and no sooner was she back at school she had them within days. The most annoying part is I was always honest and would inform school, and I was one of the parents who did something about it as soon as i knew she had them again, when some dont even bother and let thier kids crawl in them.

I once didnt check her hair for a few weeks, as I was so busy with uni and didnt see her scratching, she washes and brushes her own hair, so assumed she was ok, but when i did look she was covered in them, I cried and felt so ashamed but now I realise if their mums were as bothered as us them we could at least get a relief from it all. I complained to the school time and time again and nothing was done. I mean I felt guilty for missing her hair for a few weeks? I should not have had to feel that way if it was under control with every child. Her hair is darkish so very hard to find them unless you really dig deep and look.

Funny enough we recently moved to a new house and new school and I made sure she was 100% clear the weekend before she started the new school, and we have not one since. Even though i hoovered her mattress and changed all bedding and even soft toys were bagged up for 7 days each time, to let any die, then washed before her being allowed them back, she still got them.

When we moved she got a new bed, mattress, covers, and we threw away a lot of soft toys, so I can only assume we either never fully got rid of them from the old house or I was right about the school and parents there not being bothered.

Not every can move house or school, so all i can suggest is if you can bag anything soft where they can survive on, dont just wash them right away as I have read the lice have gills on their sides that they close when in contact with water, bag them up for 7 days in bin bags before washing them. Or throw away and buy new, that in the end was the only thing I could be sure of in the end, and for now it looks like we are free of the dreaded weekly 5 year battle, and the new school seem to have parents that actually care and not one letter has gone home since they started 6 weeks ago, the old school sent them out all the time.

In really feel for you, I really do, but nitty gritty is the best way to go, its even gets all the eggs out xxx

ooh and dont forget, every soft furnishing, even the sofa and cusions, coats, scarves etc

---------- Post added 06-03-2013 at 23:32 ----------

The electric nit combs are quite good.

Don't forget blow-drying hair is very effective at killing nits.

So if your daughter is coming home with them every day, just blow dry her hair after a bath/shower and comb through with a nit comb.

This may sound bad, but at one piont I even got so desperate that after using the lotions and used to blowdry and use straighteners on the her hair, in the hope it would sizzle any of the ones left.

---------- Post added 06-03-2013 at 23:35 ----------

You can get Lice Treatment on prescription or, under the Minor Ailments Scheme, direct from the Pharmacists.

Free for children.

Yeah and it almost never works, they give you hedrin and its useless, much better in my eyes to spend a few quid and buy the good stuff, I stopped bothering with the free stuff as next morning I would always find some still alive, plus they only give you over night ones/ 8 hours, so not very good when your having to get them up before school a few hours early to nit pick and wash to get the oily stuff out, I only use the 10 min lotions now, they must be much stronger and seem to work:) and they are done before bed and tucked up nice and early

Edited by lubylou12