Advice needed for getting healthy and fit.

Hi All,

I could really do with some advice.

I recently turned 36 :o and it has given me a wake up call to get my body in gear and get more healthier.

I am 5 feet 4 inches tall and weigh in at around 9 stone so am not overweight but I am incredibly unfit and unhealthy :(

I do not want to or need to lose weight but I really need advice on getting more active and eating real food.

My current diet consists of chocolate, pringles and 20 fags a day and that is no joke!

I have the motivation to work out and eat healthy but I have no idea where to start and am scared crapless that if I start exercising then I am going to drop from a heart attack or pitch a fit half way through.

Please dont tell me to stop smoking as the last time I did I ended up putting on 5 stone and I am not willing to go down that route again....yet..

Maybe I will ditch the fags when I get my fitness in order but for now they are staying.

So, what do you suggest?

I don't really do the gym bunny thing as although I am slim and petite I know I will make a complete fool of myself by passing out after ten minutes on that walker machine thingy.

I am up for the idea of a personal trainer who will kick my ass though as straight talking tends to work better for me.

any idea's would be useful :D

You sound as if you have the basic ingredients in place: firstly motivation, and secondly you're not ridiculously overweight.

I'd also suggest cutting down on the fags! I maintained good levels of fitness earlier in my life while smoking 5-10 fags a day (I don't smoke now).

Also you'll be surprised how easy fitness comes once you start. I have two female friends who were couch potatoes and smokers. They've both run marathons in recent years.

Outdoor activities like running and cycling are great. You can go at your own pace, start somewhere inconspicuous so you don't feel like a spanner amongst others, and in a matter of months your fitness levels will be unrecognisable from what they are now.

Now's the time to start as the weather will be improving!

Thanks for the advice, I enjoy walking so shall try to start small and work my way up :)

Hi Ladystiletto,

I've read your thread with interest and I don't normally reply on here for my own reasons, but felt compelled to.

Hi All,

I could really do with some advice.

I recently turned 36 :o and it has given me a wake up call to get my body in gear and get more healthier. good, a wake up call is usually the motivation to change. And you need to change should into a must... which it seems you have, so that's a good start.

I am 5 feet 4 inches tall and weigh in at around 9 stone so am not overweight but I am incredibly unfit and unhealthy :( ok, that's fair enough, but it's inside of your body what you can't see, you need to look at or focus on.

I do not want to or need to lose weight but I really need advice on getting more active and eating real food. ok good. What wouldn't happen if you did eat real food?

My current diet consists of chocolate, pringles and 20 fags a day and that is no joke! Your right this needs to change.

I have the motivation to work out and eat healthy but I have no idea where to start and am scared crapless that if I start exercising then I am going to drop from a heart attack or pitch a fit half way through.

The fist think I would say is stop your limiting beliefs. It's an excuse that you won't stop smoking because you put on 5 stone... you have that belief that you'll do this again and have already make that decision. So guess what... that's what you'll do if that's what you think. The limiting beliefs can be got rid of and it's also a fear you have.

Please dont tell me to stop smoking as the last time I did I ended up putting on 5 stone and I am not willing to go down that route again....yet.. Limiting belief & fear... needs to go.

Maybe I will ditch the fags when I get my fitness in order but for now they are staying. Do it now, you'll feel much much better, because that's your highest intention, isn't it?

So, what do you suggest?

I don't really do the gym bunny thing as although I am slim and petite I know I will make a complete fool of myself by passing out after ten minutes on that walker machine thingy. fear of making a complete fool of yourself... limiting belief and fear, can be got rid of.

I am up for the idea of a personal trainer who will kick my ass though as straight talking tends to work better for me.

any idea's would be useful :D

It's great you are getting the urge to get your fitness up to scratch. And I have read your language you have been using and it's full of limiting beliefs and fears. A limiting belief is something you say that you can't do. For example, I can't do this or I can't do that... because of etc etc.

I'm not a physical trainer, but a lifestyle and peak performance coach and therapist and work on the psychology aspect.

You are also scared that you will have an heart attack if you start working out. That's obviously connected to having some kind of fear, in which you can get rid of.

Do you know much about the mind and body connection? Our site is currently being reconstructed so when it's done I will point you to it to have a good read or just google it.

Motivation is obviously a massive driving force behind why we do things. You need to figure out why do you eat junk food and smoke 20 a day. In which I could help you with but obviously too much to tell on a forum!

Your not a gym bunny... you don't have to be. I work out at home, in my living room... it's whatever works for you.

Over eating, or eating the wrong foods are usually connected to emotion. Start by writing down exactly what you eat day to day, do it every day and look at it at the end of the day or week... Like a food diary.

You need to start thinking and being more aware of your thoughts and language. What you are doing is self talk and telling yourself a story what you can't do what you want to do.

Something you may want to ask yourself and do:

Write down all the emotions you experience in a week. On the left hand side the good ones. and the right hand side the bad ones what you don't like. Don't edit it, just write down what you are feeling and notice what emotions you go through day to day. What this will do is give you clues to what emotions you go through day to day... so that you can change it.

You eat junk food? What wouldn't happen if you continued to eat junk food? What the reason's why you don't eat clean good food?

It's all emotional, get your mind right and you'll get your body right. I can help you get rid of all your unwanted negative emotions, like a clean blank slate and give you motivational techniques. Then strategies to keep your focus and to work out.

I'm originally from sheffield and up there every other week. So let me know if you want a peak performance coach - but remember I'm to do with the psychology and mindset... not a physical trainer. But you'll get some good ideas of good people on here I'm sure.

I wouldn't physically kick your ass but will work you hard. Please also see my linkedIn profile too. Let me know if you want that as I don't want to place it on here, but will PM you.

Hope I've given you a little to think about. Get your mind right, and your body will follow. I lost 3 stone when I practiced what I preached.

there are also a number of 'health walks' in the city

There's one from Woodhouse library

Those are a good way to get your blood circulating and breathe some fresh air

I found (more than once) that taking a martial arts class gave me the desire to quit the fags. Exercise replaces the nicotine craving with adrenaline, and your lungs just don't fancy being gunged up when they're needed for breathing properly :P

I would start by walking and then add some short faster spells in. Google 'fartlek' It is a nice way to increase fitness and best of all free!

I also quite like this site http://www.dailyhiit.com/ It is basically interval training so each session takes about 20 minutes and you can do it at home. Don't try the really hard moves at first but use the alternative easier moves. The idea is you go full out for 20 mins so it is intense! Maybe check with the Dr before you start a training if you are worried or fill in a PARQ test.

Diet is where I struggle, I love my sport, walking and the gym but love eating too many of the wrong foods. Generally eat as much as everything you want but completely cut out anything processed (crisps, pizza, meats, white rice and pasta) Make everything yourself and aim for as much veg as possible. I also have a day off, when I eat whatever I want.

Good luck, small little changes are best as you will stick to them!

Edited by Evei

for the physical part, I would start to go for a walk every day for 20min for the first 2 weeks and then switch to some more demanding activities of your choice: climbing, jogging, etc.

For the diet, as it has been said, as a start try to not buy product with more than one ingredient, drink 2-3 liters of water per day, and take some good quality fish oils supplements.

keep us posted!