Brian the blade bruno olive grove fc sunday football 70's

Cheers. Just noticed we are a bit off topic here on Brian the Blades thread.:|:

:hihi::hihi: ALL BLADES ARNT WE ?:hihi:

I can remember john and roger,both good footballers I used to live on walden road .alan thorpe,charlie,david burke are other names l remember.we lived at 57 .lost my brother david last year .i played for sheffield boys but there was a lot of not how good you were but who you knew in them days.a lot of great footballers never got the breaks.john you will remember john fagen another good player.your thread has brought back many happy memories. paul robinson

I was taken aback listening to Praise & Grumble last night after Orient game to hear "Brian the Blade" has been unmasked as non other than Brian Thackery aka Bruno aka Doctor Death!........my surprise is I played for Olive Grove; Ball Albion and Hallam in the 70's and these were the happiest and most productive footballing times of my life. Living on Walden Road 50 yards from Olive Grove pub and and ex-Blades junior and brother Roger was an ex-professional and England Youth international for the Blades reserves when we both left Bramall Lane of our own decision it was nature we went to play for Olive Grove and we had 6 great years with the Olive winning Sheffield & District Sunday leagues and cups - we beat Wagon & Horses and Earl in finals and semi finals with Brian playing for these later clubs. The standard of football in that league and in those teams in those days was incredible. The rivalry was brilliant and the crowds often massive. Better entertainment than United or Wednesday. Many players were Saturday players with high standard clubs Hallam (I played there) Sheffield; Boston; Winterton etc.. There was constant "derbies" this was no "Dog & Duck" footie - the big pub teams were

OLIVE GROVE; BLACK BULL; ARBOURTHORNE EA; JOKER; RAWMARSH; HOYLAND TOWN JAGS; GRENOSIDE ANGEL; WAGON & HORSES; EARL; quality players ; strong players; hard players ......we had Eric Stratford; there was Mick Fitxpatrick (see Neil Warnock's autobiography "Made in Sheffield") Roy Young .....Brian was hard but fair he used to get booked and sent off for a wild swing and miss a player .....he had a big backside to shield the ball!

After great times at Olive and a cartlidge removal and knee ligaments I moved 300 yards up the hill up Thornbury Road to the Ball Albion (Ball Inn pub next to Blades training ground)...........Brian trained us really hard and I regained my fitness with Albion thanks to Brian he was a fit guy himself (for his age!?)

5-6 ex-Olive Players were at the Ball Albion (and ARTHUR LEES SPORTS) and we had good players such as the Plumtree bros; Alan Thorpe; John Fagen; Graham Staley; Bob Melia; Mark Ramsden; Pete Moxon; Tony Wollen we could prove we were as good as the Olive Grove because we got stuck in the lower standard Sunday Alliance League and never really proved as Sunday & District Premier standard. However; was a shrewed manager and coach and we were a brilliant passing; possession and movement team....Brian was ahead of his time in that respect.

My funniest memory of Brian was to hear on the Friday he had fallen off the ladders (he was a window fitter by trade) and with a massive pot on his arm and shoulder he couldn't play following Sunday but we played at Handsworth and as often there was a touchline "fracas" and Brian hit one of the opposition over the head with his plaster pot and it shattered like a Carry-on film prop!!!

Brian loved his football and running the Albion and his self appointed title was "Dr.Death" but really he was a gent and easy to talk to but listen Brian you used to drop me too much and play yourself and ageing legs too much....I think I was too much of an ego for him to handle....I wasn't a yes man.

He liked to watch United train a lot on the Ball Inn ground in between fitting windows and running Albion and he would tell us all the dressing room gossip!

I think and I stress think Brian known as Bruno was half Maltese but not sure?

I may not recognise him now in those days he would have been a ringer for Peter Sutcliffe (sorry Brian looks only) I expect the beard has gone and he has given up with the Grecian 2000?!

Although I now live in Wiltshire (have for 27 years) I am a season ticket holder for Blades - come on Brian show your true identity - my sons says every time "its that Brian again on P&G" ..........I finished playing competitively 10 years ago for Bristol Blades a team of exiles of Unitedites in the Bristol Sunday League.....just had key hole surgery on both knees but worth all the pain......HAPPY SHEFFIELD FOOTIE DAYS still recalled. Roger lives in Weymouth in happy retirement.........my two sons have been with Professional Club Academies down south.........youngest is a first year at Hallam University playing for their footie team.........we are all the same DNA!

Brian is a Sheffield footballing character Gary Armstrong and Mathew Bell should right a book about!!!!

Radio Sheffield should have Brian on as a special guest too!

UP THE BLADES........thank god for Sheffield & District Football

Any ex-Olive; Ball Albion; Arthur Lees; Hallam get in touch

John (Fritzy) Welch now aged 60 ....still slaving:)

:hihi:

Did he also do lots of singing in the Olive? If so think I remember him too

No Brian didn't - Brian didn't have much to do with Olive - he never played for them and I never ever saw him once in the Olive - his pub was the Ball Inn at the top of Mytle Road and I never saw him sing - think you must be thinking of someone else

---------- Post added 03-03-2013 at 19:39 ----------

Thanks Roger and I worked hard to make it at United but circumstances happened and put us off path. Did you use to live half way up Walden Road and join in kick abouts with us the Welchies and the Ibbotsons of Myrtle Road. Also on the "tip" the fields across East Bank Road? Do you know how John Fagen is?.....I think he married and lived in Gleadless somewhere would be good for me to meet up again was my best mate for a long time...played at Hallam and Ball Albion together

---------- Post added 03-03-2013 at 19:42 ----------

Thanks Roger and I worked hard to make it at United but circumstances happened and put us off path. Did you use to live half way up Walden Road and join in kick abouts with us the Welchies and the Ibbotsons of Myrtle Road. Also on the "tip" the fields across East Bank Road? Do you know how John Fagen is?.....I think he married and lived in Gleadless somewhere would be good for me to meet up again was my best mate for a long time...played at Hallam and Ball Albion together

---------- Post added 03-03-2013 at 19:43 ----------

I can remember john and roger,both good footballers I used to live on walden road .alan thorpe,charlie,david burke are other names l remember.we lived at 57 .lost my brother david last year .i played for sheffield boys but there was a lot of not how good you were but who you knew in them days.a lot of great footballers never got the breaks.john you will remember john fagen another good player.your thread has brought back many happy memories. paul robinson[/QUOTThanks Roger and I worked hard to make it at United but circumstances happened and put us off path. Did you use to live half way up Walden Road and join in kick abouts with us the Welchies and the Ibbotsons of Myrtle Road. Also on the "tip" the fields across East Bank Road? Do you know how John Fagen is?.....I think he married and lived in Gleadless somewhere would be good for me to meet up again was my best mate for a long time...played at Hallam and Ball Albion togetherE]
Edited by FRITZYWELCH

When you

I was taken aback listening to Praise & Grumble last night after Orient game to hear "Brian the Blade" has been unmasked as non other than Brian Thackery aka Bruno aka Doctor Death!........my surprise is I played for Olive Grove; Ball Albion and Hallam in the 70's and these were the happiest and most productive footballing times of my life. Living on Walden Road 50 yards from Olive Grove pub and and ex-Blades junior and brother Roger was an ex-professional and England Youth international for the Blades reserves when we both left Bramall Lane of our own decision it was nature we went to play for Olive Grove and we had 6 great years with the Olive winning Sheffield & District Sunday leagues and cups - we beat Wagon & Horses and Earl in finals and semi finals with Brian playing for these later clubs. The standard of football in that league and in those teams in those days was incredible. The rivalry was brilliant and the crowds often massive. Better entertainment than United or Wednesday. Many players were Saturday players with high standard clubs Hallam (I played there) Sheffield; Boston; Winterton etc.. There was constant "derbies" this was no "Dog & Duck" footie - the big pub teams were

OLIVE GROVE; BLACK BULL; ARBOURTHORNE EA; JOKER; RAWMARSH; HOYLAND TOWN JAGS; GRENOSIDE ANGEL; WAGON & HORSES; EARL; quality players ; strong players; hard players ......we had Eric Stratford; there was Mick Fitxpatrick (see Neil Warnock's autobiography "Made in Sheffield") Roy Young .....Brian was hard but fair he used to get booked and sent off for a wild swing and miss a player .....he had a big backside to shield the ball!

After great times at Olive and a cartlidge removal and knee ligaments I moved 300 yards up the hill up Thornbury Road to the Ball Albion (Ball Inn pub next to Blades training ground)...........Brian trained us really hard and I regained my fitness with Albion thanks to Brian he was a fit guy himself (for his age!?)

5-6 ex-Olive Players were at the Ball Albion (and ARTHUR LEES SPORTS) and we had good players such as the Plumtree bros; Alan Thorpe; John Fagen; Graham Staley; Bob Melia; Mark Ramsden; Pete Moxon; Tony Wollen we could prove we were as good as the Olive Grove because we got stuck in the lower standard Sunday Alliance League and never really proved as Sunday & District Premier standard. However; was a shrewed manager and coach and we were a brilliant passing; possession and movement team....Brian was ahead of his time in that respect.

My funniest memory of Brian was to hear on the Friday he had fallen off the ladders (he was a window fitter by trade) and with a massive pot on his arm and shoulder he couldn't play following Sunday but we played at Handsworth and as often there was a touchline "fracas" and Brian hit one of the opposition over the head with his plaster pot and it shattered like a Carry-on film prop!!!

Brian loved his football and running the Albion and his self appointed title was "Dr.Death" but really he was a gent and easy to talk to but listen Brian you used to drop me too much and play yourself and ageing legs too much....I think I was too much of an ego for him to handle....I wasn't a yes man.

He liked to watch United train a lot on the Ball Inn ground in between fitting windows and running Albion and he would tell us all the dressing room gossip!

I think and I stress think Brian known as Bruno was half Maltese but not sure?

I may not recognise him now in those days he would have been a ringer for Peter Sutcliffe (sorry Brian looks only) I expect the beard has gone and he has given up with the Grecian 2000?!

Although I now live in Wiltshire (have for 27 years) I am a season ticket holder for Blades - come on Brian show your true identity - my sons says every time "its that Brian again on P&G" ..........I finished playing competitively 10 years ago for Bristol Blades a team of exiles of Unitedites in the Bristol Sunday League.....just had key hole surgery on both knees but worth all the pain......HAPPY SHEFFIELD FOOTIE DAYS still recalled. Roger lives in Weymouth in happy retirement.........my two sons have been with Professional Club Academies down south.........youngest is a first year at Hallam University playing for their footie team.........we are all the same DNA!

Brian is a Sheffield footballing character Gary Armstrong and Mathew Bell should right a book about!!!!

Radio Sheffield should have Brian on as a special guest too!

UP THE BLADES........thank god for Sheffield & District Football

Any ex-Olive; Ball Albion; Arthur Lees; Hallam get in touch

John (Fritzy) Welch now aged 60 ....still slaving:)

:hihi:

When you were at Olive was Freddy Porter & Arnie Talbot playing?

Havent seen john fagen for years.saw brian some time back dosent look any different apart from his grey hair and beard.yes we used to live on the corner same side as you and used to kick around on the fields in front of the old midhill working mans club.my mother only left a few years ago,now in a home and 92 .the olive is now closed .will try and find some of the old friends and keep you posted.

I was taken aback listening to Praise & Grumble last night after Orient game to hear "Brian the Blade" has been unmasked as non other than Brian Thackery aka Bruno aka Doctor Death!

Was it a secret? My Dad's been boring me with his stories of Brian for years :hihi:

Hiya, is this john welch who used to be a policeman,if so,then we played together for the olive. Dave burke was the manager then.i started my footballing life with mansfield town f.c.got as far as the reserves,ended up playing semi pro with teams like scarborough town etc.got f.a.permission to play on sundays.i played for the angel ,blackbull, olive and loved it .great standard.

Hiya, is this john welch who used to be a policeman,if so,then we played together for the olive. Dave burke was the manager then.i started my footballing life with mansfield town f.c.got as far as the reserves,ended up playing semi pro with teams like scarborough town etc.got f.a.permission to play on sundays.i played for the angel ,blackbull, olive and loved it .great standard.

Hi Lew Of course I remember you but you have the Welch brothers mixed up I am John but Roger was the policeman. My profession has been purchasing and supplies for 42 years I am now 61 and live with my wife Jenny a Baggies supporter and two sons Alex and Jonty, in North Wiltshire. Roger is 63 and is retired with Gill in Weymouth nad has two siblings and 2 grandkids. I played till 50 after playing in Birmingham and Wilshire/Glos. after leaving Sheffield 30 years ago, my last competitive game was for Bristol Blades in the Bristol Sunday League and that was 11 years ago and last Christmas I had to have operations on both knees but I am walking good again now.

Our lads were at Southampton FC Academy and Cheltenham Town Centre of Excellence for 6-7 seasons but never were offered schlorships mainly because at their size - tiny - but were late physical developers and are both 6ft plus now and strong athletes - Alex 22 is semi pro and just today signed for Wantage Town FC in the Hellenic Premier League - google and check out him out.....Jonty is at HALLAM UNI plays for the Uni on Wednesdays but is signing for Hallam for Saturday football when he returns to Sheffield in September living at Hunters Bar....if you know other clubs ?.........I have a season ticket for Blades but if they are poor again will watch Jonty instead in anycase I have to bring his washing up and food his mum sends him!!!!!!

I am at Bramall Lane on Friday night if you fancy a pint and chat at the Copthorne?

Great to hear from you I would love to find out where all the Olive players are I bump into Alan Thorpe but we doesn't look well

ALL THE BEST JOHN WELCH

Is this the same Bruno that ran a team at Coach & Horse's (Dronfield) in the Early 90's that Derek Dooley used to come along and watch?

is this the same bruno that ran a team at coach & horse's (dronfield) in the early 90's that derek dooley used to come along and watch?

probably i wouldn't know living in wiltshire by then - i think brian thackray had been a norton woodseats player at one time who's home was indeed the wagon & horses dronfield ground now sheffield club who have developed and modernised for all to see

Pretty sure I played for him, we used to bang our studs on the changing room floor and shout the Match of the Day theme, he was off his nut he he