PPI Insurance calls. Should we be asking them for compensation?

I've recently returned from a holiday to find charges on my mobile phone due to receiving those annoying PPI insurance compensation phone calls.

Whilst away I had around 20 of them changed at 22p each. So to receive unsolicited spam phone calls from shyster law firms has cost me around £4.40.

How can we prevent these parasites from constantly ringing with the same message and running up our phone charges?

How can we prevent these parasites from constantly ringing with the same message and running up our phone charges?

Hunt them down and cull them.

I've recently returned from a holiday to find charges on my mobile phone due to receiving those annoying PPI insurance compensation phone calls.

Whilst away I had around 20 of them changed at 22p each. So to receive unsolicited spam phone calls from shyster law firms has cost me around £4.40.

If you can find it, I recall an article on the bbc website where somebody did just that and included an hourly rate dealing with the phonecall. (it might have been ambulance chasers though).

Took them to the small claims court and won, although it sounded like he had too much time on his hands.

Not a law firm. A claims company. There's a massive difference.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

hi sorry to hijack the topic has any one got any money from ppi and does most firms charge you to do this thanks for any help ta jeff

This might help.

http://www.nevermindthebuspass.com/happiness/how-to-stop-those-unwanted-marketing-calls/

I would contact the Claims Management Regulator and see what they have to say: http://www.justice.gov.uk/claims-regulation

I'd also contact the Information Commissioner: http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints.aspx

What you have described sounds very like a breach of the Data Protection Act (unless you supplied this company with your number yourself). As you should be able to show financial loss, it is worth pursuing.

To the person who asked about making a PPI mis-selling complaint - never do it through one of these third party complaints firms. They do not do anything you can't do yourself and they charge exorbitant rates for very little.

Money Saving Expert has an excellent guide on how to make a PPI claim:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance#faq

hi sorry to hijack the topic has any one got any money from ppi and does most firms charge you to do this thanks for any help ta jeff

Dont bother with claims companies I just wrote to my bank saying that I had bank loans over twenty years and feel the ppI was inapropriate,they sent me a form which I filled in as best I could as I didn't have details of loans and I explained why I felt I was missold ie employer who pays sick pay etc and I got £7,400 and not a penny to third parties.

Dont bother with claims companies I just wrote to my bank saying that I had bank loans over twenty years and feel the ppI was inapropriate,they sent me a form which I filled in as best I could as I didn't have details of loans and I explained why I felt I was missold ie employer who pays sick pay etc and I got £7,400 and not a penny to third parties.

Sounds like you were lucky!

It took me almost a year to get back £500 from a HSBC loan. They kept sending letters back saying that I didn't have a valid claim. I had to refer it to the FOS in the end.

The same happened with a Barclay card that I claimed on later. Rather than going to the FOS, I used a PPI company. I got over £1K back in less than 8 weeks, which was much more than I thought I was going to get back.

PPI companies are opportunists, but they definitely aren't con artists and they don't rip anyone off. At least the company I used weren't. All their charges and fees were clear to see in the T&C's, no nasty surprises and it was all no win, no fee. They make it clear that you can claim the money back yourself, providing you have the time and confidence.

It was no hassle at all and I wasn't even going to bother but a mate had done it and when he told me how easy it was and explained why I had a good claim that was it one letter and one form and paid out in about 2 months ,his bank wasn't the same as mine either.