Lcd tv or Plasma ??

we were recently looking for a new TV. We went to one of the big stores, with plenty on display so we could compare. IN the end we went for LED, the picture quality was superior to the LCD and Plasma. It depends what you want it for. I am told that Plasma is brilliant for gaming.

LED is LCD, just with a different lighting technology.

Not much to separate plasma from LED these days, at least at the 'regular customer' / cheaper end the market (up to around £1.5-2k) in terms of image quality. Hi-quality plasma still knocks a few spots off LCD and LED, but then you're talking £££s and mostly targeted at movie buffs.

Used to be that plasma was much more vibrant and better-defined, with little ghosting (so yes, better for gaming & generally fast-moving images, eg sports), but not so much these days, unless you're looking at the real bottom end of the LCD market (I'm talking new sets here).

Blacks still tend to be darker with plasma than with LED (unless you go for a really good 'full LED' set), but plasma uses a lot more electricity, so generally more expensive to run.

Depending how serious you are about image quality etc., don't be "bought in" by store display sets - I find they tend to preset the picture quality of the TVs that they really want to sell you (because bigger commission etc) better than the other sets. Research a few sets, find out about the optimum settings for each set (AV Forums is a good source for that) and don't be afraid to fiddle with the remotes in-store to set them 'right' for comparisons :)

Edited by L00b

Thanks , I have lcds in my bedroom and kids bedrooms but was unsure weather to get a plasma for living room. I opted for lcd again, someone told me plasma burn images in to the screen if you leave them on .

I am not so sure how true that is , hence why I asked which others prefer. Thank you for your replies much appreciated x

Thanks , I have lcds in my bedroom and kids bedrooms but was unsure weather to get a plasma for living room. I opted for lcd again, someone told me plasma burn images in to the screen if you leave them on .

I am not so sure how true that is , hence why I asked which others prefer. Thank you for your replies much appreciated x

I think you can get 'screen burn' with any type of screen... I know my LCD came with that warning.

I had a cheap Littlewoods own brand 'Murphy' 32" LCD in the living room and the picture quality seemed fine, Mum bought me a 43" Samsung plasma for xmas, and I don't notice much difference in quality to be honest, but I haven't taken all that much notice of it for things like gaming. What I have noticed is the screen on the plasma lets off a lot more heat.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android