Smart tv wifi dongle ??

Here's a q for some of you, I have an led smart tv but it has no wifi built in,

If I buy a wifi dongle will that work or do I need to set up the dongle etc, I'm just unsure as to if it will be able to receive the signal without setting the dongle up with the tv etc, which I don't know if I can do

Not sure how they work as never had one :huh: and trying to keep wires down to a minimum !

Do you already have a pc and broadband at home?

We have a little dangler thing called a wireless bridge.

You need to do the settings on the pc at first the plug the little fella into whatever you need it in.

Ours gets used on the tv, on the radio for updates on the ecomanager and we used to use it on the sky boxes for anytime.

Do you already have a pc and broadband at home?

We have a little dangler thing called a wireless bridge.

You need to do the settings on the pc at first the plug the little fella into whatever you need it in.

Ours gets used on the tv, on the radio for updates on the ecomanager and we used to use it on the sky boxes for anytime.

Lovely jubbly will look into that, thanking you sir :D

Lovely jubbly will look into that, thanking you sir :D

Most welcome.

And it's madam :P if I were a fella I would know all the technicle terms :confused:

Most welcome.

And it's madam :P if I were a fella I would know all the technicle terms :confused:

:o in the computer section, how dare you :D

Thanking you madam :D

---------- Post added 23-02-2013 at 18:45 ----------

Right the bridge looks ok but does anyone know if i can use a USB dongle straight into the side of my tv ?

Edited by stingray-man

Ok well just ordered a wifi dongle from virgin so will give that a try thanks for the help

i did not know vm did wireless dongles

im on sky and my wireless dongle wont work. i have to buy a sky wireless connector £29.99.

The wi-fi dongle almost certainly won't work with your TV - the manufacturers of the TV will be able to supply you with one I imagine, but it'll cost a fortune.

One alternative worth looking into is powerline adaptors. Plug one into your power socket with the ethernet cable from the router going into it. Then plug in another near your TV, with an ethernet cable into your TV. Job done!

I would have advised getting a wireless dongle of the same manufacturer as your router. That aside, wired is apparently best and the best route for that might be getting a set of these:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/powerline-and-coax/work-and-play/XAVB1601.aspx#

Ordered a virgin media wifi dongle, which I plan to set up on pc then try on tv, if it doesn't work I can use it for pc instead of Ethernet cable.

The wi-fi dongle almost certainly won't work with your TV - the manufacturers of the TV will be able to supply you with one I imagine, but it'll cost a fortune.

One alternative worth looking into is powerline adaptors. Plug one into your power socket with the ethernet cable from the router going into it. Then plug in another near your TV, with an ethernet cable into your TV. Job done!

won't it do the same job as a normal wifi adapter ?

And the power line adapters are ok but the whole point is to keep wires to a minimum, which is why I'm interested in trying a wifi dongle first, if that doesn't work then will try other methods

Thanks all