Plumber advice needed

If the washer belongs to the landlord, then it's his/her responsibility to get it fixed...not for you to shop about....Just inform them firmly but politely.

I love the idea of this approach - however, it's taken me since December to get a response so I'm happy to get the thing fixed as long as its not out of my pocket - the launderette has taken enough of that already!!

Hi,

I always use and recommend Apollo Domestic Services based on Meadowhead S8 tel no 274 6977 for repairs to washing machines and tumble driers

And no - I don't work for them !!

Hi,

I always use and recommend Apollo Domestic Services based on Meadowhead S8 tel no 274 6977 for repairs to washing machines and tumble driers

And no - I don't work for them !!

No,because if you did you wouldn't be recomending them to work for an absentee landlord that has evaded the problem since December!

Well, I see it's taken you a while to actually get a response from the landlord. I would make a note of exactly how much it has cost so far in the launderette. Advise the landlord that it's her responsibility to have it fixed. Give her a time frame to work to...maybe a couple of weeks, and say (again very politely) that given the reasonable notice you have given, and the cost of launderette so far, you will have no alternative but to reduce the rent paid commensurate with the cost of repair along with the launderette costs. You really don't have to be aggressive at all.

I love the idea of this approach - however, it's taken me since December to get a response so I'm happy to get the thing fixed as long as its not out of my pocket - the launderette has taken enough of that already!!

Don't pay the rent...then see how the response time's reduced.

Im a plumber and will install auto washing mashines but steer clear of repairing them. Could be a printed circuit or numerous other things. Best to get a domestic applience engineer to look at it.

If the washing machine isn't working and you've contacted your landlady and she has said to get a repair person, do that. She will no doubt be aware that you can hold back on the rent.

Does your landlady have a portfolio of properties or is she a reluctant landlady - in other words, did she move away from Sheffield to work elsewhere (or to move with a partner) and has simply been forced to keep her house? When I moved to Sheffield we were unable to sell our house in Carlisle so let it out. It was a right pain. I remember once doing a repair (myself) in the bathroom and getting a call a week or so later advising that the shower was too hot. I knew straight away what the issue was - I hadn't fully opened a valve under the bath. Told the letting agent to ask the tenant to turn the valve - they wouldn't. Asked the letting agent to get their odd-job man to turn the valve - he had a £20 callout - he wouldn't call out as it was a plumbing job. They finally got a plumber - £60 callout - it was something like the third plumber that they had tried as other ones refused to call. He rang me up whilst he was there, said it was the easiest £60 he'd made - that was about ten years back. Sent us the bill, we paid it - dunno what we paid a letting agent for.

With yours, if your landlady has said to get it fixed - phone around people and see who will come out. DART, apollo and there's Northern Domestic Repairs on Abbeydale Road. Not sure if they all do home visits. See if they will bill your landlady direct. Advise your landlady that this is what is happening and then take action.

Regarding the washing machine - could it be a user fixable issue? What sort of machine is it? Does the drum go around? If the drum spins but it doesn't drain then my first thought would be that it is a blocked pump filter - I would class this as user maintenance rather than a repair and would expect it to be checked before calling a repair man.

When my machine refuesed to spin and drain I found a manual online and then read the trouble shooting section which led me to the filter which was behind a little flap on the front bottom of the machine. This was gunged up completely and after I'd un-screwed it and cleaned it I heard a popping noise and a wad of debris popped out of the pipe followed by the water that had been in the drum, blast and bother but with a nice clean filter the machine worked again