Chimney advice/help with dripping?

Hi there,

Since removing my gas fire in the living room we have had a drip coming down the chimney.

The first chap who came put a mushroom on but the dripping still happened.

I have since paid another person to come and take the pot off all together and re-flaunch. This has improved the dripping and is now much less frequent but still drips way more than what I would expect.

So can anyone give any further advice as to what is causing this drip as we haven't had allot of rain/snow lately so am I right in thinking this could be condensation?

If this is the case what is the best course of action to rectify the condensation is it a case of having an air vent at the top and the bottom of the chimney?

Forgot to mention I have had the opening in my living room plastered out as a feature. (the missus' idea not mine) :loopy:

Thanks

If the stack is not used have u consider takin stack down below roof space and tailing it up?

Hi there,

Since removing my gas fire in the living room we have had a drip coming down the chimney.

The first chap who came put a mushroom on but the dripping still happened.

I have since paid another person to come and take the pot off all together and re-flaunch. This has improved the dripping and is now much less frequent but still drips way more than what I would expect.

So can anyone give any further advice as to what is causing this drip as we haven't had allot of rain/snow lately so am I right in thinking this could be condensation?

If this is the case what is the best course of action to rectify the condensation is it a case of having an air vent at the top and the bottom of the chimney?

Forgot to mention I have had the opening in my living room plastered out as a feature. (the missus' idea not mine) :loopy:

Thanks

If the reflaunching didnt cure the problem then its either lack of ventilation, brick/stonework problem or lead flashing.

Its very rare to have a drip down the flue from roofheight to groundfloor unless the chimney breast has been taken out.

If the flue hasn't been swept to remove the build up of soot then that attracts moisture and could cause a dripping, which would happen when it is not raining

Having a cowl on top to allow ventilation is good but having a vent at the bottom allows air to go up the flue and causes your livingroom to cool, unless you have a sliding cover so you can control it

There is only two explanations i think if you have fitted an air brick in sure this is mqndatory to comply with building reg but dont quote me on it or the flashing on the chimney has failed check for signs of water penatration else were maybe the room above on the chimney brest wall and or celling good luck jordan appleyards home improvements

It sounds like it’s the tray, the tray runs through the brickwork Bricklayers used to fit them but a competent roofer might be able to sort it.