Has anyone had a letter yet telling them their Benefit cut from April?

I do not understand why people insist on calling this a bedroom tax.

Probably because they support the Labour Party and/or are on benefits but occupy overly-large accommodation.

i was quoting an example of how this would not work in this case, as it would not free up a place for a family,

---------- Post added 06-03-2013 at 09:48 ----------

read in the sunday paper that you could charge a lodger 100 pounds a week and still claim you full benefit under the universal credit that is coming in

the article was in the sunday express

probably a good idea for those in london but i doubt anyone would lodge with someone on a northern council estate. hey thats a thought i wonder if anyone on here is in that position?

I do not understand why people insist on calling this a bedroom tax. The government are absolutely right in capping and hopefully reducing benefits.

Because nicknames stick, it's easier than calling it by it's official name, and even MPs arguing in parliament are calling it that now:

BBC news PMQs: Cameron on banking bonuses and 'bedroom tax' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21686068

I do not understand why people insist on calling this a bedroom tax. The government are absolutely right in capping and hopefully reducing benefits.

How will it reduce benefits? that's what the government want you to believe, it will force people into the private sector which costs more to rent, hence higher benefit bill.

The bedroom tax will largely affect working families as they will often rely on housing benefit.

Yes but if they are living in a house that they need they will be fine it's only the people who think they should have a spare room, study, games room etc that will loose out!

When you book a double hotel room that sleeps 2 people you don't get it any cheaper if there's only one person! Unless you book a single room! Makes sense really.

And people keep saying it will force people into private rent bit There's a benefit cap on that isn't there?! X

I received my letter from Rotherham Council this morning. Having a spare bedroom means i have to pay 14% which works out at approximately £10.60 per week. On 1st April Council Tax will be abolished by the Government and no longer exist, it will then be called the Council Tax Reduction Scheme with 2 major differences. Firstly, the maximum Council Tax Reduction a working age claimant will weceive will be 91.5%. This means all working age claimants will have to pay a minimum of 8.5% of their Council Tax bill. Also, Second Adult Rebate is abolished for working age claimants. I've typed this off the letter iv been sent more or less word for word. All in all we're being stung AGAIN!

You appear to know a lot about this subject.

I wonder if anyone has any idea how people like me have to exist?

My Husband and I get just over £200 a week pension, including earning related pension. Meaning we have worked EVERY DAY from the day we left school at 15that is FIFTY years, to receive this. We married at 20 and struggled, and I mean struggled from age 30 to buy a house to give the two children we could afford, stability. We have not had a holiday in thirty years. Except to visit family in Dorset for one week a year, and have a day out sometimes at some stately home or other to give them an insight into their history. We've talked and played games with our kids all their lives. We couldn't afford for our children to go to University despite them being bright, but fortunately they both inherited our work ethic and got jobs where they are useful members of this society.

One of them is struggling to buy his own house and the other can't afford to because they are on a low wage, so is in council property.

We have to pay - FULL council and water rates, full gas and electricity, dentist and glasses, all renovations or repairs to our property, house insurance, and personal insurance for our funerals, whilst also putting a very small amount aside to help the children if they need it. We have a small 32 inch TV with Virgin broadband and an old computer.. we can't afford Sky. My Husband who smokes has had to resort to a few roll ups a day, and we never ever go out, except to friends and family... our lives revolve around our children, family, and one grandson. Despite being infirm, we keep our garden in an immaculate condition so as not to bring the cost of our neighbours homes down, and live quietly and peacfully with everyone.

I am not complaining or making any apology to anyone for where we find ourself, but really object to those in SOCIAL HOUSING who complain because they may have to pay extra for rooms that they do not actually need. As someone said previously Social Housing is not a right, although I do agree it is a necessity, and this should be remembered.

If you don't need the rooms, then go into the swap shop and exchange with someone who actually does need them, or take in a lodger. There are thousands of families on the housing list, desperate for rooms, living in cramped spaces.

When I was a kid, we had to live with my Granny, who also rented another room to a family with two other small kids under five. There was no other alternative. We all got along fine, and actually I'm still friends with the kids. They used to 'rent' a washer on a Monday. We had NO food, shoes or clothes to speak of, except hand me downs. I remember distinctly going to Church Jumble sales with Gran and buying woolen jumpers which she took apart and washed then wound them up and knitted them up again as cardis for me and my cousins, and made mens suits into business suits for my Auntie who worked in an office.. One thing she and my Mum were fierce about was being clean and tidy. The pegged carpet which was on top of lino was rough and threadbare in places, but clean. Our steps shone and were lined white. We had ONE coal fire which we all sat around... no central heating. Our fronts were always toasty warm but our backs freezing. No one ever sat around in a vest? My Grandad on my Mum;s side always wore a suit and tie. We had no TV, just a radio. I learned everything about classical music and current affairs from the radio, but sadly we had no books except a bible.. We had only one good meal a week on Sunday and the left overs with mashed potatoes/ or dumplings/or yorkshire puddings and then bread the rest of the week, which Mum made.. Every meal had cabbage and carrots...We had a tin of salmon and salad for Saturday tea followed by jelly and tinned fruit salad. My breakfast and supper was bread and milk.. The biggest treat was bread and butter sprinkled with suger, or bread and condensed milk, and as I 'grew up' bread and sauce. All my parent's/grandparent's energy was dedicated to surviving and nourishing us. Good God, how on earth did we survive?

The problem is that now, people want ''everything'' they see on TV or in a magazine, despite not having the funds to afford them. The majority of people are addicted to some substance or other, even if it is only cigarettes and beer, and they think they have the right to continue.

Well lets be right about this..... they don't!

If you can't afford it, you don't have it. You don't borrow money, or leave kids without, to keep up with the Jones', this is a joke being played on you..

There is absolutely no shame in being poor...

We are very poor... compared to our peers.... so what?

What needs to happen is that people learn to appreciate what they have, live within their means, and start thinking about other people and what they need.

Then perhaps we will all see a positive change in society.

Those at the top are always going to be greedy, selfish Bar Stewards.... is that really what we want to aspire to?

They have convinced us that is the way to go, in order for them to get our hard earned cash, and the majority of people have fallen for it.

How sad!

Sorry for the rant, but someone needs to put things into perspective.

Instead of thinking about what we can get... think about what we can manage with... and how we can help others....only then will people ever be really happy.

Catpus. I'm only in my 20'S so can't say I share your experience but I agree with everything you said. My nan and grandad tell me about their lives and how little they had but were much richer inside that a lot of today's breeds!!!! I wish more people would follow by your example of life and realise that having it all doesn't always mean having it all! I think people should be grateful to have a roof over their head and stop feeling like they are owed a favour! Xxxx

---------- Post added 06-03-2013 at 21:30 ----------

What a fantastic post Catpus,

:hihi::hihi: well said :)

i wouldn't say that was a rant it was a very good opinion of how you have lived your life and cant see how others can complain. i get that totally, but the thing is that the saving that they will get from this is around 320 million.

i know that's not to be sniffed at but take into account the hundreds of BILLIONS that have been given to and used by the banks. that 320 million is literally pocket money in that context, but look at the impact this is having on real peoples lives. its causing real distress to ordinary working class people, around 600 thousand of them. and two thirds are the most vulnerable, disabled in one way or another.

its about fairness,the rich are literally laughing all the way to a tax heaven. there are numerous instances of this, starbucks, amazon, all four major banks, 50 odd out of the ftse 100 firms are not paying the government their fair share of tax.

so why is it, that the government is taking this 320 million from the poorest in our society? its simply not fair.

there is a rule i think section 25 of the housing act that states the sizeing for your spare room if its under this u can refuse to pay and apparenlty they cannot change this rule they have tried ill google it and post a link!!

i wouldn't say that was a rant it was a very good opinion of how you have lived your life and cant see how others can complain. i get that totally, but the thing is that the saving that they will get from this is around 320 million.

i know that's not to be sniffed at but take into account the hundreds of BILLIONS that have been given to and used by the banks. that 320 million is literally pocket money in that context, but look at the impact this is having on real peoples lives. its causing real distress to ordinary working class people, around 600 thousand of them. and two thirds are the most vulnerable, disabled in one way or another.

its about fairness,the rich are literally laughing all the way to a tax heaven. there are numerous instances of this, starbucks, amazon, all four major banks, 50 odd out of the ftse 100 firms are not paying the government their fair share of tax.

so why is it, that the government is taking this 320 million from the poorest in our society? its simply not fair.

Because they can, it's quite simple

Our dulled down British public only like to complain, with little action. we would see a quick change if mass strikes started, and if we all started boycotting the banks and large corporations, its the people who need to make a change instead of waiting for the toffs to realise they have done wrong and grow a heart to help the poor, it won't ever happen people they only look after themselves and their friends it's what they have been brought up to do .