Jack/John Bullivant

I've been wanting to ask about my Grandad (John Bullivant, was commonly known as Jack) on here for a while now as I understand he was a major figure in the Sheffield WMC scene. And having been recognised lately by someone who worked for him I was wondering if anyone could help me learn more about him as he unfortunately passed away when I was young. All I know was that he was a key player in the 70's (i think) around Attercliffe in regards to the WMC scene.

I am proud in regards to what I've heard about him and am extremely proud to have been named Jack also!

I hope to hear some stories from people.

Many thanks! :)

Hi Jack, I think I can give you a bit of information about your Grandad. He used to be the steward at Attercliffe Non Political club (Non Pots) on Effingham Road, the building is still there but not sure what it is used for these days. My father used to take me in there on a Saturday before we went to Bramall Lane, he used to play cards and your Grandad would sometime make the four up. They played crash, or thirteen card brag as it sometimes known. I am not 100% sure but I think he organised a trip to Majorca in the early seventies which we went on, leaving the club very early one morning and travelling by coach to Luton Airport. Holidays abroad were relatively new then so it was very exciting for a 10 year old as I was at the time. If my memory serves me right when he left the Non Pots he went to live off Staniforth Road, I remember going there once with my dad. My Dad was Frank Kerrigan and his mate was Frank Cooper, Cooperman's Dad. Most Blades fans will know Cooperman and all of Darnall certainly will. Sorry I cannot tell you any more, I will speak to my Mum and ask here if she knows anymore. Nice fella your Grandad.

Hi Jack, I think I can give you a bit of information about your Grandad. He used to be the steward at Attercliffe Non Political club (Non Pots) on Effingham Road, the building is still there but not sure what it is used for these days. My father used to take me in there on a Saturday before we went to Bramall Lane, he used to play cards and your Grandad would sometime make the four up. They played crash, or thirteen card brag as it sometimes known. I am not 100% sure but I think he organised a trip to Majorca in the early seventies which we went on, leaving the club very early one morning and travelling by coach to Luton Airport. Holidays abroad were relatively new then so it was very exciting for a 10 year old as I was at the time. If my memory serves me right when he left the Non Pots he went to live off Staniforth Road, I remember going there once with my dad. My Dad was Frank Kerrigan and his mate was Frank Cooper, Cooperman's Dad. Most Blades fans will know Cooperman and all of Darnall certainly will. Sorry I cannot tell you any more, I will speak to my Mum and ask here if she knows anymore. Nice fella your Grandad.

Jack/John Bullivant was the Secretary (not the Steward) of the Attercliffe Non-Pots for many years as well as Laycocks Sports Club, Attercliffe Radical & Foundry Workers. He must have worked with numerous Stewards & Stewardesses and Committee Men over those years and I'm sure not all of these people have gone to the Great Working Men's Club in the sky - so lets here from you - Cheers M'Dears

Jack/John Bullivant was the Secretary (not the Steward) of the Attercliffe Non-Pots for many years as well as Laycocks Sports Club, Attercliffe Radical & Foundry Workers. He must have worked with numerous Stewards & Stewardesses and Committee Men over those years and I'm sure not all of these people have gone to the Great Working Men's Club in the sky - so lets here from you - Cheers M'Dears

If its the same jack bullivant he was my father in laws best mate.

yes jack bullivant was the secretay of the non-potts i used to go in the non potts as a 17/18 year old in the 70's with my mum&dad eric&doreen marshall sadly now both passed away.we had some really good times there it was a real friendly club.at some stage another friend of mine ian parkinson was the steward there.happy days

I played drums at the non-pots for a short while in the mid 70's. Jack was a fine upstanding man, definitely the boss but a nice guy too, qualities that don't always knit together. If more clubs would have had men like him at the helm, I believe they would have fared better than they did.

Thanks Katie, I was not 100% sure after I had posted the original post, I spoke to my mum who was not sure either. I was only 10 at the time. My Dad, Grandad also used to go in the Aqueduct when Andy Devine was the steward and later on when Frank Cooper took the little Victory club we went in there. I know Frank Cooper has passed, but what a character he was. More tales from clubland please.

Was Jack's wife called Nellie?

My dad Douggie Hayward served on the committee at the Non-Pots for many years, I also knew Jack and a little of Nellie - he always used to buy me a bottle of pop as a kid when I went in the club.

I have a picture somewhere of him at either Cleethorpes or Mablethorpe on one of the club trips, sat with us on the beach.

My dad spent his life at the club - 7 nights a week and Sat & Sun lunchtime, the only time he didnt go was if the buses were not running or he was ill. When it closed down he then went to the Darnall Horti or the Lib club

Keanaz

Did Jack have a son called Roger and a daughter who's name was Diane [now Deakin]

Did Jack have a son called Roger and a daughter who's name was Diane [now Deakin]

Jack & Nellie had 5 children Kathryn, John, Kevin, Jaqueline & Jack - unfortunately the only siblings still with us are Kathryn & Jaqueline

Cheers M'Dears

Thanks everyone for your replies!

It's good to hear everyone speaking of him in such high regard, funnily enough had a family friend come into work at the weekend and speak about my grandad and how he used to work for him and how people often knew what things definately not to say to my grandad which made me laugh.

It is highly unfortunate how many people in the family have sadly left us, some good memories with each one of them. As I previously said my father (Jack) named me Jack also in regards to how my grandad often preferred to be known as Jack and should I ever have a son would definately continue to pass the name down and tell the stories of great honour and ensure to cherish the name with great pride.

Again I thank you all for your posts!

It means alot!