Treeton Dyke - Swimming

:huh: Hi YES WAS PIKE FISHING AND ONE OF THE SWIMMERS PARKED HIS CAR RIGHT ACROSS ENTRANCE NEAR BRIDGE. HAD TO GO BACK AND ASK HIM TO MOVE IT. NICE PEOPLE. BAN THEM I SAY THEY HAVE NO RIGHTS TO BE THERE AN UNRULY MOB. POLICE WERE CALLED BECAUSE OF PARKING BY IDIOTS

Ringing police for parking? Sorry but the swimming issue aside, it that really worth ringing the police?

:huh: Hi YES WAS PIKE FISHING AND ONE OF THE SWIMMERS PARKED HIS CAR RIGHT ACROSS ENTRANCE NEAR BRIDGE. HAD TO GO BACK AND ASK HIM TO MOVE IT. NICE PEOPLE. BAN THEM I SAY THEY HAVE NO RIGHTS TO BE THERE AN UNRULY MOB. POLICE WERE CALLED BECAUSE OF PARKING BY IDIOTS

What bridge are you talking (or shouting) about?

The only bridge that springs to mind is the railway bridge by Washfield Lane at the Treeton end. The swimmers park on Falconer Lane and use that end of the lake.

Sorry but you're wrong. The council has recently warned a group of wild swimmers that they're trespassing on council property and could be arrested under the "crime" of "theft of amenity" if they continue to swim in the dyke.

Ah wild swimmers, they'll soon be in season. Many people may carry the correct license to fish for them but I wonder how many are aware that you aren't allowed to use live bait for them any more :suspect:

Always beware the legalities of wild swimmer angling

What bridge are you talking (or shouting) about?

The only bridge that springs to mind is the railway bridge by Washfield Lane at the Treeton end. The swimmers park on Falconer Lane and use that end of the lake.

They stopped doing this now due to a certain angry gentleman who got upset with people disturbing him when they would meet at the gate.

They now park other side of the road where the new buildings are. A nice gesture i feel seeing as it is a public road with no parking restrictions.

Getting stranger still down there. A "nice" chain with sharp bits on has appeared on top gate. Prob unrelated to the swimmers but if anyone is going down there with children be careful the don't go running and ripping any eye balls out...

Treeton Parish Council February Meeting Minutes

"The Chairman reported that the Police were actively monitoring the situation as regards the swimming in Treeton Dyke after swimming events had been posted on the internet. Kevin Burke from Rotherham MBC was currently looking into a bye-law that would prevent swimming in the Treeton Dyke."

It appears from this that it is currently not illegal to swim in the dyke, that's not to say it is without its dangers.

Treeton Parish Council February Meeting Minutes

"The Chairman reported that the Police were actively monitoring the situation as regards the swimming in Treeton Dyke after swimming events had been posted on the internet. Kevin Burke from Rotherham MBC was currently looking into a bye-law that would prevent swimming in the Treeton Dyke."

It appears from this that it is currently not illegal to swim in the dyke, that's not to say it is without its dangers.

Interesting how people interpret what they read.

What the minute actualyl refers to is that members believe that a Bye-law exists and that people are looking into the records to see if it is so.

i.e. It may be illegal, but they are not sure.

Surely digging into records and local bylaws will only end up finding a law that allows swimming?

Prob some ancient bylaw that allowed public bathing or something?

I believe Kevin Burke met representatives of the swimming group in February. During that meeting he was very vague about by-laws, he even tried to scare them away with threats of prosecutions relating to "theft of amenity".

Since that time there have been laughable makeshift signs saying "IT IS ILLEGAL TO SWIM IN THIS LAKE", but its not certain who put them up. They featured the RMBC logo.

I believe Kevin Burke met representatives of the swimming group in February. During that meeting he was very vague about by-laws, he even tried to scare them away with threats of prosecutions relating to "theft of amenity".

Since that time there have been laughable makeshift signs saying "IT IS ILLEGAL TO SWIM IN THIS LAKE", but its not certain who put them up. They featured the RMBC logo.

The signs were indeed erected by the Royal Marine Biology Club, they are concerned that domestic swimmers may crossbreed with the wild swimmers, which would play havoc with the ecosystem

I emailed Kevin Barron MP, last year. I was copied in on the response he got from RMBC. No byelaws exist to prohibit swimming in the dyke, as RMBC has considered them not necessary.

Regarding swimmers Ulley Reservoir does not allow swimmers

Need to recheck that - a triathlon group was holding regular swim sessions there last year. Similar to Rother Valley and now Harthill Reservoir.

Edited by garryn

Dont know why everybody keeps on about R.B.C .The lake belongs to the sailing club and Treeton Dike A/C rents it off them :loopy::loopy:

Dont know why everybody keeps on about R.B.C .The lake belongs to the sailing club and Treeton Dike A/C rents it off them :loopy::loopy:

So as there's no byelaws preventing people swimming there as they have been for decades and RMBC don't own it, they should keep out of it?